Does the Big XII have the worst locations of any conference?

BSpringsteen

Great:

Austin

Very Good:

Columbia
Lawrence
Norman

You couldn't pay me to live there:

Lubbock
College Station
Waco
Manhattan
Stillwater
Ames

That is 60% of your conference, in unlivable locales.

Waco's not that bad.

(Actually, it has some awful infrastructure. After my wife and I are done with school, I highly doubt we will stay here.)

Also, more than half the SEC's locations are in Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, and Kentucky. I would say the SEC has worse locations.

We'll do the SEC:

Great:
Nashville

Very Good:
Athens, GA
Gainesville
Knoxville
Lexington
Oxford
Baton Rouge
Fayetteville (I've been there, it's a great little college town)

Average:
Columbia
Auburn

Couldn't pay me to live there:
Tuscaloosa
Starkville

Starkville is the only real crap one.

Fayetteville is in a beautiful area and just down the road from all the Walmart Bentonville money. Very, very livable.

Starkville is the only real crap one.

Fayetteville is in a beautiful area and just down the road from all the Walmart Bentonville money. Very, very livable.

Isn't Bentonville in a dry county? Any town within a 50 mile radius of a dry county is ****!

The only truly brutal locale in the B1G is West lafayette. East Lansing is pretty nice even though lansing isn't. Champaign is ok

Evanston stinks as a college town but is a great place to live.

If you count East Lansing and Minneapolis, you also have 5 state capitol metro areas.

I would say 3, Columbus is pretty big...

Damn. I made that common mistake...overlooking Columbus. It's the 32nd largest SMSA in the Country. Just behind San Jose, and just ahead of Charlotte, NC.
It may be bigger than Minneapolis proper, but that's why you really have to use SMSAs. They're a truer representation, as some cities like Minneapoliis are border-locked...while others like Omaha continue to sprawl outward. And the borders in most Metropolitan areas are insignificant in terms of commerce.

Columbus used to be the answer to that great trivia question... What's the largest metropolitan area without a major league sports franchise?

Without cheating...anybody care to guess what the answer is now?

Last edited:
Damn. I made that common mistake...overlooking Columbus. It's the 32nd largest SMSA in the Country. Just behind San Jose, and just ahead of Charlotte, NC.

It used to be the answer to that great trivia question... What's the largest metropolitan area without a major league sports franchise?

Without cheating...anybody care to guess what the answer is now?

Vegas

Latest posts