Dominoes starting to fall. Say it ain't so.

Shutting down isn’t stopping a virus like this and the economy wouldn’t be functioning fully! I don’t know what makes you think this but IMO your wrong. Until there is vaccine it’s going to keep spreading and impacting life as we know it.
You are correct...I should have said, "a more functioning economy".

This involves Iowa basketball directly and has stayed fairly civil so I’m going to keep it where it is for right now, but as soon as the shit slinging starts about what covid response should be and it goes off the topic of Iowa basketball it’s getting nuked.

@99topdawg started this thread with the intention of talking about the possibility of Iowa’s basketball season getting canceled, if you want to fight about covid go do it in the OT board.

I booed Jim Bain every time when he was allowed to ref. games in Iowa again, I also had no fondness for a young Mr. Hightower who I believe was also just starting his career that year and on that crew. He seemed to always have it out for Iowa for the rest of his career. He always made a terrible call or non-call that usually decided the game against Iowa. Jim Bain was on his way out but I think Hightower took all the criticism of that game very personally and never forgot.

IMO, a good scenario for us would be if the B1G says, if you have X number of players available, you play the game. Then our 15 man rotation would hold us in good stead.

TV money is really important for conference coffers so they'll play if at all possible. .

Last edited:
You know what - It would have been great if the USA had the ability to close the borders.
Hehehehe

493.jpg

We get numerous comments from posters on this forum commenting on how sterile and non-photogenic Carver Hawkeye Arena looks on TV.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until they show it devoid of fans.

We get numerous comments from posters on this forum commenting on how sterile and non-photogenic Carver Hawkeye Arena looks on TV.

I think the biggest problem is that its just not as crazy as it used to be like in the late 1980's. Yes I reference this era because it was my youngest and most impressionable years being a Hawkeye fan. But my memories of Carver was just being a mad house, with crazy boisterous fans that really were part of the game. That kind of rabidness seems gone today.

Maybe its all just a sign of the times.

I think the biggest problem is that its just not as crazy as it used to be like in the late 1980's. Yes I reference this era because it was my youngest and most impressionable years being a Hawkeye fan. But my memories of Carver was just being a mad house, with crazy boisterous fans that really were part of the game. That kind of rabidness seems gone today.

I was one of those crazy boisterous fans in the era you're referencing. The atmosphere blew the roof off the place. Students never complained about location then; we walked from dorms or apartments on the east side of the campus, or waited for the next campus. Nor did they complain about concessions or any other amenities.

Now you have student apathy, people staring at their smartphones, blue hairs at court level. Seeing games in person is still a hoot. But the craziness may never come back. Have to go to Hilton Coliseum to witness that.

I saw a tweet this morning saying the NC Central MBB team is in shut down mode due to the virus. They hope to start practicing on Sunday. We'll see if they make it to Iowa City Wednesday, eh?

I saw a tweet this morning saying the NC Central MBB team is in shut down mode due to the virus. They hope to start practicing on Sunday. We'll see if they make it to Iowa City Wednesday, eh?
Yeah once I saw the schedule released and with the way covid is rising it definitely has crossed my mind.

With that said, I haven't seen any news about this today.

They already have.

It was called the Lickliter years!!!

Iowa was leading the B1G in mid February but lost several games down the stretch. I think one was to Minnesota in triple OT and another was to Illinois in OT where we blew a big lead late in regulation. The frustration was building and the Bain game at Purdue on the final day of the regular season pushed Lute passed the boiling point.

Iowa tried to win at the buzzer in a tie game and Bain whistled a foul on Kevin Boyle on the rebound attempt. The player sent to the free throw line, the immortal Dan Palombizio, wasn't within ten feet of Boyle. Palomino made the first free throw with no time left and it was another heartbreaking loss.

Lute, famous for his stoicism, went all Bobby Knight on steroids in the post game presser. He shouted that officials who steal games from players should be in jail. And he probably added some choice comments not suitable for print.

That game left a legacy. Legend has it that Bain didn't want his game going into OT because he had a plane to catch to ref a game in Kansas City that evening. The NCAA that off season passed a rule prohibiting officials from working multiple games per 24 hour period.
The kicker was that Boyle had just crossed the half court line when the foul was whistled. To say Palombizio wasn't within 10 feet of Boyle is like saying Des Moines isn't within 10 miles of Iowa City.

The Baby Boomers' parents are now too old or dead. The Boomers themselves are old. There is so much apathy and the younger fans just don't care as much as folks of my grandparents' or parents' generation. The shit that my mom would talk to visiting fans at games was amazing.

But yeah, that place was rocking back in the '80's. My old man used to take me from Durty Dodge all the way down to IC for a couple of games every year back in the '80's, which was a big fucking deal because Highway 20 was a shitty old 2 lane highway back then and the speed limit was 55. There were only 4 teams he wanted to see. Illinois so he could yell obscenities at Lou Henson. Indiana so he could yell obscenities at The General. Michigan State so he could yell obscenities at Jud. And Michigan because he was looking for a blue van with an M painted on the side because he wanted to piss in their gas tank because they talked shit to him outside of a football game in '82. He never found that van, but I admire his desire to piss in their gas tank in January or February weather in Iowa City.

The Baby Boomers' parents are now too old or dead. The Boomers themselves are old. There is so much apathy and the younger fans just don't care as much as folks of my grandparents' or parents' generation. The shit that my mom would talk to visiting fans at games was amazing.

But yeah, that place was rocking back in the '80's. My old man used to take me from Durty Dodge all the way down to IC for a couple of games every year back in the '80's, which was a big fucking deal because Highway 20 was a shitty old 2 lane highway back then and the speed limit was 55. There were only 4 teams he wanted to see. Illinois so he could yell obscenities at Lou Henson. Indiana so he could yell obscenities at The General. Michigan State so he could yell obscenities at Jud. And Michigan because he was looking for a blue van with an M painted on the side because he wanted to piss in their gas tank because they talked shit to him outside of a football game in '82. He never found that van, but I admire his desire to piss in their gas tank in January or February weather in Iowa City.
I was probably right there with your dad yelling my own obscenities at the above mentioned coaches.

Iowa home games were a big event then Al McGuire or Dick Vitale were frequently on the broadcast team depending on which network carried the game.

Latest posts