DL Next year

clim33

If we can manage to keep JJ (Jaleel please be hawkeye) maybe this isn't needed but we still be young so maybe it is

DO WE CONSIDER AUSTIN BLYTHE at DL in 2012? He is a 290 lb former state champ wrestler with great hands and feet. I have to think he could really be a gap closer and free up our LBs.

Anyone think this is even a possibility??

I know we have Davis, and Coop coming off RS but seems to me we also may need to move a younger guy to end if Alvis is still not recovered by Sept

What the plan?

Well, at least when the ultra conservative, take no chance play loses games next year KF will always have the excuse that we are young. Oh wait, he uses that excuse about every year...

One thing to remember is Iowa has not had a guy recruited at DT pan out since Colin Cole. The list of guys that didn't work out is truly impressive.

Right now the projected two-deeps include 3 third year sophomores who have made no impact on the field, Hardy, Davis, and Trinca-Passat, even when Iowa was fielding a sub-par line last year and could have used one to step up. There are 5th years seniors like Bigach and Gaglione in the mix. Then there is Alvis and the true RS Freshmen Spears and Cooper.

So to sum up:
1) Iowa could use a freshman DT to step in and play, while they haven't had one even contribute throughout their career in a decade.
2) They need help from 3rd year players who couldn't crack the weakest DL in recent history.
3) They need a guy to come back strong after an ACL.
4) They need a RS Frosh DT recruit to make an impact (see point one)
5) Then there is Spears. Iowa has had luck recruiting guys at DE who have succeeded. So, this might be their best bet of the bunch.

Basically, something unexpected is going to have to happen, or it will be a 2007 type year.

there are 2 sr's, 1 jr, 4 rs so, and 4 rs fr, then you have the incoming recruits to be determined, this a very young group with Cooper, Johnson and Ekakite the highest rated of the group, as for highly rated D-L not making it at Iowa believe Clayborn was the last highly ranked recruit and he made it to the NFL.
the others you reference were 3*'s, its time for the youngster to step up and its not like the Iowa coach have not had success doing so

Clayborn was listed as a DE in recruiting not a DT. So was Daniels, Binns, and Ballard was a DE/TE. Iowa does OK with recruiting guys who are listed at DE, just not with DT recruits.

Here is a partial list of guys that didn't pan out. Kitrell, Ewen, Bain, Kanellis, Johnson, Fergusen, Hundertmark, Collins, Covert. That is off the top of my head. But I am pretty sure it goes around a dozen deep. And yes, there are some 4* guys in there.

there are 2 sr's, 1 jr, 4 rs so, and 4 rs fr, then you have the incoming recruits to be determined, this a very young group with Cooper, Johnson and Ekakite the highest rated of the group, as for highly rated D-L not making it at Iowa believe Clayborn was the last highly ranked recruit and he made it to the NFL.
the others you reference were 3*'s, its time for the youngster to step up and its not like the Iowa coach have not had success doing so

That may be but you can't ignore obvious facts there is a correlation to 5 star HS players and getting drafted. So are you telling me you'd rather have all 3 star guys with the belief that you can transform enough of them to challenge for conf. championships and maybe a national championship? If so I have some PREMIUM ocean front property in Phoenix I'd love for you to look at.

apples to oranges in Iowa's case, they do not get 5* recruits, so Iowa has to do what they can with what they get.
Kannelis was a 4* but the others were 3*'s, this will be the 1st time they have gotten 4* recruits on the DL in back to back years
and if JJ signs, it will be the 1st time where Iowa was capable to have 3 4* recruits on the DL in Ekakitie SDE, Cooper DT, Johnson DT, at the same time
so take your property and shove it up your ***

Well, at least when the ultra conservative, take no chance play loses games next year KF will always have the excuse that we are young. Oh wait, he uses that excuse about every year...

please provide the link showing that KF used youth as an excuse for a loss. if you or the pig can come up with one, i will be impressed.

name the last true freshman difference maker on the DL - i suppose that is Ferentz' fault as well.......

and as for caarhawk the point they were 2nd year freshmen not 3rd year players
get the story straight, there were 6 seniors in the 2 deeps that did not pan out, again you show your ignorance

please provide the link showing that KF used youth as an excuse for a loss. if you or the pig can come up with one, i will be impressed.

name the last true freshman difference maker on the DL - i suppose that is Ferentz' fault as well.......

