Does Lick need to win A Big 10 game to keep his job

Can you even fathom what the thoughts would be if Alford went 0-18. There would be a friggin murder. Yet, Lick keeps his job. Go figure!

Can you even fathom what the thoughts would be if Alford went 0-18. There would be a friggin murder. Yet, Lick keeps his job. Go figure!

No kidding. I sense a bit of a double-standard here. Even if Alford had gone 6-12 and 5-13 like Lickliter has done in his first two years, people would have already gotten out the torches and pitchforks.

Yet we are asking if 1-17 saves Lickliter's job? What's wrong with this picture?

One could think of a double standard, however, there are more factors at play than the win/loss record against the conference at work.

Alford was not hired by Barta, Lick was. The school also has a new president. The economic landscape has changed - dramatically, since Lick was hired. No matter what buyout clause is in the contract, unless it's $0 for dismissal, will be a political nightmare in the current economic conditions we find the state and the nation.

The buyout and political ramifications of it, are what would be keeping Lick in the coaching seat for another year or two.

Good grief, can we leave out the Alford references...and the murder blast for that matter? Steve had EIGHT YEARS here and won one NCAA Tournament game. He didn't get the job done, and he's gone. End of story.

Not to mention, the program Lick inherited was much worse than the program that Steve inherited. Remember that Mr. Davis's last team made the Sweet 16 and Steve was here the following season.

Back to the original premise of the thread...if Lick goes 0 for the Big 10 this season (that's 19 games, counting the BTT), even if he's Barta's hire, I don't see how he can come back.

As many problems as there are in the program right now, I don't know that I go along with a change at the top. I think that would be automatic disaster...whereas I have not yet given up on Todd as Iowas coach. I want to see this team next year, to see this team with a core group of veterans, no key defections, with an infusion of young talent. Next year pays for all, IMO...and that doesnt have to mean an NIT bid...just get back to at least .500 and be competitive...that is going in the right direction

As many problems as there are in the program right now, I don't know that I go along with a change at the top. I think that would be automatic disaster...whereas I have not yet given up on Todd as Iowas coach. I want to see this team next year, to see this team with a core group of veterans, no key defections, with an infusion of young talent. Next year pays for all, IMO...and that doesnt have to mean an NIT bid...just get back to at least .500 and be competitive...that is going in the right direction

I haven't completely given up on Todd as the coach either.. however you are saying that he should be able to keep his job if he gets back to .500.... if he gets to .500 next year Iowa is in the same position they were when he took over. How would you keep a guy who has made 0 progress over four years? I realize there have been some key defections, but they only key defection I do not put on Lick is Kelly. I hope that Lick gets it turned around and I believe that he has the guys coming in to do it... but I think he has to finish above .500 in conference play alone in order buy him another year. I hope that would be the case. Can not be losing to UTSA, Duquesne, among others....

If we can get to .500 next year, this program is in good shape. Why do I say this? Think about it, that will mean we will have improved a ton with the players we have: SR (Cole) JR (Gatens, Archie, Fuller, & Brommer) SO (Payne, May, Cougil) FR (Larsen, Brust, Marble, & McCabe).

That in turn means we return all the players but Cole, and I would expect us to make the NCAA's in year 5 then. I think even if you fire Lick after year 4 then, whoever comes into the program should be expect to win right away with those players, seeing that kind of improvement.

Listen I get the argument that is shouldn't have taken this long, and getting back to .500 shouldn't be the goal, etc. I agree with that myself, yet the facts are the fact, and the fact is the team is not good this year. If they bounce back to .500 after the year they will have this year, that IS improvement, and is a sign we may have turned the corner finally.

If we can get to .500 next year, this program is in good shape. Why do I say this? Think about it, that will mean we will have improved a ton with the players we have: SR (Cole) JR (Gatens, Archie, Fuller, & Brommer) SO (Payne, May, Cougil) FR (Larsen, Brust, Marble, & McCabe).

That in turn means we return all the players but Cole, and I would expect us to make the NCAA's in year 5 then. I think even if you fire Lick after year 4 then, whoever comes into the program should be expect to win right away with those players, seeing that kind of improvement.

