Does the Big XII have the worst locations of any conference?

Last edited:
Damn. I made that common mistake...overlooking Columbus. It's the 32nd largest SMSA in the Country. Just behind San Jose, and just ahead of Charlotte, NC.
It may be bigger than Minneapolis proper, but that's why you really have to use SMSAs. They're a truer representation, as some cities like Minneapoliis are border-locked...while others like Omaha continue to sprawl outward. And the borders in most Metropolitan areas are insignificant in terms of commerce.

Columbus used to be the answer to that great trivia question... What's the largest metropolitan area without a major league sports franchise?

Without cheating...anybody care to guess what the answer is now?

Did i win?

Yeah, that was too easy. OK...leaving out Vegas becuase of it's obvious handicap (pun intended)... gambling What's the NEXT largest SMSA without a pro franchise. NO cheating.

HINT: it's listed among the 3 conferences discussed in the thread.

Austin

I bow to the stat-master. :D

You wanna have fun at a sports bar? Have a bunch of guys throw money into the pot...and see who can list (write down) the most teams in the 4 major sports leagues. Hockey is a tough one...but using MLB, NFL and the NBA it's a fun challenge.

Last edited:
I bow to the stat-master. :D

You wanna have fun at a sports bar? Have a bunch of guys throw money into the pot...and see who can list (write down) the most teams in the 4 major sports leagues. Hockey is a tough one...but using MLB, NFL and the NBA it's a fun challenge.

MLS would be tough, i know Columbus has and MLS and NHL team. Crew and Blue Jackets

If we're giving awards to the conference with the best towns, the PAC 12 wins in a slam dunk. The only horrible places are Tuscon and Pullman.

Latest posts