DJK postgame interview

DJK is a bright and charsmatic person. As a poster stated several months ago, DJK pushes the envelope, smart enough to know where the line is and not cross it. A lot of cliches in that last sentence, but its accurate.

I'm an old fart so I have no problem with KF shutting down his twitter privileges til January. I've got no problems with a little trash talking, but like a lot things in our society it has become excessive. Win or lose, doesn't matter if you suck or not, talking bleep when you make a routine play on every play. All of it is a bit much, but I am getting older different world I guess.

Agree/disagree, doesn't matter just no one go to the 'expressing themselves' card. Please.....;)

Some people on this board are ridiculous. "Haters" means people who didn't believe in you and or always want to try to take you down a notch. I have no problem with him for thanking the people that motivated him to be better. He wasn't a 5 star recruit coming out of high school but has played like one. Maybe that's where the "haters" comes from.

Urban Dictionary

hater

A person that simply cannot be happy for another person's success. So rather than be happy for them they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person. The hater doesn't really want to be the person, rather the hater wants to knock someone else down a notch.

DJK has been a great receiver for Iowa,and has kept his nose clean off the field. Never been in any real trouble and has been a great teammate. I think he is more than worthy to take Tim Dwights spot at the top of the list. He certainly has been one of the more clutch receivers in Iowa history. He has not piled up those numbers vs the cupcakes, but in October and November...and January! Congrats to DJK...and thanks for being a Hawkeye!!

who does he consider his haters? I think he would have been better to leave that part out. no wonder Coach Ferentz limits this guy's access to the press.

As often as the media, TV announcers and the fans have hounded DJK for the last couple of years about being in the "doghouse" with Coach Ferentz, I'd say, umm...Yeah - lots of haters.

Way to go DJK! Congrats and keep stackin up the numbers!

remember that time DJK got arrested?

remember that time he flunked a class?

me neither.

When Roth dropped the f bomb at the hawkeye huddle I didnt see all you "old school" people whining.

LOL So many people asking where the haters are when they are the ones hating. Come on guys. Hes good and hes proved it. He's still just a kid, get off your high horses.

No idea what the problem is about what he said. What I translate is: He's extremely grateful and happy to be the top in the record books and thanks everyone, even his doubters, for the motivation to do it...

I'd consider this a pretty straightforward statement.

+1

"Doubters" might be the better word if you were making a long prepared speech. I think in the midst of providing a brief statement, and with youth in general, the word "hater" could be interchanged with the word "doubter", or "naysayer". It is an overused expression by many of today's younger generation. DJK is the best we've had, and his numbers now prove it. I don't know him personally, but it appears to me that he loves being a Hawkeye. I have become a DJK fan this year, and it's not based only on his playing and abilities.

Yep, once again DJK gives us both his good and his bad. Just can't keep his mouth shut...even on his proudest day. Had a chance to rise above it...and just couldn't help himself. It's a shame.

Nobody "Hates" the kid, that's absurd. We just wish he'd conduct himself as intelligently as he's proported to be. He's a special talent and will be in the record books forever. But he'll also be remembered for this kind of stuff. And that's nobody's fault but his own.
Couldn't disagree more.

I've been really critical of DJK in the past, but I see this as nothing more than DJK acknowledging that he knows that some people don't approve of his attitude, which he uses as motivation to perform better on the field.

I'm not going to even get into this again. I've learned that a small segment of Hawk fans want every player to have the demeanor that they are comfortable with. There isn't much use in arguing with these morons.

As for the "haters" comment, I think it would be smarter to look towards the state of Ohio for the meaning of that.

I'm not going to even get into this again. I've learned that a small segment of Hawk fans want every player to have the demeanor that they are comfortable with. There isn't much use in arguing with these morons.

As for the "haters" comment, I think it would be smarter to look towards the state of Ohio for the meaning of that.

Bingo. This is what people don't understand. He wanted to go to Ohio State really, really, really bad. He was willing to walk-on just to put on that uniform and prove he could play for them. He almost did too. Lucky for us he didn't.

