Does this only happen in Iowa City?

Hawkeye101

I'm struggling to get things square in my mind, so help me out here.

Do situations like DJK happen only in Iowa City? Are we somehow cursed with players that cannot understand how to keep themselves on the straight and narrow?

I have a really hard time believing that the same, or at least similar situations occur in Columbus, State College, or for that matter any other college campus. Either we are just cursed, or the the ICPD is one amazing organization. We have plenty of issues on the SE side of IC that the ICPD can't seem to get under control, but anytime a football player does anything wrong, they seem to be right on top of it. That's an amazing track record.

Trust me, I don't condone the behavior, not one bit, but how is it that these things always seems to be "discovered" and "uncovered" in Iowa City, but never seem to occur much of anywhere else? Is the rift between the City of Iowa City and the University of Iowa so deep that they drive their agenda that far?

Signed
Confused in Iowa City

Cops suck man. Plain and simple they would rather make an arrest that leads to the front page of the paper than an arrest that doesn't.

Are you suggesting that the ICPD should overlook drug dealing if it involves a football player?

Do a google search on "college football players arrested for drugs" and you will be amazed at how much turns up just from 2010. I'm not saying what DJK did is fine, far from it, but Iowa City isn't the only place this happens.

To answer the OPs question - no this does not only happen in Iowa City. Oct 13 the Daily Evergreen reported on two arrests at Washington State - the football players were arrested when 38 mary jane plants were found in their home.

Also this year, a player from West Texas A&M was arrested for possesion and manufacture of 'shrooms.

Just take a look at BadJocks.com | Where COPS meets SportsCenter. There's a lot more arrests happening than we hear of - at all levels of sports - in our local media or ESPN.

Police should enforce no matter what your title is in life. It does seem interesting though how our players seem such easy marks for them. But the rub is, it should not be that hard to see why they (the Iowa athletes) get busted by the police. Those athletes that break the rules are young, probably not all that bright off the field or court, and know a lot of people......some people who are willing to tell things to get things in exchange.

If you are a celebrity figure, you have a mark on your back. I think it would be harder for the police to bust average joe citizen doing drugs in the privacy of their own home versus a well known college athlete doing the same thing.

Drugs Just Kill your career DJK. This should be another lesson to athletes out there thinking about going down the wrong path of risky behavior.

The SE side of the city thing exists in a lot of places. However, people who live in those places are not necessarily as open to cooperation with the police. But, if someone is engaging in noticeable behavior that would occur in one of those areas in an area outside of one of those regions, the possibility of assistance from the community is much higher.

Seems like something like that could have occurred here, because of the fact that the police had a warrant. Otherwise, they might have been tipped off by someone they busted for possession.

IC does have some factors that make it a likely place for these types of issues. 1) Relatively low crime 2) Significant law enforcement resources per capita 3) Inviting partying atmosphere (I know that the anti-21 only and tailgating crowd would disagree, but believe me it is still way more open to partying than the vast majority of other places.) 4) fairly small geographic area for patrolling.

But like others have said, It happens all over.

No, this does not just happen in Iowa City. To put this in context of some people saying 'they aren't surprised'. How about this story. Columbia University kids busted for selling candy laced with drugs:

NYC officials bust Ivy League coke, LSD, pot ring - Yahoo! News

It happens everywhere. Can't blame this on the police for doing their jobs. DJK messed up and will pay for it. I would rather be a mediocre team who holds its players accountable than a National Champion in the mold of Miami.

UNC had three or four players arrested for drugs in the off season.

Oregon lost their QB due to drugs (and other laptop issues)

Gerald Mccoy tested positive for mary jane during the combine.

Those are just three instances off the top of my head.

I'm struggling to get things square in my mind, so help me out here.

Do situations like DJK happen only in Iowa City? Are we somehow cursed with players that cannot understand how to keep themselves on the straight and narrow?

I have a really hard time believing that the same, or at least similar situations occur in Columbus, State College, or for that matter any other college campus. Either we are just cursed, or the the ICPD is one amazing organization. We have plenty of issues on the SE side of IC that the ICPD can't seem to get under control, but anytime a football player does anything wrong, they seem to be right on top of it. That's an amazing track record.

Trust me, I don't condone the behavior, not one bit, but how is it that these things always seems to be "discovered" and "uncovered" in Iowa City, but never seem to occur much of anywhere else? Is the rift between the City of Iowa City and the University of Iowa so deep that they drive their agenda that far?

Signed
Confused in Iowa City

If the University were in a larger city (and possibly a more ethnically diverse city), I think that things would possibly be a little different.

The football players are in a fishbowl in Iowa City. Iowa City is a small town, and the football players are visible and highly recognizable. That's not so true in other cities.

I'm not sure why, exactly, the ICPD does such a fine job with the football players, and maybe not such a fine job in other areas. I don't live there anymore, so I can't speak to to that.

It is uncanny how every 6'5" in Iowa City who is out drinking too late seems to get arrested, for example. I don't know.

Like you, I certainly don't condone the behavior, and if DJK did something illegal he needs to suffer the consequences. It does make one wonder if the ICPD is focusing on university athletes, though. There isn't such a microscope in, say, Minneapolis.

Latest posts