Do it right, graduate, barf...

CJHawkeye

There is a giant chasm between Iowa basketball and football and programs like Louisville basketball and Penn State football. In that chasm are plenty of schools that are 1) more competitive in sports, 2) equally or more academically challenging, 3) aren't systemically running academic cheating or gang rape programs. That is, dozens of schools that do the right thing and graduate and STILL win more than Iowa.

This Win, Do it Right, Graduate thing is insulting. It's insulting to Iowa fans but equally, it is insulting to programs more successful than Iowa, implying they must either not be doing as well academically or morally.

Iowa is not that tough academically. I graduated from the college of business so I know what the academic standards are generally like and Iowa doesn't rank at the top of the Big Ten overall according to large studies that publish program rankings.

I'm so tired of this lame attempt to placate the "Iowa nice" fan base. We're no better than anyone else and yet the AD tries to play to a false sense of moral superiority to explain our mediocrity in sports.

Sorry, but I am all in with this philosophy. And, I am personally very demanding when it comes to Iowa winning. You can do both, as you pointed out. Attacking Iowa's commitment to high graduation rates and "doing it right" seems rather silly to me.

Since it is an institution of higher learning, funded by taxpayers, doesn't it go without saying that education/graduation is important?

This reminder of "Education" being #1 is a Red Herring, an attempt to switch focus, or a lie...most likely, all of them...trying to cover up a $$$ contract tweak in the midst of the most embarrassing BB season in Iowa history.

It is surreal and sad... Lots of Iowa will take the bait of course...

Sorry, but I am all in with this philosophy. And, I am personally very demanding when it comes to Iowa winning. You can do both, as you pointed out. Attacking Iowa's commitment to high graduation rates and "doing it right" seems rather silly to me.
Don’t take him serious.

Anyone willing to trade Iowa for either one of those programs with their reputations is morally bankrupt. Troll job and a weak one.

A large majority if not all higher learning institutions offer scholarships for life, for a student athlete who makes a decision to turn professional in sports. Graduating an athlete is certainly the goal to achieve, however like any field an athlete often uses a college to springboard his career. There is nothing wrong with pursuing more of this type of athlete, if he is admissable to school and does the coursework to be elgible. College is a great fallback option for the great athlete , for a student, college is likely the option in general to move through life. The money invested in sports does create careers in the field for the exceptional, and as an institution, we should be disappointed if any athletic or academic program doesnt perform to expectations, be it the school of business, law school, med school or drama school. etc.etc etc

There is a giant chasm between Iowa basketball and football and programs like Louisville basketball and Penn State football. In that chasm are plenty of schools that are 1) more competitive in sports, 2) equally or more academically challenging, 3) aren't systemically running academic cheating or gang rape programs. That is, dozens of schools that do the right thing and graduate and STILL win more than Iowa.

This Win, Do it Right, Graduate thing is insulting. It's insulting to Iowa fans but equally, it is insulting to programs more successful than Iowa, implying they must either not be doing as well academically or morally.

Iowa is not that tough academically. I graduated from the college of business so I know what the academic standards are generally like and Iowa doesn't rank at the top of the Big Ten overall according to large studies that publish program rankings.

I'm so tired of this lame attempt to placate the "Iowa nice" fan base. We're no better than anyone else and yet the AD tries to play to a false sense of moral superiority to explain our mediocrity in sports.

I don't quite know when or where you attended the University of Iowa, or how seriously you took your attendance and academic potential/achievement, but...
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA
mini-badge-color.svg

#31 in Top Public Schools (tie)
#78 in National Universities (tie)

The University of Iowa is ranked, in the USA Today 2018 collegiate rankings based on many many factors, as being in the top 1/4 of all public universities nationally, and in the top 100 of all universities nationally...and, naturally, above Iowa State University and the University of Nebraska, and one of those two is where I'm sure this trolling originates...

I don't quite know when or where you attended the University of Iowa, or how seriously you took your attendance and academic potential/achievement, but...
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA
mini-badge-color.svg

#31 in Top Public Schools (tie)
#78 in National Universities (tie)

The University of Iowa is ranked, in the USA Today 2018 collegiate rankings based on many many factors, as being in the top 1/4 of all public universities nationally, and in the top 100 of all universities nationally...and, naturally, above Iowa State University and the University of Nebraska, and one of those two is where I'm sure this trolling originates...
9 other BIG Universities rank higher than Iowa - USNews 2018 Top Public Colleges (as you already noted, Iowa is tied for #31). So, his claim that Iowa is a middle of the pack BIG academic program seems like a valid argument.

Since it is an institution of higher learning, funded by taxpayers, doesn't it go without saying that education/graduation is important?

This reminder of "Education" being #1 is a Red Herring, an attempt to switch focus, or a lie...most likely, all of them...trying to cover up a $$$ contract tweak in the midst of the most embarrassing BB season in Iowa history.

It is surreal and sad... Lots of Iowa will take the bait of course...

Doing it right and graduating student athletes has become the narrative to explain away a lack of success on the fields of athletic competition. The OP is correct that there are plenty of other schools that also do it the "right way" but are having more success than Iowa on the athletic fields. I'd argue that jNW is surpassing Iowa. As long as Iowa fans are married to, and demand that, Iowa is stocked with as many Iowans as is possible, doing it the right way will be our story.

9 other BIG Universities rank higher than Iowa - USNews 2018 Top Public Colleges (as you already noted, Iowa is tied for #31). So, his claim that Iowa is a middle of the pack BIG academic program seems like a valid argument.

