Does the move with BF help recruiting or hurt it

clim3

You gotta think it helps at WR and QB but I wonder about TE and RB and maybe OL. I just hope Parker and Woods stay. I’d be ok with Woods being OC honestly

Well everything now is about the short term. Are any of the current kids committed for next yr going to jump ship? That's a good question and we may not get that answer for a month or more till they get closer to signing day. Past that till they hire a new one (and see if KF is even coming back) everything is a crapshoot

I dunno.

I actually think it's a bit of a wash in the longterm, in general. I think after 2 years of this, you bet there's some kids questioning coming to Iowa based on performance. Not necessarily Brian "as a person". Just "results". So, short term it's a plus.

I've said it repeatedly that Brian must be a decent chap. He seems pretty genuine in every instance I've heard him speak publicly. No clue what he's like on the field and the locker room. But, after 2 years, Brian was basically in the black when it comes to the portal. I know the first year was a lot of feeling out. Sure, a few left, but Jones is the only one who's proven out to be a missed opportunity. And he did go to play with his high school buddy. But, you add Cade McNamara. My biggest gripe (outside of offensive performance) is that he waited one week too long last year leaving Petras out to dry. Kinda felt like he was being thrown under the bus.

Given that large portions of a given Iowa team are from...Iowa....that he's somehow lost out? Sure, Proctor. But...that happens. Not the first, won't be the last. Kyle Orton, anyone? Otherwise, I haven't seen a ton of griping on messageboards from people who follow the recruiting that would indicate Iowa wasn't getting the kind of players 'we' want and have made the team successful. Other than the people who expect a classful of 5 stars, which just ain't gonna happen. I mean, on paper....was Petras a bad get? I still think we have no idea what kind of college QB Petras could have been. Maybe not great, but nothing like he wound up. I think we're seeing the same thing on the o-line. Something's fundamentally flawed in the Xs and Os, theory, and development of this offense.

My son knows a fair number of players on the team...only because he became friends with a few in the dorm freshman year. He doesn't press for inside info. He does get some, like yesterday morning. Nothing beyond what we all know now, he just knew a couple hours before stuff made it online. (Yah, he told me....but...I didn't want to betray his confidence or his friendship....and I didn't wanna be "that guy" who says he "has it on good authority"). One thing he never has had even a whiff of, is any kind of anger or animosity about Brian or any of the other coaches. Now, it's possible he does steer clear of that kind of info and doesn't dig for it. Or isn't on a friendship level where that would come out. Doesn't mean there isn't some.

Well everything now is about the short term. Are any of the current kids committed for next yr going to jump ship? That's a good question and we may not get that answer for a month or more till they get closer to signing day. Past that till they hire a new one (and see if KF is even coming back) everything is a crapshoot
With the portal looming out there it will be very important to make an announcement on Brian’s replacement as soon as possible. A wise person would have already been mall shopping.

You ever get to a point when your old car is wearing out and you know it’s time to start shopping? Been there, done that! You pull into the lot a slowly check out what’s available. In the corner of your eye you are watching the sales people slowly lurking in the foreground. Yet you’re not at the point where you want deal with them so you just slowly drive through. You might make a quick stop walk up and check sticker price and jump back into your old car while watching the salesman walking over toward you (cue the sound track to the movie JAWS).

Maybe no one for Iowa has gotten into the water yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t at least sat on the beach. It will be important in keeping the few talented players we currently have and the ones we might get through the portal, to jump in and buy a new car or truck. Hopefully something sleek and flashy, maybe even sexy. We’ve seen what not sexy looks like.

That's very interesting. Brian must come across much better in person than he does in press conferences or in media interviews.

Whenever I see transcripts from interviews, Brian in first couple of years came across as a smug incoherent babbling idiot. Later when things bottomed out in 2022, he came across as more humble, but also as somebody who had given up and had no idea how to fix the offense. He did the best he could and nothing was working. It was like he was begging to be fired.

But NEVER have I listened to Brian and thought to myself, yup he's the right guy to be the OC. Maybe it was just me. It's good to know others think he is a good guy.

It helps short term but what Kirk does at the EOY really dictates all of it. If the rumors are true that this was something that Kirk very much disagreed with, it could mean the end of the road for Kirk and if that's the case, then recruiting is fucked for the short term future because everythings on the table at that point, portal, current class and future classes are in doubt, whatever the case.

One of my first reactions to BG's press release was that the specific timing of the release was done to provide clarity for the players prior to the end of the season. If Iowa loses two of the next 3 games, you can bet plenty of the offensive skill players would be looking for a new team before the bowl game. The timing of McNamara's statement that he plans to return next year, combined with knowledge that there will be a new OC, is probably the best scenario possible when it comes to trying to keep guys out of the portal. Getting a new OC named immediately after the bowl game will be key to recruiting.
It's probably too much to ask, but a young, up-and-coming OC with no Iowa connections could provide a nice balance with the stability KF provides. Like I said, probably too much to ask.

