Does Brian F. get promoted to OC after the Rose Bowl???

Not to get all technical, but did want to set the record straight here.....KOK was the one that got CJ to Iowa after he decommitted from Ole Miss. Then, the day after signing day, KOK leaves for Miami. Greg inherited CJ.

You might be right. I just remember that was the talk here on the forum back when CJ was still sitting on the bench, that he was a GD recruit and that GD was wanting him to play more. It would not surprise me if none of that was true.

Would I be upset if GD retired after the Rose Bowl? Hell no, but I am not sure much would change regardless of who takes his place.

Ohnestly what really has changed? We went from having an average at best QB to having an really good QB. Oh and once in awhile going for a first down on a forth down but that's all relative to CJ being at QB. Include in that having an outstanding defense. Basically what we have been told is that there has also been an intensifying of concentration on certain aspects of the game by the coaching staff.

It will be interesting to see what happens when CJ is gone........... back to 6-6 again?

GD was freaking tremendous this year. I don't care what any loser Texas fan says, the dude knows how to use talent when he has it. 2 nat'l championship games and a rose bowl at Iowa in the last decade. Pretty damn good resume.

Beginning to wonder how much football you actually know, Dean. No way can you call Brian Ferentz a talented coach. Maybe a potentially talented coach is what you meant?

I'm not certain how folks can draw lines of logic that add up to BF actually being the reason we had a good offense this season and is ready to take over the OC position. The question folks need to ask themselves is are they willing to allow a person to have their first Coordinator or HC position at any B1G school? I think an Coordinator job is debatable, but not a HC job. BF may or may not be the next Vince Lombardi, but, at this level, you go with a proven track record. Let BF go to the MAC as a coordinator or HC and come back if he proves himself at those levels.

GD was freaking tremendous this year. I don't care what any loser Texas fan says, the dude knows how to use talent when he has it. 2 nat'l championship games and a rose bowl at Iowa in the last decade. Pretty damn good resume.
I have this ADHD-like desire, since I don't forget faces and face similarities, to look at a face and spout out similarities.

Your avatar of Phil Parker looks like Jeff Van Gundy the former NBA coach of the Knicks and currently an NBA announcer for television. All right, carry on. Sigh.

I'm not certain how folks can draw lines of logic that add up to BF actually being the reason we had a good offense this season and is ready to take over the OC position. The question folks need to ask themselves is are they willing to allow a person to have their first Coordinator or HC position at any B1G school? I think an Coordinator job is debatable, but not a HC job. BF may or may not be the next Vince Lombardi, but, at this level, you go with a proven track record. Let BF go to the MAC as a coordinator or HC and come back if he proves himself at those levels.
One has to realize these posters who want Brian to be OC, now, are openly haters of GD. For whatever reason, they want GD out. Who knows (I don't care) what the reasons are? Maybe GD's offenses pass too much and are too intricate? Maybe GD's offenses don't take enough time off the clock? Maybe GD's offenses don't run the big, bruising, slow back? Maybe because some Texas fans didn't like him. Maybe because his first season wasn't too productive - whose first season as OC is? Who knows or cares. The reasons don't matter. They just don't like GD.

They just don't know offense. Their idea of a well played game plan has Iowa's offense taking lots of time to score and Iowa's defense taking lots of time to stop which leaves few possessions for Iowa's offense in a game - yet they love to criticize the offense. That's a derp in my book.

Last edited:
There is no 1 magic one way.

Bob Stoops fired his OC last year and brought in the young hotshot Lincoln Riley to run his offense and his offense did pretty good in his first year as the OC. Okie ended up #4 in the rankings.

Kirk Ferentz did not fire anybody, unless you count Rudock's demotion, and ended up #5 in the rankings.

One has to realize these posters who want Brian to be OC, now, are openly haters of GD. For whatever reason, they want GD out. Who knows (I don't care) what the reasons are? Maybe GD's offenses pass too much and are too intricate? Maybe GD's offenses don't take enough time off the clock? Maybe GD's offenses don't run the big, bruising, slow back? Maybe because some Texas fans didn't like him. Maybe because his first season wasn't too productive - whose first season as OC is? Who knows or cares. The reasons don't matter. They just don't like GD.

They just don't know offense. Their idea of a well played game plan has Iowa's offense taking lots of time to score and Iowa's defense taking lots of time to stop which leaves few possessions for Iowa's offense in a game - yet they love to criticize the offense. That's a derp in my book.

Davis has been here 4 years now, and I'd say the fans have been satisfied with 1 out of those 4 years. I have consistently said that I don't like the marriage of the Power Run game with the Greg Davis Horizontal passing games. It isn't so much game by game play calling, but rather an over offensive philosophy.

I don't think Davis is a bad coach, but if you can't wrap your little mind Homer around the fact the the long term plan is to have Brian take over at OC, I don't know what I can say to convince you of this. My whole thing is if this is the long term play (which it is, like it or not), then I say sh1t or get off the pot, and put Brian in that position. If you think there is any plan at all for any other person to be OC under KF, then you are either a bigger troll or bigger idiot than I thought you were.

