Donovan Johnson staying committed to the Hawks

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
that according to Blair at HawkeyeReport.

This class is really impressive to me...most of the commits are kids Iowa offered off of junior tape and/or camp evaluations.

Those things are very, very important, because it means these kids were among the top targets at their position for Iowa.

Interesting. Wasn't this the kid that said he still wanted to check out other place after committing to Iowa. Interesting, I mean, in the fact that KF and the coaches didn't pull the scholly after he hinted at wanting to shop around.

Interesting. Wasn't this the kid that said he still wanted to check out other place after committing to Iowa. Interesting, I mean, in the fact that KF and the coaches didn't pull the scholly after he hinted at wanting to shop around.

Yes. He might have got the talking to: "Son, are we married, or just holding hands?"

Good I was wondering if he was still planning on taking a visit to Nebraska. I'm glad he's sticking with the Hawks.

Jon, do you think there will be a ride for DeMarco Paine? If not, do you see either Shumpert or Kirksey playing receiver?

I would like to see a gray shirt offer for Drake Ferch as well...I know one of his athletic coaches and he had hi praise for him...not going to out the coach and give Drake a big head about it though!

I agree with Digger that Donavan is a big catch for Iowa. The guy is a great talent and he's tremendously versatile. I frankly think that he gets his first shot at DE ... however, even if things don't work out for him there, he still projects very nicely at DT and OG. Given the young man's frame, quickness, and pre-existing skill-set ... his upside is tremendous.

Also, at least form my perspective, we're currently grossly thin depth-wise on the DL. Our depth barely extends past our depth-chart and we're currently VERY top-heavy eligibility-wise concerning guys on the depth chart. After all, between the next two graduating classes, we're going to be losing Geary, Meade, Clayborn, Ballard, and Klug. That's A LOT of talent and experience.

Thus, the point that I'm trying to get at here is that I truly believe that there's a decent shot for TR FR to push for game experience in 2010. Secondly, plenty of our current DL commits are guys who are pretty versatile guys who I can easily see projecting at multiple spots.

Anyhow, I'm stoked that Donavan has made his commitment more firm. However, I'd also love for Iowa to get Okuyemi too. Considering that Okuyemi is pretty high on the Hawkeyes ... that suggests that the Hawkeye coaches are doing their best to make it clear that they still want him too!

Considering that it all starts up front for Iowa ... getting quality guys on the DL and OL is absolutely essential for our future success. To that end, it appears that Iowa's recruiting class is just what the doctor ordered!

Latest posts