One of my first reactions to BG's press release was that the specific timing of the release was done to provide clarity for the players prior to the end of the season. If Iowa loses two of the next 3 games, you can bet plenty of the offensive skill players would be looking for a new team before the bowl game. The timing of McNamara's statement that he plans to return next year, combined with knowledge that there will be a new OC, is probably the best scenario possible when it comes to trying to keep guys out of the portal. Getting a new OC named immediately after the bowl game will be key to recruiting.
It's probably too much to ask, but a young, up-and-coming OC with no Iowa connections could provide a nice balance with the stability KF provides. Like I said, probably too much to ask.
What if Cade doesn't like the next OC choice? What if NONE of the players like this move? What if Kirk leaves at the end of the season? Maybe the guys really like Brian. Maybe the guys coming in really like Brian. Maybe this uncertainty is used against them on the trail? I don't think there's anything about Kirk Ferentz can offer to another OC. Sure as heck can't offer stability at his age. He's not going to handcuff his own kid for 2 seasons and then suddenly let another OC just come in and start making changes and calling shots. He can't offer opportunity to showcase your skill as an OC. He can literally offer the chance to coach in the B1G and that's about it. If you've seen how it's ended for the other OC's, why are you taking THAT gig if you have talent and options? I in fact believe that if Kirk is given the option to make the next OC hire, it will be worse than Brian. I am hopeful this is it for Kirk because I don't see any way forward with him at the top being any different.

There may be conditions imposed on Kirk with regard to the next hire. And he may not like that. But....if there are conditions it is because this situation happened and then went on too long.

What if Cade doesn't like the next OC choice?
I can't imagine he has tons of options with more upside and opportunity than Iowa.

What if NONE of the players like this move?
If NONE of the players like this move, I would find it hard to believe. If it somehow came out that way, then we just remember what 1999 and 2000 were like and do our best to remember what 2001-2005 were like.

What if Kirk leaves at the end of the season?
We trust that they will find someone who will be compelling enough to keep many existing players and lead the program onward just like Kirk did. And if that doesn't work, we'll just join the coaching carousel like almost every other school until we find one.

Maybe this uncertainty is used against them on the trail?
I'm reasonably sure, in some cases that the certainty was used against them on the trail. I assume that every angle is used, misused, and abused on the trail.

I'm not worried. Brian was the problem with the offense. Not saying Kirk doesn't have a hand in it. But, he has proven many times in the past that his hand is valuable. Brian has not. I'm happy to see Kirk stay. If he goes, I can live with that too...assuming he doesn't go with public bitterness and anger. I would like to have nothing but fond thoughts. I think you'd agree with me that It's not like it's an unproven and desperate program. I don't think they will have any problems filling any roles with competent people. Assuming they're not related to anyone currently there. I've said it a zillion times. It's not like we're Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers....or a 100 other division 1 teams.

I can't imagine he has tons of options with more upside and opportunity than Iowa.

If NONE of the players like this move, I would find it hard to believe. If it somehow came out that way, then we just remember what 1999 and 2000 were like and do our best to remember what 2001-2005 were like.

We trust that they will find someone who will be compelling enough to keep many existing players and lead the program onward just like Kirk did. And if that doesn't work, we'll just join the coaching carousel like almost every other school until we find one.

I'm reasonably sure, in some cases that the certainty was used against them on the trail. I assume that every angle is used, misused, and abused on the trail.

I'm not worried. Brian was the problem with the offense. Not saying Kirk doesn't have a hand in it. But, he has proven many times in the past that his hand is valuable. Brian has not. I'm happy to see Kirk stay. If he goes, I can live with that too...assuming he doesn't go with public bitterness and anger. I would like to have nothing but fond thoughts. I think you'd agree with me that It's not like it's an unproven and desperate program. I don't think they will have any problems filling any roles with competent people. Assuming they're not related to anyone currently there. I've said it a zillion times. It's not like we're Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers....or a 100 other division 1 teams.
Have you seen the transfer market for QB's? I think Cade would have a lot of interests.

Everything else you said, I agree with. Iowa is an attractive coaching job and the program is on solid footing. If we have a coaching carousale that likely means Iowa football is a toilet bowl. I'll have a hard time staying engaged and I'll find different ways to spend my Saturdays if that's the case.

I think Iowa is in a weird spot with the conference changes and expansion and with it also being the end of their HOF coach. I don't know how they will do with it, but gun to my head or if you wanted to drop money on it, I would bet the chances are better that it's lousy vs. winning 70% of it's games, putting the 10th most guys in the NFL, having the D we have, having the ST focus we have etc.... I'm not saying that's because Kirk is some irreplaceable coach and Iowa will fall into the duldrums of the sport, I am saying that because that likely was going to happen either way.

Have you seen the transfer market for QB's? I think Cade would have a lot of interests.

Everything else you said, I agree with. Iowa is an attractive coaching job and the program is on solid footing. If we have a coaching carousale that likely means Iowa football is a toilet bowl. I'll have a hard time staying engaged and I'll find different ways to spend my Saturdays if that's the case.

