Does Creighton become recruiting threat?

WhitUp

If the big east does dissolve and the speculation is the 7 teams will start their own league and add 3 to 5 teams. Names being floating on some reports is Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Butler, St.Louis. Combined with Georgetown, Depaul, Marquette, Villanova, Providence, St.Johns, and Seton hall that will be a high major conference.

If Creighton has descent success in the league and doesn't become a bottom feeder, I'm a little concerned that this maybe a recruiting threat to us especially in Western Iowa. We get a lot of players out of Sioux City area, do these type of players possible start to look at Creighton as a big time program now? Just curious what everyone thinks about that.

Being a successful Big Ten program will always have more lure than being a decent program in the Big East sloppy seconds league.

Yes it's not the old big east, but I could see somebody make the argument that it's a better basketball conference then the pac 12. Which makes it the 4th or 5th best basketball conference

I am skeptical that CU would be invited. Do not fit the profile...too far west.
I think they are focusing on Dayton,Xavier and possibly ND,who might bail on the ACC deal.
SLU makes more sense than CU.
CU's traditional recruiting base is not east, more Texas and KC.

I think they are focusing on Dayton,Xavier and possibly ND,who might bail on the ACC deal.

yeah I don't think it's a given they'll get an invite, Xavier really the only no brainer for sure. Notre Dame's going to stick with the ACC, but I'm sure this would be another fall back plan for them. It's little far , but Marquette, St.Louis, Depaul, may want at least one more team on the west end of the league. I'd probably want Creighton over St.Louis, and over Dayton for sure.

If the big east does dissolve and the speculation is the 7 teams will start their own league and add 3 to 5 teams. Names being floating on some reports is Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Butler, St.Louis. Combined with Georgetown, Depaul, Marquette, Villanova, Providence, St.Johns, and Seton hall that will be a high major conference.

If Creighton has descent success in the league and doesn't become a bottom feeder, I'm a little concerned that this maybe a recruiting threat to us especially in Western Iowa. We get a lot of players out of Sioux City area, do these type of players possible start to look at Creighton as a big time program now? Just curious what everyone thinks about that.

Wow! This is like a CYO League for college teams!:eek: Add Notre Dame and Boston College and that would include just about all of them!

I'm surprised I haven't heard St. Joe's name thrown in the mix at all, they're catholic and more in the big east footprint, and a pretty descent basketball program.

The "change of conference membership changes the whole recruiting landscape" thing is soooo overrated.

This is 2012, not 1982. Kids see lots of teams on TV, they live on the Web, they're aware of a bigger world...not just the state college who's T-shirts everybody in town wears. And coaches are the same. They can find a kid anywhere if they want to. (Have any doubt? Look at where the D1 kids from the state of Iowa go every year. All over the place...and we're backwoods "flyover country")

Over time...sure...repeated exposure on TV would make a kid more aware of a school he only sees once or twice a year on ESPN now. But some treat this like a ship landing on the shore showing natives fire for the first time.

A difference, sure, some. A big game changer...No.

The "change of conference membership changes the whole recruiting landscape" thing is soooo overrated.

This is 2012, not 1982. Kids see lots of teams on TV, they live on the Web, they're aware of a bigger world...not just the state college who's T-shirts everybody in town wears. And coaches are the same. They can find a kid anywhere if they want to. (Have any doubt? Look at where the D1 kids from the state of Iowa go every year. All over the place...and we're backwoods "flyover country")

Over time...sure...repeated exposure on TV would make a kid more aware of a school he only sees once or twice a year on ESPN now. But some treat this like a ship landing on the shore showing natives fire for the first time.

A difference, sure, some. A big game changer...No.

It's not just about tv exposure it's about who you play, telling a kid you'll play Gtown every year and play Drake every year is a whole different ball game. I'm not saying we should be scared or anything, but you guys acting like it's not going to matter at all.

Last edited:

Creighton would be in for sure. They play in a 16000 seat NBA-caliber arena and they routinely sell it out. And they'd certainly enhance their pedigree come tourney time bolting the MVC to pal around with the likes of G Town and St. Johns. The MVC would instantly drop down another notch if it lost Creighton.