1-29-2006:

Youngstown Cardinal Mooney wide receiver Derrell Johnson did not get the scholarship offer he wanted from Ohio State, but it might not stop him from becoming a Buckeye. Johnson will likely have offers from other Division I colleges soon, but right now, he says he is leaning towards walking on at Ohio State.

Derrell Johnson didn’t get the scholarship offer he wanted from Ohio State, but he’s still determined to be a Buckeye.

June 2006
Although Derrell Johnson of Cardinal Mooney might have dreamed of playing college football for Ohio State, when things broke off between him and the Buckeyes, he didn't have to look very hard to find a team that was more than willing to take him. But in his last high school football game, Johnson hopes to do everything he can to lead Ohio to victory in the 49th Annual Big 33 Football Classic.

It was like a fairy tale without the happy ending.

For the longest time, many Ohio State fans who follow the recruiting scene closely were rooting for Derrell Johnson of Cardinal Mooney High School to become a Buckeye.

Last edited:
Yep, once again DJK gives us both his good and his bad. Just can't keep his mouth shut...even on his proudest day. Had a chance to rise above it...and just couldn't help himself. It's a shame.

Nobody "Hates" the kid, that's absurd. We just wish he'd conduct himself as intelligently as he's proported to be. He's a special talent and will be in the record books forever. But he'll also be remembered for this kind of stuff. And that's nobody's fault but his own.

Give me a break. You people are babies. He will be remembered as the best receiver Iowa has ever had on maybe one of the best teams Iowa's ever had. That's my $0.02.

This discussion will likely end up the way it usually does. Two camps:

1. Old school fans to which words like sportsmanship, class, discipline, "team" still have some gravity...as opposed to seeing them as tired old cliche's

2. Post MTV, rap, trash-talking is cool, Terrel Owens/Ochocinco/etc fans who think it's hip to be subtley disrespectful and self-important.

To each his own.

Do you have a hangover? Because you're kind of coming off as a 'hater' in this thread.:confused:

I have never questioned his talent. I have been critical of him for not making the consistent plays, because of that talent. I think its fitting that he breaks Dwight's record, because he is the most talented playmaker with the ball in his hands since Tim Dwight

Honestly, he wasn't trash talking. I've not said it in an interview, but all the people who told me I couldn't ever be a good baseball player were the ones I owed most of the thanks to when I DID end up being a good player. Positive support is very important, but all the people telling you that you can't do something? That's the biggest motivator out there. His language might have been a little "MTV-ish", but that doesn't make it trash talking.

P.S.- I mentioned that I never said that in an interview. That might have a little something to do with the fact that I never had the platform that DJK does.

Somebody here gave me negative rep for calling it like it is. Way to go internet tough guy. When you "negative rep" someone at least sign it, rather than doing it anonymously.

Sorry, but I can't just "chill" when some loser who has probably never played a down of football, or done anything athletically, in his life sits behind a computer screen and criticizes one of our best players of all-time. That is a joke.

Somebody here gave me negative rep for calling it like it is. Way to go internet tough guy. When you "negative rep" someone at least sign it, rather than doing it anonymously.

Sorry, but I can't just "chill" when some loser who has probably never played a down of football, or done anything athletically, in his life sits behind a computer screen and criticizes one of our best players of all-time. That is a joke.

Over NOTHING. I'm fine with criticism if it were something like DJK dogging it on his downfield blocking or something (Something that seemed to happen fairly frequently until he was out of the "doghouse" last season. Think maybe that was just a coincidence?) But this is just a stupid thing to pick at.

Don't feel bad, someone is having fun down rep'ing me with no comments too.

I love how he called out his haters...when people don't believe in you it makes you a stronger person to persevere and he did just that. Maybe he is talking to those who say "keep your mouth shut." GO DJK!!

Don't feel bad, someone is having fun down rep'ing me with no comments too.

Ditto, I got one today that said this. Of course the person wouldn't man or girl up with a signature.. :)

:D "Loser post....not even in the right forum & won't change it" :D

For my NFL Packers/Chargers post..

Latest posts