I think Iowa is in a weird spot with the conference changes and expansion and with it also being the end of their HOF coach. I don't know how they will do with it, but gun to my head or if you wanted to drop money on it, I would bet the chances are better that it's lousy vs. winning 70% of it's games, putting the 10th most guys in the NFL, having the D we have, having the ST focus we have etc.... I'm not saying that's because Kirk is some irreplaceable coach and Iowa will fall into the duldrums of the sport, I am saying that because that likely was going to happen either way.

I'm pretty optimistic. I do agree it's an inflection point...(college football as a whole, conferences, portal, NIL). I don't think we will see consistent doldrums. Sure, it'll be harder. But we said the same kind of thing when PSU came to town. And Kirk went .500 against them.

It's just that the "off" seasons will look a little different. 1-2 wins will be 1-2 more losses instead. But there will be years when that doesn't happen. Just the in between years won't be as satisfying because there'll be no easy way to back into the B10 championship. But they'll be there again. Kirk or otherwise.

Also, I don't doubt a lot of teams would be interested in Cade. Just how many of them will interest him? Probably only one team has a better record against his former team than Iowa over the last 20+ years.

I'm pretty optimistic. I do agree it's an inflection point...(college football as a whole, conferences, portal, NIL). I don't think we will see consistent doldrums. Sure, it'll be harder. But we said the same kind of thing when PSU came to town. And Kirk went .500 against them.

It's just that the "off" seasons will look a little different. 1-2 wins will be 1-2 more losses instead. But there will be years when that doesn't happen. Just the in between years won't be as satisfying because there'll be no easy way to back into the B10 championship. But they'll be there again. Kirk or otherwise.

Also, I don't doubt a lot of teams would be interested in Cade. Just how many of them will interest him? Probably only one team has a better record against his former team than Iowa over the last 20+ years.
You may be right...and I appreciate your Penn St. example.
I think the list of teams knocking on McNamara's door would have been short, however. In the past couple years he's had not 1, not 2, but 3 major leg injuries -- requiring two surgeries. Realistically, the odds of him being able to complete an entire season of Power 5 football as QB seem minimal. I'm hoping he beats the odds.

I dunno.

I actually think it's a bit of a wash in the longterm, in general. I think after 2 years of this, you bet there's some kids questioning coming to Iowa based on performance. Not necessarily Brian "as a person". Just "results". So, short term it's a plus.

I've said it repeatedly that Brian must be a decent chap. He seems pretty genuine in every instance I've heard him speak publicly. No clue what he's like on the field and the locker room. But, after 2 years, Brian was basically in the black when it comes to the portal. I know the first year was a lot of feeling out. Sure, a few left, but Jones is the only one who's proven out to be a missed opportunity. And he did go to play with his high school buddy. But, you add Cade McNamara. My biggest gripe (outside of offensive performance) is that he waited one week too long last year leaving Petras out to dry. Kinda felt like he was being thrown under the bus.

Given that large portions of a given Iowa team are from...Iowa....that he's somehow lost out? Sure, Proctor. But...that happens. Not the first, won't be the last. Kyle Orton, anyone? Otherwise, I haven't seen a ton of griping on messageboards from people who follow the recruiting that would indicate Iowa wasn't getting the kind of players 'we' want and have made the team successful. Other than the people who expect a classful of 5 stars, which just ain't gonna happen. I mean, on paper....was Petras a bad get? I still think we have no idea what kind of college QB Petras could have been. Maybe not great, but nothing like he wound up. I think we're seeing the same thing on the o-line. Something's fundamentally flawed in the Xs and Os, theory, and development of this offense.

My son knows a fair number of players on the team...only because he became friends with a few in the dorm freshman year. He doesn't press for inside info. He does get some, like yesterday morning. Nothing beyond what we all know now, he just knew a couple hours before stuff made it online. (Yah, he told me....but...I didn't want to betray his confidence or his friendship....and I didn't wanna be "that guy" who says he "has it on good authority"). One thing he never has had even a whiff of, is any kind of anger or animosity about Brian or any of the other coaches. Now, it's possible he does steer clear of that kind of info and doesn't dig for it. Or isn't on a friendship level where that would come out. Doesn't mean there isn't some.
Leo Durocher.....

I think the list of teams knocking on McNamara's door would have been short, however. In the past couple years he's had not 1, not 2, but 3 major leg injuries -- requiring two surgeries. Realistically, the odds of him being able to complete an entire season of Power 5 football as QB seem minimal. I'm hoping he beats the odds.
Agreed. Nothing against Cade and I hope he comes back better then ever, but the Cade we saw this year is nothing more then a sliver of what he once was. The Cade we see recovering from another surgery next year, may be a sliver of what he was this year. There's a great chance that we never see the Cade we were hoping for when he originally entered the program.

You do have a point with his injuries. Now, let's look at it from the lense of Iowa. Iowa is going to head into NEXT season with a QB that has had not 1, not 2, but 3 major leg injuries. QB sneak likely off the table. Roll outs off the table. Assuming Cade comes back, again, does it matter who the OC is at Iowa lol? He's bound to suck, especially if you feel the opportunities would be limited for him on the open market.... now he's who Iowa "has".

I hope KF retires at this point because there is no real sign to be optimistic for things moving forward for this offense.

Latest posts