Don't Give Up on this Team

Playing fast and playing smart aren't totally different concepts. Tonight wasn't about playing too fast. This club turned the ball over in the half court, didn't get back on defense, and was pushed around for the last 32 minutes of the game and really showed no toughness at all. Why do you think Caff was so ticked? It wasn't because MSU was too talented. It was because his club wasn't competing. Make no mistake....you are right...this club isn't that talented. And Caff should get a big shot in the arm with next year's class. What he is looking for, IMO, is toughness and competiveness. OSU and MSU are the class of the conference. But Iowa got hit by the bully and ran. If you lose to a better club, fine. But play with some fight. Do play with some toughness. Play with some pride. Play with some passion.

Playing fast and playing smart aren't totally different concepts. Tonight wasn't about playing too fast. This club turned the ball over in the half court, didn't get back on defense, and was pushed around for the last 32 minutes of the game and really showed no toughness at all. Why do you think Caff was so ticked? It wasn't because MSU was too talented. It was because his club wasn't competing. Make no mistake....you are right...this club isn't that talented. And Caff should get a big shot in the arm with next year's class. What he is looking for, IMO, is toughness and competiveness. OSU and MSU are the class of the conference. But Iowa got hit by the bully and ran. If you lose to a better club, fine. But play with some fight. Do play with some toughness. Play with some pride. Play with some passion.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

All I am saying is right now...it appears those two road wins were the outliers and not the norm for this team....the majority of this season has been abysmal, and a pretty large step down from last year. Basabe is missing in action again apparently, he's puzzling.

I'm not giving up on this team - but I'm being realistic about the fact that there is still a long ways to go in terms of infusing this program with some talent. We're still severely overmatched against teams like OSU & MSU.

Next year's class is a good step in the right direction, but that is no help to us THIS year.

That doesn't mean there isn't still a lot to play for, though, or that we won't still have some fun watching the team play these next couple of months. The team showed it can compete with other teams that are not ranked in the Top 10, and got a couple of road wins. That's more than I thought they'd do.

This team still has a good chance to get to the mid-teens in wins. Remember, we're in the worst part of the schedule right now - so I expected quite a few L's anyway these first several conference games. I just hope the team pulls itself back together and plays well the rest of the way.

we are in sole possession of 7th place and we have played most of the difficult part of our schedule already. if we can finish 7th in the big 10 ill be very happy

This. There are a lot of winnable games in the final 2/3 of our B1G schedule.

If you would have told me we had Purdue and OSU at home and Wisky, Minnesota and MSU on the road to start our conference slate and you would give me a 2-3 record I would take it 100 times out of 100.

This. There are a lot of winnable games in the final 2/3 of our B1G schedule.

If you would have told me we had Purdue and OSU at home and Wisky, Minnesota and MSU on the road to start our conference slate and you would give me a 2-3 record I would take it 100 times out of 100.
Who cares??

I have not and will be there again this weekend. This team has more wins right now then I thought they would at this point. The big ten is a lot harder then anyone had originally thought. To have two road wins at this point is more then I expected.

I just want to see them keep improving, and wish they could just get the lid off the basket.

just because he has a low post count doesn't mean you have to belittle him....

That is not the reason for my post. I could not care less about a person's post count. If they are here to contribute to the board then post counts should not matter. The poster I was responding to does nothing to contribute to this board.

After winning two on the road, we were going to get Ohio St. and Michigan St's best shots. There is no way this team is talented enough to compete with these teams when they are giving Iowa their full attention. Help is on the way, though. Keep supporting the team, and they will keep fighting their @sses off.

EXACTLY correct assessment of the last 2 games.

While no fan capable of forming a rational thought expected this Iowa team to beat Ohio State or MSU @ Breslin. No fan capable of forming a rational thought expected Iowa to get so thoroughly dominated and humiliated by Ohio State or MSU @ Breslin.

I'm completely on board for the journey and completely expected a "2-up, 1-back" climb up the ladder. These past 5 games have been 2-up, fall completely back to the ground, as far as performance when it matters. Getting beat is one thing; losing is another. That is on coaching, preparation, attitude and motivation.

Michigan is HUGE. A noticeably improved effort and performance (not even considering a W) and it's back on the ladder. Another drubbing, at home, no less, and "We're Back!" will be truth in so many ways that we thought and hoped were in the past.

Go Hawks!

Latest posts