Dolph said onside kick was illegal

PJHawk

Heard that in his broadcast of the game today talking about the Gopher onside kick - why was it illegal?

He's the only one I've heard say that and though I haven't seen the play since the game happened I'm just going to assume he's making stuff up because he's old.

I believe catch interference should have been called. You can not block a player trying to catch a free kick on the fly. Since the ball never touched the ground Jason White was illegally blocked.

SECTION 4. Opportunity To Catch a Kick
Interference With Opportunity
ARTICLE 1. A player of the receiving team within the boundary lines
attempting to catch a kick, and so located that he could have caught a free
kick or a scrimmage kick that is beyond the neutral zone, must be given an
unimpeded opportunity to catch the kick (A.R. 6-3-1-III, A.R. 6-4-1-V and IX).
a. This protection terminates when the kick touches the ground, when any player of Team B muffs or touches a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral
zone, or when any player of Team B muffs or touches a free kick in the field of play or in the end zone (Exception: Rule 6-5-1-b) (A.R. 6-4-1-IV).
b. If interference with a potential receiver is the result of a player being blocked by an opponent, it is not a foul.
c. It is an interference foul if the kicking team contacts the potential receiver before, or simultaneous to, his first touching the ball

Iowa had a player on the sideline. I remember that. Was he trying to catch the ball before one of the Gopher guys drilled him to prevent it? If so then that would be illegal but what I just read, right?

The onside at Minnesota? That kick was drilled into the ground, creating the really high bounce, was it not? Not covered by the rule posted above...

It says clearly that once the ball hits the ground that protection terminates.

I believe catch interference should have been called. You can not block a player trying to catch a free kick on the fly. Since the ball never touched the ground Jason White was illegally blocked.

SECTION 4. Opportunity To Catch a Kick
Interference With Opportunity
ARTICLE 1. A player of the receiving team within the boundary lines
attempting to catch a kick, and so located that he could have caught a free
kick or a scrimmage kick that is beyond the neutral zone, must be given an
unimpeded opportunity to catch the kick (A.R. 6-3-1-III, A.R. 6-4-1-V and IX).
a. This protection terminates when the kick touches the ground, when any player of Team B muffs or touches a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral
zone, or when any player of Team B muffs or touches a free kick in the field of play or in the end zone (Exception: Rule 6-5-1-b) (A.R. 6-4-1-IV).
b. If interference with a potential receiver is the result of a player being blocked by an opponent, it is not a foul.
c. It is an interference foul if the kicking team contacts the potential receiver before, or simultaneous to, his first touching the ball
The ball was kicked into the ground first...

It does not look like the ball was bounced off the ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-1M_NnRnM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

How was it illegal? Watch the replay of it, just after the announcer draws on the telestrator illustrating where the ball needed to go...it's pretty clear you can see the black rubber stuff kick up where the ball hit the ground.

Besides, that's pretty much the only way kickers can get that trajectory, bounce, and rapid rotation.

How was it illegal? Watch the replay of it, just after the announcer draws on the telestrator illustrating where the ball needed to go...it's pretty clear you can see the black rubber stuff kick up where the ball hit the ground.

Besides, that's pretty much the only way kickers can get that trajectory, bounce, and rapid rotation.

Thats what i saw.

Although it looks like the kicker stepped over the line before kicking it..but very close.

Not sure if the kick was illegal, but is the kicking team allowed to take out Jason White while he's trying to catch the ball?

Not sure if the kick was illegal, but is the kicking team allowed to take out Jason White while he's trying to catch the ball?
Absolutely they are...that's generally what several members of the kickoff team are supposed to do. Usually you have one or two "recoverers" on each side...the other guys are charged with plowing through anyone who tries to field the kick or block for those trying to field the kick.

Sure, if the kick was legal then it already hit the ground and couldn't be ruled interference. Moot point; disregard me.

Latest posts