Dolph needs to retire

longtimer

Listening to a bit of his pre game show He had both games from last night confused with Nebraska playing Minnesota and Northwestern playing Penn State. Even after Hansen tried to get him back on track talking about how well Nebraska played against Northwestern especially in first half he didn't seem to catch on. To end the segment he had the winner of Iowa Northwestern playing Illinois next He has been a good representative for Iowa but Maybe its time for someone else

I feel the same way about this other guy. Oh well, sometimes you just have grin and bare it. It will eventually change.

It's like John Sterling calling home runs in Yankee games...

It is "eccentric", "endearing", and lovable. :)

I'm just glad I'm not a kid anymore and have to rely on listening to the radio for keeping up with em. He's rough... It used to frustrate me so much cause he'd describe things and be wrong about well everything players names just you name it. But I'm old now and have TV so I'm good

It's like John Sterling calling home runs in Yankee games...

It is "eccentric", "endearing", and lovable. :)
Lol

He also got so confused by our hot shooting that he couldn't add. He called our 64-31 halftime lead a 23 point cushion, then shortchanged us by ten a second time early in the second half.

Love Dolph - that said, the game, especially basketball, moves way to quickly for him. He routinely says TD when there is no TD, he often times says it's a catch when it's not a catch. It makes following the games next to impossible. He never gives the score, in either sports and has a hard time explaining situational sports. In basketball he's just completely lost. It sucks but it's time for him to walk off.

He also got so confused by our hot shooting that he couldn't add. He called our 64-31 halftime lead a 23 point cushion, then shortchanged us by ten a second time early in the second half.
In fairness I heard somebody do that on the B1G Network broadcast, I thought I misremembered the score but seeing what you listed above I know I'm right!

I don't have the memory like you do when it comes to events or who had what condiments on their sandwiches back in 1986 (;)) but if there's one thing I dont forget, it's numbers.

I have been saying this to my Hawkeye friends for years now. I appreciate all the time and love he has given to Hawkeye athletics, but it gives me a headache trying to picture what he is saying. He likes to go on tangents and tell stories about former players or that while the game is in action and you miss large chunks of the game. If I am driving somewhere, I will play the tv broadcast as opposed to listening to him, and that is saying a lot.

Dolph is legend, he’s cooked tho. I imagine this is it. Enjoy it knowing that. Thats how I’ve handled it these past few years, but it gets harder and harder.

I knew JZ as a fan for basically his last 15 years. I was born in 78. He was legend, and Dolph has been the man since. He’s a great ambassador for Iowa sports. He’s just at the end unfortunately.

Having grown up in NE Iowa, I never got into the JZ love-fest but I could appreciate his contribution to Iowa sports. Ron Gonder was more my style back in the day. Dolph was a decent substitute when he began, but the bloom is definitely off the rose. No shame in someone knowing when it's time to hangup the spurs. I do hope he comes to that realization soon.

I recall during one of my recruiting trips to the field house, sitting in the press row that hung from the upper deck while Zabel chatted with my Dad as part of his post game show.

Having grown up in NE Iowa, I never got into the JZ love-fest but I could appreciate his contribution to Iowa sports. Ron Gonder was more my style back in the day. Dolph was a decent substitute when he began, but the bloom is definitely off the rose. No shame in someone knowing when it's time to hangup the spurs. I do hope he comes to that realization soon.
Are you saying it's time to pass in the songbooks on Gary Dolphin?

Oh, brother!

I'm just glad I'm not a kid anymore and have to rely on listening to the radio for keeping up with em. He's rough... It used to frustrate me so much cause he'd describe things and be wrong about well everything players names just you name it. But I'm old now and have TV so I'm good
Agree. I listen to Dolph. Not perfect but he is a Hawk. I enjoy him.A real Hawk is special. Very early blow-out with Mass substitutes needed. Only "dance" is recalled. Need early 3's from Jbo and Connor. Spread court. Next...

Several good choices around if you can peel them away from BTN network.
I've always been high on Chris Hassel. But he lives in FL working for CBS. I'm not sure if being voice of the Hawkeyes would be a dream job for him or not. But he'd be great for it if he did.

Latest posts