Does Kirk see this 2015 recruiting class graduate?

TheIowaHawkGuy

Had this discussion with some co-workers this morning. Does Kirk last to see this current recruiting class develop and graduate? Wonder if the uncertainty of his future had some effect on recruiting trail as well?

Yes, don't worry about it. His contact is good through January of 2020. So this class will graduate and play their Iowa career with certainly as far as the head coach goes. The exception might be is a player is granted a 6th year because of injuries.

He certainly intends to. He’ll probably need to win 8 games this year and show some improvement in recruiting for 2016 with the new facilities. I think the key for him is the 2017 class that is completely loaded with legacy/in-state recruits. If there’s going to be a coaching change it needs to happen well before the 2017 signing period or we could miss out on Epenesa, Pryor, Harris, etc. We currently have twice as many offers out to juniors as we did at this time last year, and if Seth Wallace can churn out a couple good classes, it wouldn’t shock me if KF gets to 2020.

In a weird way, I’m interested to see what BAWK has in store for us.

Last edited:
Unless things get turned around, I don't think so. The 2015 recruiting class would be here through what, 2019?

Just because KF's contract runs through 2020 doesn't mean he can't get fired before then. Guess it's all up to Gary Barta, or whoever the AD is.

Saying Kirk will be here through 2020 and then he's done when his contract expires, would mean that he'll have official lame duck status, a'la Tom Davis. That would work wonders for recruiting, if you think it's bad now. The next coach would have to totally start from scratch, and that won't make it any easier attracting a good coach when the time comes. Is our Athletic Department really stupid enough to allow that to play out? Lord, I hope not.

I really think this needs to be his last year, regardless of record. Think about it, if 2015 somehow turns out to be a great year, and I'm saying at least 9 wins and a bowl championship haha....then KF can go out on a high note. If we struggle to another 7 wins with this weak of a schedule, plus another loss to a team like ISU....then he needs to step away and allow someone else to come in. They would have a experienced Senior QB, some RBs, an OL...and defense that has experience as well.

If KF stays after 2015, we start getting into lame duck status. You can bet other schools will use this in recruiting. And does Barta really extend Kirk's contract further out?

I think most of us know the KF era is over. We've had 16 years of data to analyze and show us what to expect, and we're a 7 win team on average. The recruiting numbers don't lie either. We finish around where we recruit, which is middle of the pack, and average among all schools.

So long answer, no KF does not see this class graduate with him as the head coach. He is gone after this year, and if he is not, then Iowa football will reach Lick' type apathy and be half a decade to recover.

If he does...it will be with a lot of empty seats in Kinnick. How this guy still has a job is beyond explanation. The most tenured coach in the conference...has the 13th ranked recruiting class out of 14th. This is the definition of going through the motions.

No way does Kirk see this class graduate. He will be gone after next season. No way this program and university continues on after next season with the continued decline of Iowa football ... Kirk and Co. are slowly burying Iowa football ... His time has come and gone ...

Latest posts