Does Lick need to win A Big 10 game to keep his job

If we can get to .500 next year, this program is in good shape. Why do I say this? Think about it, that will mean we will have improved a ton with the players we have: SR (Cole) JR (Gatens, Archie, Fuller, & Brommer) SO (Payne, May, Cougil) FR (Larsen, Brust, Marble, & McCabe).

That in turn means we return all the players but Cole, and I would expect us to make the NCAA's in year 5 then. I think even if you fire Lick after year 4 then, whoever comes into the program should be expect to win right away with those players, seeing that kind of improvement.

Listen I get the argument that is shouldn't have taken this long, and getting back to .500 shouldn't be the goal, etc. I agree with that myself, yet the facts are the fact, and the fact is the team is not good this year. If they bounce back to .500 after the year they will have this year, that IS improvement, and is a sign we may have turned the corner finally.

Exactly. People that are so ready to fire Lick do not understand the state of the program. This program has so many problems, and we haven't hit the bottom of the hole yet. This season (with probably zero Big Ten wins) is probably, and hopefully, the bottom.

But, to mix metaphors, there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's a looooonnnnnngggggg tunnel, and you had better get used to it.

Are you expecting another coach to come in and magically turn everything around? You are dreaming. Even if we got a magician for a coach, he would probably bring with him lots of NCAA violations, players in trouble with the law, etc.

Lick is a good guy. Give him as much time as you gave Alford. Actually, give him more.

Not to mention, the program Lick inherited was much worse than the program that Steve inherited. Remember that Mr. Davis's last team made the Sweet 16 and Steve was here the following season.

This is total BS but it's been argued enough.

This is total BS but it's been argued enough.

How is it BS? What part is untrue?

Mr. Davis's final team at Iowa made the Sweet 16, then Alford arrived. In Alford's first game, we defeated #1 UConn. You don't do that without having some talent on the floor.

Do you honestly believe that in Lick's first game at Iowa we could have defeated the #1 team in the nation? Hell no.

Alford's first team was far better than Lick's first team. It's not even up for debate.

That being said, I'm not defending Lickliter. I was a fan of his until the past few weeks, and now I'm to the point where I wouldn't mind seeing him go. And again, back to the original post, if we go 0-19 in the Big 10, Lick has to go. You can't allow that to happen.

How is it BS? What part is untrue?

Mr. Davis's final team at Iowa made the Sweet 16, then Alford arrived. In Alford's first game, we defeated #1 UConn. You don't do that without having some talent on the floor.

Do you honestly believe that in Lick's first game at Iowa we could have defeated the #1 team in the nation? Hell no.

Alford's first team was far better than Lick's first team. It's not even up for debate.

That being said, I'm not defending Lickliter. I was a fan of his until the past few weeks, and now I'm to the point where I wouldn't mind seeing him go. And again, back to the original post, if we go 0-19 in the Big 10, Lick has to go. You can't allow that to happen.

I don't think that is true at all. Do you remember how many players graduated or left off of the sweet 16 team?

Guys like Jason Smith and Ryan Luersman were getting minutes. It was basically Oliver and Jaacks and a bunch of scrubs.

I don't think that is true at all. Do you remember how many players graduated or left off of the sweet 16 team?

Guys like Jason Smith and Ryan Luersman were getting minutes. It was basically Oliver and Jaacks and a bunch of scrubs.

This is true. People that say Alford inherited a great team are revising history. Most of that Sweet 16 team from the year before was gone. I would say that Alford's first team and Lickliter's first team were fairly similiar from a talent perspective.

Lick is a good guy. Give him as much time as you gave Alford. Actually, give him more.

Not saying Lick isnt a good guy, but are you saying Lickliter deserves 8+ years despite being on the verge of having the worst winning percentage in the HISTORY of Iowa basketball, simply because he's a good guy?

Re: Not sure Jon..

the program, with our without a change at the top, is 3 years away from being in a position where it could finish in the top half of the conference. The question really is if this coach has a better chance of accomplishing that than a new guy would. I don't know the answer.

This, I am afraid, is the ugly truth.