Here's a KF quote "You want an honest answer? I have no idea."

As quoted from Kirk Ferentz. Dude in a match of wits you come to a gun fight with a knife. Nice job.

Last edited:
Oh wait imported ankle boy here's another one

"It's amazing when you go through their two-deep how many fourth- and fifth-year guys are there, and the offensive line is the focal point of that. They're not just older, they're experienced and good football players that are aggressive and tough. It will be a challenge for us up front (on defense)."

Sounds like a youth excuse to me. Do your homework and then pop off.

Oh wait imported ankle boy here's another one

"It's amazing when you go through their two-deep how many fourth- and fifth-year guys are there, and the offensive line is the focal point of that. They're not just older, they're experienced and good football players that are aggressive and tough. It will be a challenge for us up front (on defense)."

Sounds like a youth excuse to me. Do your homework and then pop off.

Saying someone else has tremendous experience is not a "we're young" excuse...you dumbf*ck...

Saying someone else has tremendous experience is not a "we're young" excuse...you dumbf*ck...

Testy testy aren't we he absolutely used that as an excuse. But I wouldnt' expect you to understand. I was merely producing evidence contrary to imported ankle boys point that KF has NEVER said anything or made an excuse for being young.

I actually believe KF was right in saying that when you are going up against 4th and 5th year seniors that IS going to make a difference in how the game is played and you may come up on the wrong side of the W and L ledger.

Pay attention or go pump yourself.

Testy testy aren't we he absolutely used that as an excuse. But I wouldnt' expect you to understand. I was merely producing evidence contrary to imported ankle boys point that KF has NEVER said anything or made an excuse for being young.

I actually believe KF was right in saying that when you are going up against 4th and 5th year seniors that IS going to make a difference in how the game is played and you may come up on the wrong side of the W and L ledger.

Pay attention or go pump yourself.

Go troll somewhere else, tool bag. :)

Hey smart A** here's another one if you and ankle boy didn't like the first one.

"It's going to be a battle of the inexperienced groups. We're going to be young up front, no doubt about that. But there is a lot of pride in that group. They don't want to be the reason we don't do well this year." -KF

Hey smart A** here's another one if you and ankle boy didn't like the first one.

"It's going to be a battle of the inexperienced groups. We're going to be young up front, no doubt about that. But there is a lot of pride in that group. They don't want to be the reason we don't do well this year." -KF

Hey dumba$$...read my last post. I won't respond again so you're going to bore quickly...I hope...and tell your babysitter to stop texting her boyfriend and realize you're F'n around on the PC...

how is that KF using youth as a excuse, its the truth, the D will be young can't hide that.
even to the uniformed they can see how young the D will be this upcoming season.
the good thing is they will be young and hungry to prove they can get the job done not to mention the competition for starting spots.

and as for caarhawk the point they were 2nd year freshmen not 3rd year players
get the story straight, there were 6 seniors in the 2 deeps that did not pan out, again you show your ignorance

Were you typing quick? The thread is about next year's line. I said there are three third year sophomores that haven't yet made an impact.

As far as the seniors are concerned, I am not sure what that has to do with a thread about next year's line either.

Nothing I said was incorrect. You might have read it wrong, but it was accurate.

One thing to remember is Iowa has not had a guy recruited at DT pan out since Colin Cole. The list of guys that didn't work out is truly impressive.

Right now the projected two-deeps include 3 third year sophomores who have made no impact on the field, Hardy, Davis, and Trinca-Passat, even when Iowa was fielding a sub-par line last year and could have used one to step up. There are 5th years seniors like Bigach and Gaglione in the mix. Then there is Alvis and the true RS Freshmen Spears and Cooper.

So to sum up:
1) Iowa could use a freshman DT to step in and play, while they haven't had one even contribute throughout their career in a decade.
2) They need help from 3rd year players who couldn't crack the weakest DL in recent history.
3) They need a guy to come back strong after an ACL.
4) They need a RS Frosh DT recruit to make an impact (see point one)
5) Then there is Spears. Iowa has had luck recruiting guys at DE who have succeeded. So, this might be their best bet of the bunch.

Basically, something unexpected is going to have to happen, or it will be a 2007 type year.
Very sobering indeed. One or two of those soph. really need to wake up and get it going.

Latest posts