Don't mean to be knee jerk, but how concerned do we need to be for next week?

HaydenHawk56

I only hope the coaches can use this game to re-focus the team. All 3 phases will have plenty of tape to look at.

Also, not quite sure what to make of the game plan for today. Hopefully bye week rust was the big factor.

I've always been concerned about Indiana. I think it's the toughest game remaining. That's said the meltdown in the game thread is amazingly ignorant.

yeah the second half was all about running into 10 man fronts and the safeties playing deep on d. Giving up the return kinda sucked but that guy is leading the country in return yards.

Outside of the return the 2nd half wasn't the chernobyl people made it out to be.

Iowa stars a new tomorrow. Indiana can't hang with this team.

Maybe this was what they needed.. a win but a poor performance in a lot of areas in all 3 phases..

Hopefully it works out for motivation factors.

I've always been concerned about Indiana. I think it's the toughest game remaining. That's said the meltdown in the game thread is amazingly ignorant.

I said it last week and I still feel the same. Indiana is going to be a tough team on the road. They can score quick and we have a tendency to be victimized in the secondary sans King. It's also another game for all the Hawk skeptics to sink their teeth into a upset and "told you so" rant.

I'd really love to see and fantastic ground game next week to eat up the clock and a few timely CONVERTED turnovers. That's a solid recipe for 9-0.

\

It's not a meltdown really. It's more about concern with the inconsistency of the efforts by each half.

Of course, some fans just care about the win, correct? Others like myself, a former college athlete and that being baseball not football, saw quite a bit to be concerned about in the second half. There's a lot to clean up.

With that said, if this were last year, Iowa may very well have lost this game late. Not so much this year.

P.S. I still don't care for Davis. Went away from the run often in the first half when it was working best. Went to the run from the get go in the second half when Maryland was looking for it. Think he had several senior moments today.

\

It's not a meltdown really. It's more about concern with the inconsistency of the efforts by each half.

Of course, some fans just care about the win, correct? Others like myself, a former college athlete and that being baseball not football, saw quite a bit to be concerned about in the second half. There's a lot to clean up.

With that said, if this were last year, Iowa may very well have lost this game late. Not so much this year.

P.S. I still don't care for Davis. Went away from the run often in the first half when it was working best. Went to the run from the get go in the second half when Maryland was looking for it. Think he had several senior moments today.

I agree. I'm honestly going to chalk up the 2nd half to Iowa being overconfident and thinking they could do whatever. I said after the 1st 2 series that I didn't like that Davis went away from the run. Iowa's line was completely blowing up the Maryland OL in first half.

We see things quite differently did I see some concerns sure but not as much as you say. Sorry if I'm not going to get all upset with what I saw in the 2nd half. I'm just not going to get all bent out of shape quite yet. Iowa at no point was threatened by Maryland IMO.

Iowa completely dominated the first half.

Last edited:
I am absolutely paranoid every week, I mane rash insane comments but I can't stop. I love this ride but it's driving me nuts waiting for the other shoe to drop. Bushmills is helping me tonight.

I agree. I'm honestly going to chalk up the 2nd half to Iowa being overconfident and thinking they could do whatever. I said after the 1st 2 series that I didn't like that Davis went away from the run. Iowa's line was completely blowing up the Maryland OL in first half.

We see things quite differently did I see some concerns sure but not as much as you say. Sorry if I'm not going to get all upset with what I saw in the 2nd half. I'm just not going to get all bent out of shape quite yet. Iowa at no point was threatened by Maryland IMO.

Iowa completely dominated the first half.

To be clear, I personally am not upset. Just concerned. There's a big difference in those two words.

As a fan I am upset about something else though. The announcers and many of the so called football experts tearing Iowa down. If I were a member of this team I'd be laughing my butt off after every victory. Especially the guy from ESPN who tweeted about Iowa being undefeated. What a giant PRIC*.

Last edited:
I was at the game, at times we looked good & other times not so much. I also wonder if the team was not clicking being that we had the 2 week layoff? Loved it when the PA announcer said that Iowa is 7-0 & all national pundits hate it. The entire crowd cheered.

bye week, looking rusty, CJ not 100% clearly, OL and defense looked bad a times (especially in the 2nd half). However a win is a win and they'll make damn sure to clean it up. The players and coaches should both have a lot of motivation to get better after today.

This season, Iowa is successful when it uses smoke and mirrors. When it attacks what the other team doesn't do well. When it plays like a Belichick team. Run one week. Pass the next. Whatever it takes to win. With the element of surprise being a big part of the game.

Individually, Iowa has more parts that aren't elite. What's most important is the team concept. Don't demand hat on hat, man-on-man action. Iowa will lose those contests. The OLine isn't good enough. The secondary isn't good enough. The QB is immobile...

Coaches have to draw up the plans to win. Plans change each week with each change in team. Coaches can't lean on conservative play because Iowa doesn't have elite enough talent to pull that off.

Only once in the Kirk Ferentz era (2008), has it been easy sledding in Bloomington.
Ever since Randel El went crazy in 1998, Indiana has given us fits, since.

Latest posts