Does the Defense really still win Championships?

hawkfan1319

This is controversial , but I think that an explosive elite offense and a mediocre defense is about all it takes to be an elite team.

After watching Baylor/Washington and now the Rose Bowl, I think I'm going to enjoy watching the rematch.

Sadly, this wouldn't even make into the top 10 dumbest posts of the past week.

Defense doesn't win championships, well only if you don't include the two teams playing for the championship.

LSU and Alabama also have great offenses. Or at least very good offenses.

LSU averages 38.5 points per game, 12th in the nation.
Alabama averages 37.4 points per game, 14th in the nation.

We are the living proof that a good defense and a crappy offense can almost always just be mediocre . Oregon who has a high powered offense rarely loses. Maybe your tunnel vision of perspective might be blinding you. I didn't necessarily mean the title game. Conference title games can be championships too. As the SEC has shown today, they are not the top conference even with their wins today.

I'd say yes. If it didn't Oregon or Baylor would be playing in the NC game. Defense wins championships, high powered explosive teams with crap defenses wins Rose Bowls and Valero Alamo bowls.

SEC Defense still wins championships, but slower defenses no longer win championships. It is about as academic as it gets.

black.jpg

This is controversial , but I think that an explosive elite offense and a mediocre defense is about all it takes to be an elite team.

To be an elite team is not the same as being a national championship team. Oregon is an elite team, but they aren't a national championship team. There's a reason that LSU, a team with fantastic defense and mediocre offense, whipped up on Oregon earlier this year. Defense is still king, although there's some wiggle room if you have a TRUE game-changer (Vince Young/Cam Newton).

Latest posts