Does anyone else miss....

I was also thinking of how many times in my life I had walked the same paths around that stadium, at all ages and stages of my life...its something that ties us all together.

Yes, I miss not having doors on the bathroom stalls. In college when I had a bad case of the beer sh$%s from a late Friday night at Brothers.... everyone could watch me releaving myself at halftime.

This is more of a compliant, but has anyone noticed that the HUGE tigerhawk on the new scoreboard is not centered properly? It tilts downward. Seriously, how to you mess that up?!

The tigerhawk does seem to tilt downward! Generally, new Kinnick is awesome, but the NW Endzone restrooms are still quite vintage! Here are a few memories:

-sitting in the knothole "cheap endzone seats" and watching the students storm the field with my dad, uncles, and cousins after Iowa upset UCLA
-cheap hotdogs and hot chocolate at Kinnick
-the absolute "crunch" of a Larry Station hit
-bodas for your "sodie pop"
-halftime "passes" are missed
-a time before field goal nets
-dropping stuff through the south bleachers (at one time, you could probably pick up an entire wardrobe after a game)
-"meet me at the tennis courts!"

the one thing i miss has nothing to do with the new kinnick,and that is being able to leave the stadium at half time.we would always leave a couple minutes before half time unless the game was realy close,walk to olive court and fire the grill up and still make it back before kick off.

The charm of the pre-renovation Kinnick Stadium? There were some really old school things about Kinnick that I miss sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love the renovations, but I miss the old Kinnick sometimes.

Not really. I was sitting in the south endzone for the ISU game in 2002 when part of the floor boards gave way. And strictly from a woman's point of view . . .the renovated restrooms are a thing of beauty!

New Kinnick > Old Kinnick

The only thing I think the newer stadium lacks is the seats going all the way to the endzone. Those were awesome. (Watched the hawkeyes beat tulsa in overtime, winning catch was right in front of me, first hawkeye game I ever went too.)

The stadium looks much cooler now, all brick outer and no wood. But I miss a lot of things, including being able to use the rest-rooms and not missing a quarter of the game. I also think kinnick lost some noise and thus home field advantage when they expanded the seats, doesn't seem as loud to me, or maybe I am old and going deaf.

The charm of the pre-renovation Kinnick Stadium? There were some really old school things about Kinnick that I miss sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love the renovations, but I miss the old Kinnick sometimes.

Your kidding right........New Kinninck is way better than the dump it used to be!

I think they need to replace/redo the other endzone seating now.

WHAT!?

NO WAY! keep the North EZ as is. If they re-do it, it will have to be less-vertical to comply with ADA, etc and that would push the upper rows much further back from the field.

Your kidding right........New Kinninck is way better than the dump it used to be!

I said I love the renovations, but sometimes miss the old Kinnick for reasons already listed like;

Location of old student section and band
Leaving at Half
Seemed like it used to be loader
Natural grass
Troughs

I also liked that the visiting team used to have to come out of that tiny tunnel, it used to make their entrance almost humiliating.

I love the new Kinnick and think they did an outstanding job on the renovations, but I would hardly call Kinnick a dump before the renovations. I just miss some of the quirks and charm that the old Kinnick had. That's all.

I remember it making me really mad when - it must have been in the mid 90s - they got so anal about taking the goalposts down within 5 seconds of the end of the game. Game ends, they'd take out those long poles and immediately lower the posts to the ground. So anticlimactic!

To be sure, this saves a great deal of money; but there is nothing quite like seeing a mob of fans take down the goalposts.

Of course, that made the destruction (*and theft!!*) of Minny's posts in Kinnick North that much sweeter!

Last edited:
I also feel Hawk fans were nicer to each other at Kinnick before the whole seating reassignment came along. We had sat by the same people for 8 years and got to know most of them very well. Most of the people that sat in our area had the same tickets for 20+ years.

Now with the reassignment, most people sit in different locations and by different people that they don't know as well. I rarely saw problems with Hawk fans being jerks to other Hawk fans in our old location, now it seems like I see this every other week. But maybe it did happen just as much and I don't remember.

I was walking around Kinnick on Tuesday, taking a few photos...just admiring how much the new south end zone looks like the old east and west sides from a bricks perspective...the place is just beautiful.

It may miss some of the old quirks and charm listed by some of the posters...but well put Jon....Kinnick is just beautiful.

I still think they should center the Tigerhawk on the scoreboard. It's crooked.

Latest posts