Draft Rankings - USA Today

Clark44

Saw that (5) Iowa Players made the position Rankings per Draft Wire (USA Today)

Jackson #4 Cornerback
Jewell #10 Linebacker
Wadley #13 Running back
Welsh #15 Interior Lineman
Daniels #23 Interior Lineman

I was surprised that Daniels made the list with all the doubt surrounding his early departure.

Does the Football have the same rule as basketball. Where if you dont hire an agent and dont like the outcome of where you would be drafted you can return to play in college?

Jackson #4 Cornerback
Jewell #10 Linebacker
Wadley #13 Running back

I was surprised that Daniels made the list with all the doubt surrounding his early departure.
Daniels might be #23 interior lineman but he’ll be much higher as far as centers. Like KF said in his presser, there are a lot of intangibles with the kid that will make him a good catch.

Also, draft rankings never come even close to getting anything right except for years where there are one or two standouts for first pick.

Jackson #4 Cornerback
Jewell #10 Linebacker
Wadley #13 Running back

I'm surprised that Welsh is higher ranked than Daniels. I'm also surprised Jewell is so low among LB's.

Does the Football have the same rule as basketball. Where if you dont hire an agent and dont like the outcome of where you would be drafted you can return to play in college?
Nope. Once you declare in football you’re done permanently.

The basketball rule was due to a timing issue to give kids more time to decide because the combines line up so close to the draft.

I am afraid Jewell will disappoint at the combine...quickness...speed...and be a surprise dropper on draft day.

I'm also surprised Jewell is so low among LB's.
His measureables are on the low end; he doesn’t have exceptional size or speed. Once teams meet him and find out how much he has in the smarts department I guarantee he moves up.

Have to remember that these rankings are just a bunch of talking heads trying to get people to click on their articles, who’ve probably never watched an Iowa game. They don’t see the details like fans do.

I'm surprised that Welsh is higher ranked than Daniels. I'm also surprised Jewell is so low among LB's.
I won't be surprised if Jewell doesn't test out the greatest at the combine, but what he doesn't have in athleticism, he more than makes up for in football IQ and pure instincts. I have a feeling he's gonna be like Desmond King. Falls a round or two due to doubts about his measurables, but lands in the right system and proves to be one of the steals of the draft.

His measureables are on the low end; he doesn’t have exceptional size or speed. Once teams meet him and find out how much he has in the smarts department I guarantee he moves up.

Have to remember that these rankings are just a bunch of talking heads trying to get people to click on their articles, who’ve probably never watched an Iowa game. They don’t see the details like fans do.

True. I think Jewell will surprise in the draft like Angherer did, except Jewell is even more polished.

I've seen 2 different mock drafts in the last 2 days and Jackson was chosen to go 8th overall in one and 9th overall in the other.

Jewell probably will fall lower than we (he) hopes. Unless he tests out better than we all think. But totally agree with those that think wherever he does land he'll be a steal. I have a feeling he'll be a 4th rounder or lower guy. I'll be curious if he's an inside backer in the NFL. I think so but I think he'll be used similarly to Hitchens and Kirksey where he'll be kinda used both in and out. That'll depend a lot on just where he ends up and their roster I suppose.
I'd love to see Jackson end up on my Niners at 9 or 10 whichever pick they end up with. As much as they need a WR and Oline help they are in dire need of outside corners. He'd solve that. They also could have used Barkley but no chance he'll be still around that long and with all the other needs the 9ers have they aren't trading up for a RB any RB.

Jackson #4 Cornerback
Jewell #10 Linebacker
Wadley #13 Running back

Last year between OG and Center there were only 17 players drafted. in 2016 it was 22. 2015, it was 29...2014 it was 21.

Unless this is an exceptional year for interior lineman needs, that doesn't look good for James.

Last year between OG and Center there were only 17 players drafted. in 2016 it was 22. 2015, it was 29...2014 it was 21.

Unless this is an exceptional year for interior lineman needs, that doesn't look good for James.

Daniels is an interesting prospect since he's still so young. The way the NFL thinks, it's a year longer they can keep the meat in the grinder...especially on the OL. He's going to get some play on development...he's good now...but full year dedication to his craft and he's 310 with skills.

I'm surprised that may don't think Jewell will do well at the combine. I've heard his 40 speed is pretty impressive for and inside guy...4.5 to 4.6. He sure moves from sideline to sideline with the best of them. That will be interesting to watch.

This is by no means an absolute parallel, but NFL.com's 2017 Draft tracker had these pre-draft rankings of these positions end up being drafted here

No. 15 OL (Welsh) - Round 5
No. 23 OL (Daniels) - Round 5

No. 4 CB (Jackson) - Round 1

No. 10 LB (Jewell) - Round 2

No. 13 RB (Wadley) - Round 4

I am afraid Jewell will disappoint at the combine...quickness...speed...and be a surprise dropper on draft day.
It wouldn't surprise me if Desmond King, er, Josey Jewell, is a surprise dropper on draft day. Some wise NFL team will end up knowing better, and then he'll be yet another surprise at the end of the season.

Wow...if Wadley falls to round four that is a steal. He's tailor made for the 3rd down back in the NFL. Him on a linebacker in space is a miss match of epic proportions. The way the NFL isolates LBs in coverage with formations...Wadley will be the next Ronnie Harmon. Unstoppable on third down.

I still think Neiman has a shot in round 6 or 7. He's 235 and can run.

Wow...if Wadley falls to round four that is a steal. He's tailor made for the 3rd down back in the NFL. Him on a linebacker in space is a miss match of epic proportions. The way the NFL isolates LBs in coverage with formations...Wadley will be the next Ronnie Harmon. Unstoppable on third down.

I still think Neiman has a shot in round 6 or 7. He's 235 and can run.
I bet Wadley falls to about there too and it's about right. There's quite a group of RBs this year and I doubt he cracks the top 10 of em. He reminds me of the RB for the Washington Redskins that got hurt Chris Thompson. If an NFL team wants a player to do those types of things and can handle 10-12 touches a game between rushing, receiving and returning kicks he's your guy.

I think Jackson in the 1st. Daniels and Jewell in the 2nd. Wadley and Welsh in the 4th and Niemann in the 6th. I even think Bower makes a practice squad.

Latest posts