With regard to the B1G, the argument is valid, if you take it at face value. The implication is that, between rankings, and the poster's personal Iowa academic experience, that Iowa is a garbage bottom of the barrel public university. It is not.

Using Louisville and Penn St as examples is weak, they're both clearly on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum. There is such thing as a palatable mid ground. Finding that sweet spot is of course, the trick.

The slogan and philosophy of win/grad/do it right sounds terrific (who could disagree with that...kind of like "it's for the children") but we all know it was a lame attempt to take the heat off a team that looked like hell on the field and its coach. Had Barta come out with that after a strong season, it would have been much better received. But we all know that timing isn't one of GarBar's strengths.

With regard to the B1G, the argument is valid, if you take it at face value. The implication is that, between rankings, and the poster's personal Iowa academic experience, that Iowa is a garbage bottom of the barrel public university. It is not.

It is fair to say that Iowa's admission standards are low by Big standards. That doesn't make it garbage though. Depending on programs, a B high school gpa and a 24 ACT will likely get you in. Not so at many Big schools. I don't know about Rutgers and Maryland. IU, IA, NE, and MSU are pretty similar. It gets harder from there. At other schools a B+ and a 26 might not get you in.

There are some Big 12 schools that are also harder to get in. However, OU and OSU are pretty low as are the Kansas schools.

There is a growing disconnect as most state schools have adopted the phrase "tax assisted" schools. Endowments and other fundings are huge now.

Anyone who thinks Iowa is scores above ISU and Nebby outside of Medicine is pretty much delusional.

Anyone thinks that privilege and cronyism doesn't go on at all major public universities is simply kidding themselves. It wasn't that long ago there was a thread (back when Iowa football was struggling more) where many said they'd be OK with cheating if it meant a successful program even if caught.

Cheating isn't just about silly rules violations.

Being in the top1/4 of public universities isn't much of a bar. We forget that IL, MN, MO, and Wisky have a high number of public universities. Iowa would of course be in the top 1/4 of all those. You can even through in NDSU ND, SDSU and SD if it makes you feel better. Being a P5 school gets Iowa a lot of grants that those regionals don't get. ISU and Nebby get a whole lot of USDA funding.

I highly doubt he was implying his education is garbage. The implication he was making is obvious. Iowa is not an elite academic institution, like Northwestern or Stanford.

"Do it the right way" may work at Duke, Kansas, etc. when you're a blue blood. But at Iowa, this basically results in not being able to recruit worth a crap and being totally irrelevant. Sucks but that's the way it is.

^^^^ Translated: I'd like to see a coach at Iowa that isn't afraid to push the envelope a bit. I honestly don't care.. To me, it's just basketball. No more, no less. I want to enjoy it.

I'm sure Lick did it "the right way" too, but CHA was mostly empty for the games.

Yes, I'd prefer to do it right, but I'm also trying to be realistic.

Most points allowed...EVER to a Nebraska BB team...

Lowest yards...EVER allowed by a Wisconsin football team...62

Fewest people in the seats for an Iowa BB game at Carver...EVER...is is possible?

Hey Gary...is that you over there....noise sure carries when this place is empty, doesn't it?

Doing it right and graduating student athletes has become the narrative to explain away a lack of success on the fields of athletic competition. The OP is correct that there are plenty of other schools that also do it the "right way" but are having more success than Iowa on the athletic fields. I'd argue that jNW is surpassing Iowa. As long as Iowa fans are married to, and demand that, Iowa is stocked with as many Iowans as is possible, doing it the right way will be our story.
I’d prefer the tail not wag the dog.

I see college athletics as nothing more than a business. The athletes are simply interns using it as a stepping stone to either get a shot at making the pros, getting a degree, making personal contacts along the way to get them somewhere in life, or simply not taking advantage of the opportunity they have in front of them. It's their choice how they want to take advantage of it, or if they simply want to throw away a golden opportunity. Athletes use the universities. The universities use the athletes.

I'd love to see a high graduation rate, but as a fan I'd love to see us establish a culture of underclassmen using us as showcase for a few years and moving on to the next level. So if they graduate great. If not so what. I'm just hoping for competitive product that competes at a high level.

I highly doubt he was implying his education is garbage. The implication he was making is obvious. Iowa is not an elite academic institution, like Northwestern or Stanford.
Exactly. Just like the point of this thread there is a huge chasm between a garbage education and Standford. Iowa falls somewhere in that middle ground gap. But the AD continues to insult us by using some faux highfalutin academic standards as the excuse for why we have to deal with mediocre athletics.

Using Louisville and Penn St as examples is weak, they're both clearly on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum. There is such thing as a palatable mid ground. Finding that sweet spot is of course, the trick.

The slogan and philosophy of win/grad/do it right sounds terrific (who could disagree with that...kind of like "it's for the children") but we all know it was a lame attempt to take the heat off a team that looked like hell on the field and its coach. Had Barta come out with that after a strong season, it would have been much better received. But we all know that timing isn't one of GarBar's strengths.

You're making the same point as I was. PSU and Louisville are extremes. You don't have to be a choir boy to be a good person. Just run of the mill decent. Stop holding Iowa athletics to a fake elevated standard.

Most points allowed...EVER to a Nebraska BB team...

Lowest yards...EVER allowed by a Wisconsin football team...62

Fewest people in the seats for an Iowa BB game at Carver...EVER...is is possible?

Hey Gary...is that you over there....noise sure carries when this place is empty, doesn't it?

Didn't you hear that Nebraska basketball team was one of the best offensive teams we've seen this year. Haha!

Latest posts