Dodd: Missouri ready to court Big Ten

beaverdaleguy

Show-Me? Mizzou feels it has done enough to earn Big Ten invite - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

A good article about Missouri's desire to be the Big Ten's 12th team by Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com. I especially like this part:

"Mizzou is good, but is it Big Ten good? Specifically, is Missouri in Michigan's neighborhood academically and athletically? Certainly not. But neither does it consider itself 'worthy' of sharing the same conference with the likes of Iowa State."

I just enjoy hearing how every team in the Big XII doesn't even want ISU...hope the MAC is more understanding, Clowns!

I like to poke fun at ISU but on a serious note I would hate like hell for them to get hurt.

They won't get "hurt". If the Big XII implodes, they will just get an invite to a smaller conference, like the MAC or Conf-USA. I think the MAC would be good as they wouldn't be dead last every year in major sports...and there are some really good teams in that little respected conference. GIve it a few years and I am sure if the MAC can re-allign with a few good additions they can make that conference a decent little contender. That is nothing to be ashamed of, and no team will be "hurt" by joining them.

I'm not convinced that being a bigger fish in a smaller pond is that much of an improvement.

it's not. but they obviously can't compete in the Big XII, with the exception of women's basketball and the 1 in 10 seasons in men's basketball...you know its bad when Baylor talks smack about you...

All we keep hearing about is how the Big10 is ready to invite Missouri, Nebraska, ND and Rutgers...that would only leave us with the "Big15"...and curiously quiet about the whole thing is...

Iowa State...no one's said much...

Not saying this is going to happen, but it won't surprise me if it DOES happen...but who's to say that Iowa State wouldn't be included, just so they're not excluded? I know it doesn't make sense to give them 22 mil when they bring very few eyes to the television market, but it would seal off the entire state...not to mention upgrade the Iowa/Iowa Sate rivalry as well as keep a familiar foe for Missouri and Nebraska...

And here's another angle...one from the business world...companies buy up other companies all the time, just to keep them from being bought by a competitor, whether they really want the company or not...would the Big10 "buy" Iowa State just to keep a future "Big12" network out of "their territory"?

All we keep hearing about is how the Big10 is ready to invite Missouri, Nebraska, ND and Rutgers...that would only leave us with the "Big15"...and curiously quiet about the whole thing is...

Iowa State...no one's said much...

Not saying this is going to happen, but it won't surprise me if it DOES happen...but who's to say that Iowa State wouldn't be included, just so they're not excluded? I know it doesn't make sense to give them 22 mil when they bring very few eyes to the television market, but it would seal off the entire state...not to mention upgrade the Iowa/Iowa Sate rivalry as well as keep a familiar foe for Missouri and Nebraska...

And here's another angle...one from the business world...companies buy up other companies all the time, just to keep them from being bought by a competitor, whether they really want the company or not...would the Big10 "buy" Iowa State just to keep a future "Big12" network out of "their territory"?

you are really reaching with this one.

Show-Me? Mizzou feels it has done enough to earn Big Ten invite - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

A good article about Missouri's desire to be the Big Ten's 12th team by Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com. I especially like this part:

"Mizzou is good, but is it Big Ten good? Specifically, is Missouri in Michigan's neighborhood academically and athletically? Certainly not. But neither does it consider itself 'worthy' of sharing the same conference with the likes of Iowa State."

I just enjoy hearing how every team in the Big XII doesn't even want ISU...hope the MAC is more understanding, Clowns!

Certainly no fan of Moo U. But get serious. Iowa State is an excellent academic institution, immensely suprerior to Mizzou. Iowa State is one of the 61 major research universities in the nation. Mizzou will require years of greater legislative support, expansion of programs and facilities, upgrading of its standards and quality of instruction & research to compare.

Indeed, outside of Texas & marginally perhaps TX A&M, Iowa State is a stronger academic institution than any of the other Big 12 schools.

Athletic comparisons are another matter. In several respects. First, the Clowns are NOT one of the better athletic programs in the Big 12, not by a long way (ironically, perhaps most competitive in some women's sports). Secondly, athletic comparisons of the Big Ten & Big 12 are a very mixed bag--extremes are the strength of the Big 12 in baseball, the Big Ten in wrestling. In the major/"revenue" sports, the balance changes year from year--recently the Big !2 has edged ahead of the BT in women's hoops, while at the same time the Big Ten is coming on stronger with more top competitors in men's basketball (close to restoring its long-time dominance, its historic status as chief rival to the ACC--Kansas is still the ONLY Big 12 team to win a national title, half have never made the Final Four; while five BT teams have national championships, three more have played for the national title, only NW has never been in the Final Four.

In football, where there is no national champion and never has been, the comparisons rest on superficial polls and reputations. But the Big 12 heritage is more years of Big Six & Big Eight & Southwest with their many mediocrities. Certainly there are more traditional powerhouses in the Big Ten, and the bottom half of the conference has almost always been stronger than in the Big 12--all those years when Kansas State was the worst major football program in the nation--unless Iowa State was....Baylor, TX Tech, Kansas, Mizzou, and not that often that Okie State or Colorado had their rare powerhouse teams.

Take ALL their teams into consideration, women included, and it is very difficult to show any sustained overall superiority of Mizzou athletics over than of Moo U.

You must not be in business, because this angle is ridiculous.

Wow. I didn't know until just now that Penn State had made the Final Four. You learn something new every day. Thanks Tiggerhawk

The best line of the article, other than the couple digs at Iowa State:

"When it comes to the Big Ten, Ol' Mizzou has been the waitress who unbuttons a couple of buttons on her blouse, leans over a table of guys and tells them, "I get off in five minutes."

Oh yeah, Missouri is available."

You must not be in business, because this angle is ridiculous.

Sure is...thanks for the insight...

Edit: I do realize that I've opened myself up for ridicule...I think my JFK reference in the basketball forum got me on a conspiracy theory kick!

Last edited: