Does Garza Have Enough Face To Get Him Thru The Season!

MelroseHawkins

That guy takes a chop to the face every game. He brings a toughness to this team that they really haven't had the past seasons. Iowa's past several teams I think could be viewed as kind of soft. They really didn't like contact or people up in their mugs. As far as performance goes, past teams had a tendency to not finish games and giving up some sizeable leads on occasion to lose.

This Iowa team has shown to match intensity late in the game, sustain a lead and respond to opponents runs. I wonder if Garza's toughness is kind of permeating throughout his teammates. We all know Toussaint brings a little edge and toughness to his game. JoBo is obviously tough dealing with his situation. Talk about a guy that Iowa can ill afford to lose for a substantial amount of time, it would be Garza. He at times has put the team on his back and willing to lead. Here's a guy that foregoes nova cane so that he can get out on the floor quicker. He goes right back in and doesn't shy from contact only to take another hit. We saw Connor take a nice slash to his forehead a few games ago.

I'm liking the toughness of this team. That's all.

b17af127-4c03-4211-a9b9-fb1804b7a2ac-ISUIOWA27.jpg

They have a no quit edge about them for sure. Regardless of it's Cook having moved on or Garza stepping up more whatever combination of things you want to consider it is a different feel then last yr. It'd be nice if Garza could go a game or two without getting his face bashed in but it doesn't seem to be slowing him down. Dude is a stud

Roy Marble used to take a beating on his drives to the basket. He had his nose broken more than once. He got his cornea scratched at Purdue in the 18-0 run in 1987, had a patch over his eye and missed the second half.

The following season he had a gash opened up in the Maui Classic that required stitches. Later that season in Madison it opened up again, courtesy of Ed Horton's cranium in a collision while lining up for a free throw.

Roy Marble used to take a beating on his drives to the basket. He had his nose broken more than once. He got his cornea scratched at Purdue in the 18-0 run in 1987, had a patch over his eye and missed the second half.

The following season he had a gash opened up in the Maui Classic that required stitches. Later that season in Madison it opened up again, courtesy of Ed Horton's cranium in a collision while lining up for a free throw.
My memory can be pretty sketchy but as I remember it the Maui Classic was his coming out party his freshman season. I recall being bummed not being able to see the games on tv and then hearing him unexpectedly being the one kicking ass over there. Then again maybe my wires are crossed once again??

That guy takes a chop to the face every game. He brings a toughness to this team that they really haven't had the past seasons. Iowa's past several teams I think could be viewed as kind of soft. They really didn't like contact or people up in their mugs. As far as performance goes, past teams had a tendency to not finish games and giving up some sizeable leads on occasion to lose.

This Iowa team has shown to match intensity late in the game, sustain a lead and respond to opponents runs. I wonder if Garza's toughness is kind of permeating throughout his teammates. We all know Toussaint brings a little edge and toughness to his game. JoBo is obviously tough dealing with his situation. Talk about a guy that Iowa can ill afford to lose for a substantial amount of time, it would be Garza. He at times has put the team on his back and willing to lead. Here's a guy that foregoes nova cane so that he can get out on the floor quicker. He goes right back in and doesn't shy from contact only to take another hit. We saw Connor take a nice slash to his forehead a few games ago.

His eyebrows are strangely untouched thus far.

I get the point. And Garza is playing like a potential Big 10 POY candidate. But with only 8 scholarship players available I'd argue that losing any starter would be very costly.

My memory can be pretty sketchy but as I remember it the Maui Classic was his coming out party his freshman season. I recall being bummed not being able to see the games on tv and then hearing him unexpectedly being the one kicking ass over there. Then again maybe my wires are crossed once again??
That would have been another Hawaii tournament in his freshman year 1985. And yes he announced his arrival with a bang. I think he scored over twenty in two of the games and never looked back.

1987 was the Maui Invitational which the Hawks won. In the semi finals we beat eventual national champ Is by double digits. In the championship we blew open a close halftime game against eventual regional finalist Villanova. I think Jeff Moe went wild from behind the arc that game.

I guess I always thought wearing one projected the idea that I was ready to scrap, not that I was afraid I would get hurt.

He's the Jerry Quarry of college basketball right now. Always bloody. Most MMA fighters draw less blood than Garza has this year.

Quarry.jpg

Latest posts