This is true. People that say Alford inherited a great team are revising history. Most of that Sweet 16 team from the year before was gone. I would say that Alford's first team and Lickliter's first team were fairly similiar from a talent perspective.

True but I would say that first alford team had some individuals with unique talents (Jaacks especially)...also I think Alford knew what he had and didn't try to make them into something they weren't, its like he said, "Just go balls deep and do whatever it takes to get it done." The win vs. #1 Uconn was so cool...It seems like Lick is trying to ram his "System" down everyone's throats...

As much as I hate to say it and want a change now I may have to agree with Jon but I wouldn't wait until the end of next year. I would give Lick until the end of January next year... 1 month into confernce play and if we are on the absolute verge of another disastrous season I think we fire Lick Feb 1 and go after a Big Name Coach that will have immediate results. Iowa needs that due to it's geography, facilities, history, lack of in state talent, etc. etc. I don't think it is wise to jump ship in Mid season but it can't get much worse and unless you make a statement to the rest of the country that Iowa Basketball is serious about it's program then be prepared for years of below average results and bottom of the barrel finishes. Mr.Alford was right... we are a Football School.

cringing-gif-10.gif

As many problems as there are in the program right now, I don't know that I go along with a change at the top. I think that would be automatic disaster...whereas I have not yet given up on Todd as Iowas coach. I want to see this team next year, to see this team with a core group of veterans, no key defections, with an infusion of young talent. Next year pays for all, IMO...and that doesnt have to mean an NIT bid...just get back to at least .500 and be competitive...that is going in the right direction

If we can get to .500 next year, this program is in good shape. Why do I say this? Think about it, that will mean we will have improved a ton with the players we have: SR (Cole) JR (Gatens, Archie, Fuller, & Brommer) SO (Payne, May, Cougil) FR (Larsen, Brust, Marble, & McCabe).

That in turn means we return all the players but Cole, and I would expect us to make the NCAA's in year 5 then. I think even if you fire Lick after year 4 then, whoever comes into the program should be expect to win right away with those players, seeing that kind of improvement.

Listen I get the argument that is shouldn't have taken this long, and getting back to .500 shouldn't be the goal, etc. I agree with that myself, yet the facts are the fact, and the fact is the team is not good this year. If they bounce back to .500 after the year they will have this year, that IS improvement, and is a sign we may have turned the corner finally.

Well said. Assuming no transfers out after the season, there is hope for Iowa in the future.

Exactly. People that are so ready to fire Lick do not understand the state of the program. This program has so many problems, and we haven't hit the bottom of the hole yet. This season (with probably zero Big Ten wins) is probably, and hopefully, the bottom.

But, to mix metaphors, there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's a looooonnnnnngggggg tunnel, and you had better get used to it.

Are you expecting another coach to come in and magically turn everything around? You are dreaming. Even if we got a magician for a coach, he would probably bring with him lots of NCAA violations, players in trouble with the law, etc.

You know what? I'm sick and tired of people who may not like a coach being labled as "haters". This just needs to stop. Believe it or not, wanting a coaching change in our BB program because Lick is not getting the job done does not mean that person "hates" him.

And for the record, I support Coach Lick and believe he needs another year or two.
https://hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/question-for-the-lick-haters-who-do-you-get.3253/

Please give Lick some time. Remember what happened the last time when all the fair weather fans ran off our coach? We had a classy, stand-up guy who was the winningest coach in the history of the Big Ten Tournament and the program has gone downhill since then. But Lick is also a stand-up guy and just needs time to get the athletes in his system to make it successful. If at the mid point of the 2011-2012 season, things still look bleak, let the guy go, but given the current condition of the team (which is the result of fair weather fans running Alford and the defections/recruiting hit caused by the changing of the guard) there is no one we could get now who would have the Hawks in a materially better spot in the next few years. Help is on the way with the recruits coming in, just give Lick some more time.
https://hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/if-you-dont-follow-coach-cornette-on-twitter.4573/

embarrassed-facial-expression-2_medium.jpg

Spoken as a true expert..

tumblr_mfkwx1o0MP1rj6akzo1_500.gif