Do we really understand what we have in Kirk?

iahawk20

I think about this once in a while. Do most Iowa fans realize what kind of person/coach we have running our program? With certainty he is the absolute perfect fit for the University, the state, and the fan base. We've seen the likes of home town heroes like Weis fail. We've seen the lack of loyalty in Saban, Carroll, Meyer, Spurrier, etc that ride of to "greener pastures". Yet after 11 seasons, annual NFL rumors and $ signs everywhere coach Ferentz has remained in the Hawkeye family, through the great and bad. I would not trade Coach or this staff for anyone. I truely believe we could no have a better person leading the Hawkeyes onto the field every Saturday! Here is to another 20 years of Kirk Ferentz leading the Hawks!

Ps sorry in advance for typos as I posted this on an iphne

I think about this once in a while. Do most Iowa fans realize what kind of person/coach we have running our program? With certainty he is the absolute perfect fit for the University, the state, and the fan base. We've seen the likes of home town heroes like Weis fail. We've seen the lack of loyalty in Saban, Carroll, Meyer, Spurrier, etc that ride of to "greener pastures". Yet after 11 seasons, annual NFL rumors and $ signs everywhere coach Ferentz has remained in the Hawkeye family, through the great and bad. I would not trade Coach or this staff for anyone. I truely believe we could no have a better person leading the Hawkeyes onto the field every Saturday! Here is to another 20 years of Kirk Ferentz leading the Hawks!

Ps sorry in advance for typos as I posted this on an iphne

No, i think most take him for granted. just look at the way people talked about him just 2/3 years ago. Just look at the way people talk about his offense and his offensive coordinator just one week outside of a BCS victory. etc., etc.

+1

He is a great guy and a outstanding coach!!!

Some of us realize it, iahawk20. If you meet the man, you realize what an incredible stroke of LUCK the Iowa Hawkeye football program got when Bowlsby offered the job to Captain Kirk.

Easily one of the most respected coaches in all of college football. No, make that all of football. A solid family man, with solid Iowa roots (he was at Iowa as a young coach with Hayden). And the stability of the staff he has assembled is as Good a college coaching staff as any, anywhere in America.

(Hey, that's pretty goooooood :D)

I think Iowa fans do realize what we have....go to any I Club function and even in the 6-7 years, the guy still got a standing ovation from the crowds. I think people understand his loyalty and personality are unique and are a perfect fit for this state right now.

No, i think most take him for granted. just look at the way people talked about him just 2/3 years ago. Just look at the way people talk about his offense and his offensive coordinator just one week outside of a BCS victory. etc., etc.

I think it's the other way around I think most people know how good we have it. But as you pointed out there are some fans out there that have no clue.

I think most people understand what we have in Coach Ferentz...it's the constant complaining about his assistants that gets me...I guess that's the nature of fickle fans that you'll find anywhere.

It wasn't but about three years ago that "Bend but don't break" was considered outdated and foolish...and many Iowa fans were calling for Norm's job. Don't believe me...Ferentz himself commented on that leading up to the Orange Bowl.

Now Norm Parker is godlike and people want to rag on KOK all day every day...not that it just started...I'm just making a point that Hawkeye fans always need some coach to rag on and it traditionally hasn't been Coach Ferentz...and lately it'd be awfully tough to rag on Coach Parker...so KOK has been getting extra attention from that portion of the fan base...which is IMO fairly sizable.

What was three years ago, HawkCP?

Humpal and Klinkenborg were playing in pass coverage instead of Edds and Angerer. It's amazing what an upgrade in talent will get you. Nothing against the other two, but make no mistake, we did upgrade significantly there. Teams found a lot of seems/holes in our pass coverage back then because those guys weren't quick enough to cover like the guys since.

Re: What was three years ago, HawkCP?

Humpal and Klinkenborg were playing in pass coverage instead of Edds and Angerer. It's amazing what an upgrade in talent will get you. Nothing against the other two, but make no mistake, we did upgrade significantly there. Teams found a lot of seems/holes in our pass coverage back then because those guys weren't quick enough to cover like the guys since.

I think that is right, Thawki. When work and talent are combined, it is amazing how smart a coordinator will look. I do like the staff we have, and I'm even okay with KOK most of the time. ;)

Re: What was three years ago, HawkCP?

What are you trying to say? The point I made was that Norm was getting heat put on him a few years ago by the same fans who are currently praising him as the best dc ever. You're making my point for me...his ability as a dc has not changed but miraculously Hawkeye fans have done a 180 in their opinions of him.

I do.

Here's hoping he beats Hayden's years, winning %, wins, etc.

I don't believe there is a better coach for Iowa than KF. Even in 2006 and 2007 when there were problems on and off the field I couldn't believe people were calling for his job and stated as much.

However, I will also continue to critique KoK when he makes boneheaded playcalls.

I consider most of the people that come to this board are die-hard Hawkeyes with a good knowledge of our football program. With that being said, it never fails to floor me with the KOK haters that post their crap. As has been stated many, many times on this site and all the others: KOK runs the offense that Kirk wants run! They actually have meetings and things like that before each game and ****** the first 12-15 offensive plays, and Kirk approves of them! I know!! I think it was last year that Kirk was questioned about his coordinators (specifically KOK) and their employment, and he said something to the effect of why would he ever think of getting new ones (coordinators) when he thought they were the best in the business.

People...you cannot love Kirk and hate on KOK, because until Kirk leaves or KOK gets offered a HC job, and accepts it (not likely) they will be here together. Personally, I wouldn't want it any other way.

well said Iceberg- KF said something along the lines of once u fire coordinators the next step is the head coach

Latest posts