Don't Overlook Fran & Recruiting

MelroseHawkins

I like the aspect that now Iowa may have somewhat of a pipeline to the E coast & New York area. This should not be overlooked as could have a significant impact on the quality of recruits in the future. He should have the contacts. Selling the midwest to recruits is another challenge.

What a benefit if he could lock down a top AAU guru from the E coast & have on staff. Possibilities!!!

Hopefully that is the case. Does anybody know if McCaffery believes in and/or is strong with establishing AAU relationships?

All we need is one or two of these guys every couple of years. Bring in big Chicago talent, supplement with the best Iowans. And then strike gold with a couple of NYC street ballers and you will have a team that the rest of the Big Ten will hate playing.

I think his east coast relationships will help. But he will be buttering his bread in the midwest, IMO...and he'll have to establish those relationships...or have people on his staff that have those.

I eagerly await to see whom he hires as his assistants...nearly as important as his being hired, IMO

I think his east coast relationships will help. But he will be buttering his bread in the midwest, IMO...and he'll have to establish those relationships...or have people on his staff that have those.

I eagerly await to see whom he hires as his assistants...nearly as important as his being hired, IMO

All we need is one or two of these guys every couple of years. Bring in big Chicago talent, supplement with the best Iowans. And then strike gold with a couple of NYC street ballers and you will have a team that the rest of the Big Ten will hate playing.

That is a good point about the Chicago area. That really could be another bonus. He used to be an assistant at Notre Dame so possibly could still have some contacts in the Chicago area as well. Two of the largest recruiting pools in the nation.

Couple that with a coach who has great player-coach relationships & a playing style that lets the guys play "free" & you have a makings of a good foundation. Things are looking up or at least the glass is half-full.

I agree 100%. It will be very difficult to get any top quality player to even visit Iowa from the east. He will need to recruit Iowa very well and then get at least one area that he can score some big points in like Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota etc. The staff will be critical. The only experience he had at a BCS school was at Notre Dame and that was 10 years ago. He will need some help at first. Don't make the mistakes Alford and Lick did.

Exactly, the assistants will be the most important part of this hire. All of these successful mid major guys can coach, they just need to have a well connected staff with major conference experience. My hope is that Iowa fans get off their high horses if some of these assistants have some less than savory ties.

Yes I agree about the assistants. This potentially may have been what doomed Todd L. the most. Lack of recruting power with assistants. I am definately not in the know, but it did not seem Todd had assistants who were well known to recruits or had a lot of recruiting power to match other programs.

Even Steve Alford corrected this after some years with the Craig Neal hire. He saw the writing on the board as well. So important in the landscape of college basketball. Quality ASSISTANTS!

Really it is only quality in one area - AAU connections. You need a big AAU guy. Go out and find one and lock him down. In a way it is almost like paying for a player rep. Sad state of college BBall, but there you go.

Take your other spots and hire good up and comers that will work their tails off.

In Iowa their are really only 1-2 players who deserve a look at recruiting each year. If this team wants to be a Big Ten contender and beyond, Iowa kids aren't going to cut it. (unless you're an athlete like Harrison Barnes.)

couldn't agree more. the sum is better than the parts.

In Iowa their are really only 1-2 players who deserve a look at recruiting each year. If this team wants to be a Big Ten contender and beyond, Iowa kids aren't going to cut it. (unless you're an athlete like Harrison Barnes.)

Iowa kids alone won't cut it but you can build a pretty solid 4-5 player nucleous around Iowa kids in each four year cycle. Don't overlook Iowa kids. They will work hard and stick it out for years. Then you just add some pieces around. See UNI for a model.

Iowa kids alone won't cut it but you can build a pretty solid 4-5 player nucleous around Iowa kids in each four year cycle. Don't overlook Iowa kids. They will work hard and stick it out for years. Then you just add some pieces around. See UNI for a model.
Maybe you should look a little closer at UNI. Only 3 of their top 10 are from Iowa. ;)

It is one thing to have recruting "ties" on the east coast when you are recruiting to a place that is 2 1/2 hours from NYC. When you have to convince those kids to commit to a place that is half way across the country, that is a whole different issue.

Kind of Okay if he gets the head job there.

Seems like pretty much a duplicate of McCaffery.

Just too much experience with the last two coaches initially hiring guys in their comfort zone.

Again, PLEASE MEDIA PRESS HIM ON THIS ISSUE!

Latest posts