DONT WRITE OFF JOK

longtimer

I don't know what kind of a kid he is, but in the interviews I have seen he comes across as a decent kid. His two offenses are really dumb especially the second being so soon after the first but they are not enough to alter the future of a young person. Beating up your girlfriend or robbing a Gas Station are BAD. Riding a scooter when you should not be riding it is dumb.

I hate to divulge this but I was at the University of Iowa from 69 to 74 and yes I did dumb things as well. Difference being I wasnt a basketball player and I never drove without lights!

I really didn't turn out to be be too bad

Can you fix stupid? I would have given him an immediate slap on the wrist for the first offense (don't know why Fran didn't choose to do that). This offense is just down right stupid. I don't know what the punishment should be...maybe tell him if he doesn't shape up he'll have to transfer to the clones. That should bring him to his senses. Peter better not ****up any time soon or he is done.

Can you fix stupid? I would have given him an immediate slap on the wrist for the first offense (don't know why Fran didn't choose to do that). This offense is just down right stupid. I don't know what the punishment should be...maybe tell him if he doesn't shape up he'll have to transfer to the clones. That should bring him to his senses. Peter better not ****up any time soon or he is done.

I'm sure if he had a disciplinarian like the mayor to contend with he'd already have been shown the door right?

I don't know what kind of a kid he is, but in the interviews I have seen he comes across as a decent kid. His two offenses are really dumb especially the second being so soon after the first but they are not enough to alter the future of a young person. Beating up your girlfriend or robbing a Gas Station are BAD. Riding a scooter when you should not be riding it is dumb.

I hate to divulge this but I was at the University of Iowa from 69 to 74 and yes I did dumb things as well. Difference being I wasnt a basketball player and I never drove without lights!

I really didn't turn out to be be too bad

I agree. This sounds like a huge overreaction IMO.

Somebody needs to make sure he gets the things fixed on the moped. Simple compliance with vehicle safety regulations may have made this a non-issue . . . unless you think he was targeted.

If Jok was just a student at the U of I, this wouldn't even come to anyone's attention. He wouldn't be subjected to the Student Code of Conduct because nobody would notice or give a crap. How many articles have you read with the headline: "U of I Student Arrested for Suspended License". NONE. ZERO.
Student Athletes are obviously held to a much higher standard. Jok knows this, so this situation falls on him. My guess is that he will have a zero tolerance policy to follow going forward.

Somebody needs to make sure he gets the things fixed on the moped. Simple compliance with vehicle safety regulations may have made this a non-issue . . . unless you think he was targeted.

Um, he has no license. Lights and a flag won't fix that.

Bottomline is this happened about 2 months after being cited for OWI. That should have been a wake up call to NOT push any buttons or take any chances. You have a free ride to a major university; your are fortunate enough to have the talent to play D1 basketball ... In return, don't make stupid mistakes. It's not that difficult to stay out of trouble. One more strike and Peter will be looking for a new school (as it should be).

I agree. This sounds like a huge overreaction IMO.

I tend to agree. The OWI was dumb and shouldn't be taken lightly.. I'm surprised there wasn't a suspension over that one. This latest incident.. Meh. We're not talking Pierre Pierce type stuff, here.

But, I imagine Peter will ultimately end up being run out of town regardless. I hope not, because seems like the kid's got game. Sigh....

Last edited:
I think you should be kicked out after your second strike. The owi should be one strike and getting caught driving a moped without a license should be nothing. Maybe some extra running.

Now what's going to happen is he will get busted for something else meaningless like drinking under age a week before he turns 21 and everyone will go nuts and he'll get kicked out of scool.

If Jok was just a student at the U of I, this wouldn't even come to anyone's attention. He wouldn't be subjected to the Student Code of Conduct because nobody would notice or give a crap. How many articles have you read with the headline: "U of I Student Arrested for Suspended License". NONE. ZERO.
Student Athletes are obviously held to a much higher standard. Jok knows this, so this situation falls on him. My guess is that he will have a zero tolerance policy to follow going forward.

Every student is subject to the Student Code of Conduct. You're right that it wouldn't have been a story in the newspaper but Joe Student would absolutely have faced disciplinary sanctions of one kind or another. I work with students every day who have gotten reprimands or warnings for even less serious offenses that this.

I bet some Iowa State fan stole his flag. :) Fred's probably got it on his snow blower right now.

Write him off?

What imaginary audience are you directing this towards?

Its a moped, whatever he did on it doesn't matter because.....it's a freaking moped.

Iowa City Police Blotter - July 14, 2014
A criminal complaint says sophomore guard Peter Jok was stopped at 11:45 p.m. Monday on his moped at W. Market and Madison streets in Iowa City for improper lights and failure to have a safety flag. Police confirmed that Jok, whose legal name is Kacoul Dut Jok, had his driver’s license revoked May 7 after an OWI test failure, the complaint said. Bystanders reported the Iowa City police repeatedly asked Jok, "Do you have a license for the Moped?"

In other news, Iowa City Police reported a robbery at City National Bank on the corner of W. Market and Madison streets at approximately 11:50pm on Monday night. Thieves got away with approximately $150,000 in cash. Unfortunately, IC Police reported all units were busy at the time of the robbery and response time may have contributed to the success of the heist.

10418896_10152525838423189_4701346780914160342_n.jpg

A threat like him having to transfer to the clowns is extremely severe and could damage him emotionally for life.

These guys have nothing on the Dubuque police. Last night, as seen on the 10 oclock news, two armed men robbed the IHOP. While police watched the front door, the robbers walked out the back and escaped! Police are searching for said suspects.

Latest posts