Does Jon or anyone close to the program have any CJB practice details?

Win5002

Its been pretty widely discussed the QB job was won in practice. I think most would agree it should be, but I think a lot of people would agree it gives you first shot at the starting spot not an entitlement regardless of the results.

Does anyone have an idea what CJB didn't do in practice? Was it a lack of effort? A lack of game film study? Takes too many risks?

I have a hard time believing based on what we have seen on the field Rudock show more ability on the practice field at least this season, maybe last year when CJB was a redshirt freshmen but not this year.

Its been pretty widely discussed the QB job was won in practice. I think most would agree it should be, but I think a lot of people would agree it gives you first shot at the starting spot not an entitlement regardless of the results.

Does anyone have an idea what CJB didn't do in practice? Was it a lack of effort? A lack of game film study? Takes too many risks?

I have a hard time believing based on what we have seen on the field Rudock show more ability on the practice field at least this season, maybe last year when CJB was a redshirt freshmen but not this year.

Study... Which impacts how things play out on the practice field.

Study... Which impacts how things play out on the practice field.

I have wondered about this, and I assumed it was not an ability thing in practice but rather a game prep or effort issue. In some ways I think Ferentz might be in between a rock and a hard spot on this issue. Your QB is your leader and you want him to set the tone for the team in terms of effort and preparation, and even though CJB could outperform Rudock I wondered if he felt the rest of the team would not have the proper effort or planning effecting the overall product of the team worse. This was the only thing I could slightly grant him a slight pass on as a coach because I don't think it is that close ability wise.

I do tend to think you earn the job in practice but keep the job based on your performance in the games though.

I will be curious to hear if any other "insiders" or people close to the program will have the same answer about the practice issue.

I have no insider info but if it were any other coach I would assume Beathard wasn't getting it done in practice. Since it's not any other coach. I assume it's just Kirk being Kirk. Last year the compitition was so close he went with the kid who works a little harder and had more of a "hope your daughter brings him home" personality. Once he went with that decision, it was no longer relevant what CJ did.

I have no insider info but if it were any other coach I would assume Beathard wasn't getting it done in practice. Since it's not any other coach. I assume it's just Kirk being Kirk. Last year the compitition was so close he went with the kid who works a little harder and had more of a "hope your daughter brings him home" personality. Once he went with that decision, it was no longer relevant what CJ did.

When we see CJ throwing down the sidelines and dropping a pass in the bucket against BSU for what should have been a TD, then, allegedly, get yelled at, we see why he doesn't "practice well." CJ is the livening embodiment of not being conservative. kfootball is and JR plays within that mindset. I would say CJ doesn't "practice" the game plan well, because he throws deep instead of checking down for a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8. So, is he not prepared for games? Likely, he's more prepared than kfootball is comfortable with him being.

When we see CJ throwing down the sidelines and dropping a pass in the bucket against BSU for what should have been a TD, then, allegedly, get yelled at, we see why he doesn't "practice well." CJ is the livening embodiment of not being conservative. kfootball is and JR plays within that mindset. I would say CJ doesn't "practice" the game plan well, because he throws deep instead of checking down for a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8. So, is he not prepared for games? Likely, he's more prepared than kfootball is comfortable with him being.

I don't believe for a second KF likes the efficiency of Rudock and all of his check down's and the 3 yard pass on a 3rd & 8. He has done too much as a coach for that to be his preference. I do believe he tells them a punt is better than a turnover, and I do believe he has a bad fit for an offensive coordinator based on what he wants to do and Iowa's talent base. Although, Greg Davis had driven Texas fans nuts there also and many of them warned Iowa what we were getting before he came here.

I don't think its a conservative issue. I don't see CJB playing wildly out there nor do I think KF minds the shots down the field. That was the point of the whole thread and why I was hoping to gain some insight about what practice deficiencies we were talking about.

I don't believe for a second KF likes the efficiency of Rudock and all of his check down's and the 3 yard pass on a 3rd & 8. He has done too much as a coach for that to be his preference. I do believe he tells them a punt is better than a turnover, and I do believe he has a bad fit for an offensive coordinator based on what he wants to do and Iowa's talent base. Although, Greg Davis had driven Texas fans nuts there also and many of them warned Iowa what we were getting before he came here.

I don't think its a conservative issue. I don't see CJB playing wildly out there nor do I think KF minds the shots down the field. That was the point of the whole thread and why I was hoping to gain some insight about what practice deficiencies we were talking about.

Win, you/we aren't going to get any insight into Ft. Kinnick. kfootball just doesn't allow information to leak out. So, we are left to draw our own conclusions from what we see and experience. kfootball stated CJ wasn't getting minutes due to bad practice. Visually, on the field in games CJ has played in, he has shown more talent than JR and a penchant at throwing deeper down field. JR has thrown the vast majority of his passes, short and underneath, almost exclusively, at times. So, we see a more talented qb that throws the ball (extremely well) down field riding the bench in favor of the less talented qb that throws (mostly) underneath and dump off passes, and this playing time is based off of practice, per kfootball. The conclusion I drew is as logical as any other.