Listen I get the argument that is shouldn't have taken this long, and getting back to .500 shouldn't be the goal, etc. I agree with that myself, yet the facts are the fact, and the fact is the team is not good this year. If they bounce back to .500 after the year they will have this year, that IS improvement, and is a sign we may have turned the corner finally.

Well said. Assuming no transfers out after the season, there is hope for Iowa in the future.

"Automatic disaster"? Kind of dramatic there, care to explain the thought in that?

I believe it depends on several factors:
1. What kind of preseason Barta and Lickliter cook up. If they water down the preseason like I think they plan to do so that it isn't as "tough" as it was this year and get many more cupcakes like Tennessee St on the schedule then Iowa will "win" more preseason games.
2. I believe they need to win half of their Big 10 games next year to consider making a legitimate improvement wouldn't you?

If just going .500 is enough then they can do that by watering down their preseason schedule to get 8 or 9 wins. And I would not put that by Barta and Lickliter at all after listening to Lickliter whine about the schedule this year.

Win 4 or 5 games in the Big 10 and Iowa has 13 or 14 wins and Barta claims that Lickliter is making substantial progress overall and Lickliter has another season hands down because HE sees REAL improvement.

HE will blame the fans then for not backing the team and the program for not showing up at games even though the preseason was not worth spending the money on and they really didn't do much in the Big 10 and still finished in or near last place.

There is no hope for this guy. No matter what he does, he will always have players transfering. he is not a BCS type coach, he is much more suited at a smaller school.

I see we have maybe 3 chances to win a game in the Big Ten. This weekend vs PSU, Indiana at home and Indiana on the road. Those are our three chances at winning a game. If we don't win any of those, lick has to hit the road and we need to bring a WHOLE new coaching staff. Someone who can recruit better talent.

I agree with New Mexico about the schedule.. Padding the OOC with a bunch of cupcakes doesn't impress me. Sure, the OOC counts, but what does it mean if our victories come against a bunch of teams with RPI of 200 or worse? What I really will be looking at is the Big Ten. If the team can approach .500 (8-10 or so) then I would be content that we have shown enough improvement to give Lickliter a year 5.

Regarding Jon's "autmatic disaster" comment.. I'd like to know what's the reasoning there. What would change in the next 1 or 2 years where firing Lickliter would NOT result in automatic disaster, where it WOULD end badly if we fired him this year? I know the new practice facility will be done next year, which could help entice a new coach. What else?

You can make book....

I believe it depends on several factors:
1. What kind of preseason Barta and Lickliter cook up. If they water down the preseason like I think they plan to do so that it isn't as "tough" as it was this year and get many more cupcakes like Tennessee St on the schedule then Iowa will "win" more preseason games.
2. I believe they need to win half of their Big 10 games next year to consider making a legitimate improvement wouldn't you?

If just going .500 is enough then they can do that by watering down their preseason schedule to get 8 or 9 wins. And I would not put that by Barta and Lickliter at all after listening to Lickliter whine about the schedule this year.

Win 4 or 5 games in the Big 10 and Iowa has 13 or 14 wins and Barta claims that Lickliter is making substantial progress overall and Lickliter has another season hands down because HE sees REAL improvement.

HE will blame the fans then for not backing the team and the program for not showing up at games even though the preseason was not worth spending the money on and they really didn't do much in the Big 10 and still finished in or near last place.

that Iowa's non-conference schedule will feature as many creampuffs in Iowa City as can be scheduled. Iowa gets UNI and Iowa State at home, Drake on the road. ISU and UNI will both have more talent than Iowa, but Iowa would conceivably have a shot in Iowa City in those games. Drake is not good and the game in Des Moines might be winnable. The only other possible road game is if Iowa has to go on the road for the Big 10-ACC Challenge. One could see a scenario where Iowa wins 8 or more non-conference games, wins 5 or 6 Big 10 games and is right at .500 or above.

Not sure Jon..

the program, with our without a change at the top, is 3 years away from being in a position where it could finish in the top half of the conference. The question really is if this coach has a better chance of accomplishing that than a new guy would. I don't know the answer.

I don't expect another win this season. But I tend to agree with Jon that Lick will get another year. However, if we see another offseason of player defections, next year could be just as ugly. God, it's only January and I'm already talking about next season.