Wow! This is like a CYO League for college teams!:eek: Add Notre Dame and Boston College and that would include just about all of them!

I know. It's giving flashbacks of Catholic elementary and junior high school and the all-Catholic tournaments we used to have.

yup having a AA on the team and Playing in the NCAA tourny makethem such a slouch BB team.
this is not FB where you need 22 starters nand 44 to make up the 2 deeps
this BB and you need just 5 starters and 8 more to fill 13 scholarships.
to me the biggest one to be hurt is Nebraska, there is a top 100 Akoi Agua 6'9 F/C right there in Omaha, that commited to Louisville. maybe bhe stays home being in a BB only conference,
and its not like the BE is loaded with BB cupcakes,
the bstate of Iowa is producing top notch players, but with the Warden and Fran making the strides they are it will be tough for any out of state school to get a Iowa kid.
as a si9de note finding 2-3 kids each year is not that hard. compared to finding 23- 25 FB players every year

Last edited:
It's not just about tv exposure it's about who you play, telling a kid you'll play Gtown every year and play Drake every year is a whole different ball game. I'm not saying we should be scared or anything, but you guys acting like it's not going to matter at all.

Playing higher profile teams is a good thing, sure. But you're still going to Creighton, still living in Omaha. It may help the perception of Creighton (or any school that's scheduling "up" by joining a better conference) but it's not some huge overnight game-changer.

With out a doubt, most CU insiders (i don't really consider Matt Perrault to be any sort of insider, but he's reporting on it) think that this is going to hurt ISU, UI, KS, NE, and KST recruiting. I think there is an over inflated idea of the CU brand name due to the position their basketball team is currently in. A step up in competition will be very bad for the Jays IMO.

With out a doubt, most CU insiders (i don't really consider Matt Perrault to be any sort of insider, but he's reporting on it) think that this is going to hurt ISU, UI, KS, NE, and KST recruiting. I think there is an over inflated idea of the CU brand name due to the position their basketball team is currently in. A step up in competition will be very bad for the Jays IMO.
you are missing the point, this will be a BB only conference, the # of players needed to be successfull is not like it is in FB, in BB you can have 1 star players and 12 solid role players and be competitive. which Creighton has, AA in McDermont and some solid role players, location of the school means nothing to these kids, as long as a team is a winner is the only thing that matters to todays kids.

you are missing the point, this will be a BB only conference, the # of players needed to be successfull is not like it is in FB, in BB you can have 1 star players and 12 solid role players and be competitive. which Creighton has, AA in McDermont and some solid role players, location of the school means nothing to these kids, as long as a team is a winner is the only thing that matters to todays kids.

Creighton won't be a winnner nearly as often if they join a conference with Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova and Xavier. Playing those teams ain't the same as Evansville and Indiana St.

I'm not missing any point at all. You don't need to explain the difference in football and basketball recruiting, that's just a common sense statement. Ill ask this, is Dougie Fresh gonna be in Omaha forever? You realize he's a once in a generation type player for a school like CU right? With Fran and Fred closing up the border and CU jumping up competition wise and not being in a conference that provides football revenue, they will have trouble keeping up with the Joneses as far as competing with near by schools for talent. Not to mention there just isn't a lot of it in the state of Nebraska period. If winning is all that matters to kids, what happens when CU goes from being top dog of The Valley to 8th or 9th best in the pecking order of the new Jesus conference?

CU insiders. So that would be what we call "wishful thinking".

It is amusing how overinflated this gets. It's going to have a significant impact on 5 neighboring BCS-level schools? Just how many scholarships does Creighton get to offer?

It might open up more recruiting avenues for CU, but it isn't going to hurt any one program let alone 5 programs especially KU. That proposed leauge is like B1G Jr., same type of traveling, but competition won't be as good as the B1G and less exposure than the B1G. The one school it may impact would be Nebraska, but Nebraska isn't a BB school anyways. Definitely not going to impact KU, probably 9 out of 10 kids would choose KU over Creighton, maybe even 10 out of 10.

Latest posts