I think the practice stuff is way overblown and complete BS.. From what I'm reading CJ only practices with the 2nd team and that is what CJ means when talking about the position never has been an open battle.

Remember Brad Banks days when he came off the bench, people saying Brad Banks doesn't play more because of his limited knowledge of the playbook.. blah, blah, blah! Give me a break... Banks didn't need an entire playbook to be effective and win games.. Just people falling into the KF spell of ********.

The more I hear the more I want KF gone. He might be on the verge of completely running the program into the ground..

Last edited:
I think the practice stuff is way overblown and complete BS.. From what I'm reading CJ only practices with the 2nd team and that is what CJ means when talking about the position never has been an open battle.

Remember Brad Banks days when he came off the bench, people saying Brad Banks doesn't play more because of his limited knowledge of the playbook.. blah, blah, blah! Give me a break... Banks didn't need an entire playbook to be effective and win games.. Just people falling into the KF spell of ********.

The more I hear the more I want KF gone. He might be on the verge of completely running the program into the ground..

I think you are making a bad comparison with Banks and I will tell you why.
1. Banks was a JUCO they do have a hard time transitioning a lot of times.
2. I remember Banks cost Iowa the Michigan game that year by not even knowing where the first down yard marker was on a play and going out of bounds that cost Iowa a key first down late in the game. Banks play his jr. season was not that great.
3. While Banks had a great season his sr. year, it was largely off a once in a 50yr or 100 yr type of offensive line. I am not completely discrediting Bank's effort but with a average line he might have only looked like a middle of the road conference QB his sr. season. The idea that Banks should have been the runner up in the Heisman is silly. Look at the way Seneca Wallace outplayed him earlier in the season with a bad offensive line.

Your QB is your leader and you want him to set the tone for the team in terms of effort and preparation, and even though CJB could outperform Rudock I wondered if he felt the rest of the team would not have the proper effort or planning effecting the overall product of the team worse.

How much prep is needed to run a stretch play to a slow FB and throw a 2yd out. I must be missing something.

I think you are making a bad comparison with Banks and I will tell you why.
1. Banks was a JUCO they do have a hard time transitioning a lot of times.
2. I remember Banks cost Iowa the Michigan game that year by not even knowing where the first down yard marker was on a play and going out of bounds that cost Iowa a key first down late in the game. Banks play his jr. season was not that great.
3. While Banks had a great season his sr. year, it was largely off a once in a 50yr or 100 yr type of offensive line. I am not completely discrediting Bank's effort but with a average line he might have only looked like a middle of the road conference QB his sr. season. The idea that Banks should have been the runner up in the Heisman is silly. Look at the way Seneca Wallace outplayed him earlier in the season with a bad offensive line.

Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it and for that I now reward you 1 thumbs down..

[video=youtube;5hfYJsQAhl0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0[/video]

To say a more talented QB isn't playing because of practice is a complete joke and excuse. We all will never know the real reason CJB isn't playing. Whether it's KF being too stubborn or whatever. I'm sick of KF and his "ways."
It won't end until he's gone. So please be gone.

Earn playing time by what ya do in the game. At least every other team does it that way.
RG3 got benched cuz he doesn't practice well??? Give me a f&&king
break.
Sick of the way crap is ran at the school I, and a lot of us love!

If Ferentz made DJK wear a garbage bag and a sign saying something like "I don't work hard", then I can only imagine CJB holding a Greyhound Bus Ticket and a shirt that reads "I'm SO outta here" at the bowl practice.

One unconfirmed reason for not playing CJ was because CJ didn't know the playbook enough. That was debunked. KF confirms Jake gets the start because he practices better.. I can't confirm that one way or other but I can confirm CJ performs better during a game because more points are scored and more yards are gained. What's more important?

The reasons for not playing CJ are less. The reasons for not playing CJ seem be more and more obsessive-compulsive.

Win, you/we aren't going to get any insight into Ft. Kinnick. kfootball just doesn't allow information to leak out. So, we are left to draw our own conclusions from what we see and experience. kfootball stated CJ wasn't getting minutes due to bad practice. Visually, on the field in games CJ has played in, he has shown more talent than JR and a penchant at throwing deeper down field. JR has thrown the vast majority of his passes, short and underneath, almost exclusively, at times. So, we see a more talented qb that throws the ball (extremely well) down field riding the bench in favor of the less talented qb that throws (mostly) underneath and dump off passes, and this playing time is based off of practice, per kfootball. The conclusion I drew is as logical as any other.

Latest posts