In the 2014 season, Iowa's offense averaged the fourth best yardage per game in the KF era at Iowa. Matter of fact, the 2014 team was less than an average of 1 yard away from being the 3rd best per game in the KF era at Iowa. Chew on that.

What was this season's rank, BTW?

Last edited:
There is no 1 magic one way.

Bob Stoops fired his OC last year and brought in the young hotshot Lincoln Riley to run his offense and his offense did pretty good in his first year as the OC. Okie ended up #4 in the rankings.

Kirk Ferentz did not fire anybody, unless you count Rudock's demotion, and ended up #5 in the rankings.
There is one other big similarity last season to this season, Iowa vs. Oklahoma: KF let GD run the offense like Stoops let Lincoln Riley run the offense. Wouldn't you say both 'new' OCs are better than previous?

Have to bring this one back open for discussion post Rose Bowl. Iowa clearly was lacking in Offensive Scheme in the last 2 games. Helpless in the Rose Bowl. Is now a good time to let an eager Brian F. loose with the Offense? Definitely in need of new life in that department.

Have to bring this one back open for discussion post Rose Bowl. Iowa clearly was lacking in Offensive Scheme in the last 2 games. Helpless in the Rose Bowl. Is now a good time to let an eager Brian F. loose with the Offense? Definitely in need of new life in that department.

I will try to add a reasonable post in that I think it depends on what type of offense Brian F would run. We already know that GD likes to run a short route horizontal passing offense and then run off the pass action. I wouldn't call it a west coast offense because GD doesnt target the 10-15 yard routes as much as shorter routes. GD is not even really on the same page as KF's style

But what would Brian F want to run, a Patriots style short passing game, a ground and pound. Not knowing it is hard to say.

I would rather Brian F get get his OC experience at another school and then come back to Iowa.

But 2016 would also be an offensive unit with experience that might be helpful for a new OC.

I will try to add a reasonable post in that I think it depends on what type of offense Brian F would run. We already know that GD likes to run a short route horizontal passing offense and then run off the pass action. I wouldn't call it a west coast offense because GD doesnt target the 10-15 yard routes as much as shorter routes. GD is not even really on the same page as KF's style

But what would Brian F want to run, a Patriots style short passing game, a ground and pound. Not knowing it is hard to say.

I would rather Brian F get get his OC experience at another school and then come back to Iowa.

But 2016 would also be an offensive unit with experience that might be helpful for a new OC.

Well, based on how well the line blocked, I'd say Brian is due for a major raise and promotion.

Well, based on how well the line blocked, I'd say Brian is due for a major raise and promotion.

Is this a sarcastic post based on the run game against MSU and Stanford or a positive post due to the run game during the 12-0 regular season?

If Kirk decides that Greg Davis must go then Brian is the only logical choice. With those returning players already having a connection to Brian it makes no sense to me at all to bring in an outsider. With all the coaching vacancies that may be filled with OC's looking to move up, it becomes even less likely. Let's face facts, Greg Davis does not have the tendencies for a more explosive Offensive attack that Iowa must employ. Our Offense worked well for the regular season schedule we had but once again we all witnessed what happened when playing a high caliber out of conference team.

Is this a sarcastic post based on the run game against MSU and Stanford or a positive post due to the run game during the 12-0 regular season?

Our run game got worse as the season closed out, except for a couple long runs against Nebraska. Also, Stanfords run defense was supposed to suck. What happened? We lose our 2 best linemen, so next years offensive line doesn't look very promising. Brian Ferentz needs to worry about the Oline, he's done nothing to warrant being promoted to offensive coordinator.

Our run game got worse as the season closed out, except for a couple long runs against Nebraska. Also, Stanfords run defense was supposed to suck. What happened? We lose our 2 best linemen, so next years offensive line doesn't look very promising. Brian Ferentz needs to worry about the Oline, he's done nothing to warrant being promoted to offensive coordinator.

LOL, thank God you aren't a coach.....

Every young coach has to get his first shot at OC. Scott Frost spent a year at LB coach and co-DC at UNI, then was a WR coach for 3 years at Oregon......Tom Herman spent 3 years as a WR/ST coach before he became a OC.

The simple fact is if Brian were willing to leave Iowa, there isn't a doubt in the world that he would be a OC at some other school this coming up year. If you don't appreciate taking a 3* kid last year and coaching him into a Outland Trophy winner, and then taking two freaking walk on tackles and coaching up the line like he did this year, then there is no help for you.

I have been saying it since Greg Davis got here, that he is a stop gap until Brian takes over. Our choices at OC are GD or BF, and if those are my choices, and it is inevitable that BF eventually becomes the OC, then I say get to getting and make him the OC TODAY.

Latest posts