Do we need MSU to win out for our Rose Bowl hopes?

HaydensDad

If Wisconsin and Iowa are the only 2 teams with 1 B10 loss than Wiscy goes to the Rose bowl since they beat us, right? But, if MSU stays a 1 loss team it becomes a round robin with each of the 3 teams having won and lost to the other 1 loss teams so it comes down to BCS ranking, right?
If this is true we want MSU to win out, and we need to win convincingly to jump Wiscy in the BCS. I'm assuming we jump MSU easily after beating tOSU.

Thoughts?

No the next tie breaker is overall record and Wisky and MSU both went 4-0 in OOC games. That Arizona loss hurts in a number of ways.

Edit: All Iowa needs is for Wisconsin to lose. If they lose, Iowa controls their own destiny.

Overall winning percentage comes before BCS in a 3 way tie. Head to head comes before overall winning percentage if there is more than 2 teams tied. Long story short: We need to win out and need Wisconsin to lose.

No the next tie breaker is overall record and Wisky and MSU both went 4-0 in OOC games. That Arizona loss hurts in a number of ways.

Edit: All Iowa needs is for Wisconsin to lose. If they lose, Iowa controls their own destiny.

This. If they all are 7-1 then Iowa is eliminated due to overall record. Just need Wisky to lose, don't really care about MSU anymore.

Nevermind I was mistaken. The bold rule below seems very unfair because it rewards Wisconsin for playing cupcake games this year.
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/19133-big-ten-bcs-large-breakdown.html
  1. If there is a tie for the championship, the winner of the game between these two teams shall represent the conference.
  2. If there is still a tie, or if the tied teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on the percentage basis of all games played.
  3. If there is still a tie, the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings shall be the representative.
  4. If more than two teams tie for the championship, the same selection procedures shall be followed with the following exceptions:
  5. If three teams are tied, and if one team defeated both of the other teams, then that team shall be the representative.
  6. If three teams are still tied, and if two of the three teams defeated the third team, the third team is eliminated, and the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
  7. If three teams are still tied, and there is a tie game between two of the three teams, or if two or all three of the teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on a percentage basis of all games played.
  8. If three teams are still tied, and one of the three teams is eliminated through the percentage basis of all games played, the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
  9. If three teams are still tied, and all three teams have the same winning percentage of all games played, the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings shall be the representative.

Iowa wins out + 1 Wisconsin loss = Rose Bowl.

If the loss comes, I have a feeling it will be against Northwestern on November 27. Wisconsin is favored by 19.5/20 this weekend at Purdue, and I don't think it will be even that close. The Michigan game will be ugly and Indiana is, well, Indiana.

Wisconsin has had a tendency to have a letdown game toward the end of the season for the past few years (2009: losing @ Northwestern before beating a bad, bad Hawaii team; 2008: needing OT to beat Cal Poly at home in a game Wisconsin should have lost; 2007: beating a 1-11 Minnesota team by 7), so here's hoping the trend continues.

The upshot is that even if Wisconsin wins out they don't control their own destiny--if MSU at Penn State is a noon game on November 27, MSU wins, and the Wis/NW game is an afternooner, maybe Wisconsin will fizzle knowing their Rose Bowl hopes are dust.

If not, Orlando, here we come.

I will call the upset of the year going again to Purdue in back to back seasons. As i stated in another post BigTen teams have a losing record coming off bye weeks.

I will call Penn state beating MSU. Penn State has been getting better as the year has gone along and they will beat MSU.

Now Wisconsin getting beat by NW I am not sure about. This is a possibility but it will take one of those games by NW that they seem to have every year.

What does the non automatic qualifying rule this year do to the B10s Rose Bowl chances?

If Boise, TCU or Utah finish in the top 8, doesn't that squeeze out a P10 or B10 team?

How is it determined what team would go? Does the Rose make that decision?

What does the non automatic qualifying rule this year do to the B10s Rose Bowl chances?

If Boise, TCU or Utah finish in the top 8, doesn't that squeeze out a P10 or B10 team?

I think it only happens if one of those teams is not in the BCS Championship game.

This is only a factor of a P10 or B10 team is in the national title game. Since the B10 is not going to send a team to the NTG, there isn't any worry about a B10 team being squeezed out. But if Oregon wins out, there is a very good chance that the Rose Bowl will pair a B10 team with BSU/TCU/Utah.

No. Iowa winning out + Wisconsin losing at least one game = Rose Bowl.

In fact, the only thing we would gain with MSU losing another game is a shot at the at-large bid.

In fact, the only thing we would gain with MSU losing another game is a shot at the at-large bid.

This----- I hate to say it gang, i really do, but i don't' see Wisconsin loosing any more games, Iowa was it's best shot and they(WI) took care of business.
I would have to agree that of wisconsin's remaining games, Purdue might actually be the best upset of the year, if it were to happen, i just don't see it unfortunately and i would love nothing more to be dead wrong and eat a big ole pile of crow.

all iowa needs to do is continue taking care of business and i really believe that MSU is going to slip up at Penn State----
although not the roses, a trip to Sugar or Fiesta sure would be a nice "consolation" prize!!!!

Nice, so the Pac 10 will more than likely get screwed.

If you call Oregon and the pac10 going to the national championship game getting screwed, then yes they are getting screwed, but I doubt Oregon fans feel they are getting screwed.

If you call Oregon and the pac10 going to the national championship game getting screwed, then yes they are getting screwed, but I doubt Oregon fans feel they are getting screwed.

I call the runner up in the Pac10 getting screwed (Stanford or Arizona most likely)

The most intriguing part of the race is the fact that any of the top four could win out, but even in so doing NONE control their own destiny. Weird.

Latest posts