Do professional athletes deserve their pay?

Answer: no they do not deserve it as they really do not contribute anything truly important to society. Sports is merely a distraction, and if everyone wasn't so distracted, maybe they would pay more attention to truly important things.

Like posting on a sports message board?

the only way i agree with that is if you're saying that because i chose brett favre...

i grew up idolizing ken griffey jr...not my doctor. you're telling me that my parents were at fault for that? or is it because i grew up loving sports? i could go outside and try to do the same things i saw professional athletes doing on tv...but i'm pretty sure i'd have gotten in some big trouble if i tried to take out my friends appendix in the backyard.

i couldn't buy my doctors jersey...i couldn't watch him on tv...i couldn't buy tickets to his surgeries. i'm not saying doctors aren't important. hell, if i had to make the choice between surgery on a saturday in the fall or watching the iowa game, i'm choosing surgery.

but as far as it being a "parenting issue" as to why i called ken griffey jr my hero and not my doctor is absurd

Like I said, it is a distraction, but it doesn't take any of my money.

Well let's just have you get up and tell people what they should spend their money on. People are free to spend their money to be entertained. Yes, sports are a distraction. And a necessary one, at that. Should we all stop going to Cubs games and put that money towards......the situation in Iran? Not sure what we can do to help there. I think I'll go ahead and be 'distracted' from all the crap that I can't control.

Yes, as long as fanatics are willing to fork over the money, they deserve it. I think a better question would be: Does the gov't deserve to take 50% of the athletes salaries?