DJK & KF "intense" meeting in early December?

Back to the original post about an intense meeting b/w them. I said on another board a week ago that I wouldn't be surprised if KF was to suspend DJK for the bowl game. You can't have players taking shots at the coaches like DJK was starting to do on a regular basis on the internet. Whether it is right or not, you have to have a unified front. It looks bad when you don't and it undermines your authority as a coach. I'm sure it annoyed the hell out of KF to have DJK constantly throwing quips out there about how he was going to hold a press conference after the season and how he was going to tell the real reason he was not a starter in the Minnesota game.

Went to the South Dakota State game the day after the NW debacle. Good seats. But not the point. At the half , a couple of fellows met behind me to have a chat. In this day of texting, I felt it a little odd. Obviously, some big donors to the University. I thought nothing of it at the time but just idle gossip. But one said to the other " I hear this team has a huge coke problem". Now, I wonder.

Jesus. Well, that would make perfect sense to me after this crash and burn season.

As disappointing as this season was, hearing this other garbage about drugs is even more disturbing. I don't expect a bunch of choir boys but this is ridiculous.

Went to the South Dakota State game the day after the NW debacle. Good seats. But not the point. At the half , a couple of fellows met behind me to have a chat. In this day of texting, I felt it a little odd. Obviously, some big donors to the University. I thought nothing of it at the time but just idle gossip. But one said to the other " I hear this team has a huge coke problem". Now, I wonder.

I would not be surprised. I know for a fact there was a problem with blow on the basketball team in the 2001-2003 squads. It was widely known when I was in school down there. I would not be surprised if this football team has a problem, the 'coke scene' is very rampant in Iowa City. If a guy or two on the team gets into it, it tends to spread.
It seems to me increased expectations and exposure seem to lead to these type of things. Maybe guys feel a lot of pressure so they try to find a release? I don't know. But I am not surprised, Iowa City seems to have a reputation for having a big coke scene. I know, especially at the bars, that the stuff floats around like candy at times. Maybe a big time bust like this is something needed to help clean up the place a little bit.

I have seen DJK out catching balls on the practice field late at night so many times I couldn't try to count them all if I tried. I would say that is showing a little bit of hard work and dedication, no? The whole "DJK not practicing hard" thing, IMO, is waaaay overblown.

Wait a minute.....you were down by the practice field late at night with DJK? So many times? Was it dark? And why couldn't you count? What was going on down there.....that would have both of you up so late at night? Hmmmmmmmm?

Ok, totally kidding. Too soon?

I would not be surprised. I know for a fact there was a problem with blow on the basketball team in the 2001-2003 squads. It was widely known when I was in school down there. I would not be surprised if this football team has a problem, the 'coke scene' is very rampant in Iowa City. If a guy or two on the team gets into it, it tends to spread.
It seems to me increased expectations and exposure seem to lead to these type of things. Maybe guys feel a lot of pressure so they try to find a release? I don't know. But I am not surprised, Iowa City seems to have a reputation for having a big coke scene. I know, especially at the bars, that the stuff floats around like candy at times. Maybe a big time bust like this is something needed to help clean up the place a little bit.

I don't think it's necessarily that they are looking for a release from the pressure, I think high expectations make them feel more like celebrities. Everybody wants to party with them when they're successful. Easy access to coke, probably getting it free lots of times. You know a lot of college would think it was so cool to have DJK, or any random Iowa starter, at their after party. I think the players also like to party more when their winning, I doubt too many people would have been excited to party with the Iowa basketball team last year, but hanging out with the guys on the football team would be another story.

Are you seriously questioning DJK's effort? In the games we desperately needed him he almost always came through. 114 yards and a TD to bring us back against Arizona? 93 yards and a TD trying to hold off Wisconsin? 104 yards and a TD trying to hold off Northwestern? 2 total TDs and one of the only players that looked like he actually cared against Minnesota?

And unless you have an inside source to suggest he didn't work hard at practice, I wouldn't even try to bring that one up. I don't condone what Derrell did.....question his common sense, he clearly doesn't have enough....but to question his effort? Pretty dumb comment IMO.

I'm with you, OSU KO return for a TD. Without that I doubt Iowa makes it to OT.

I don't think it's necessarily that they are looking for a release from the pressure, I think high expectations make them feel more like celebrities. Everybody wants to party with them when they're successful. Easy access to coke, probably getting it free lots of times. You know a lot of college would think it was so cool to have DJK, or any random Iowa starter, at their after party. I think the players also like to party more when their winning, I doubt too many people would have been excited to party with the Iowa basketball team last year, but hanging out with the guys on the football team would be another story.

Mike, you are dead spot on with everything. The celebrity status in Iowa City would get you hooked up with the wrong people and things. You are correct on all accounts. Guarenteed the free stuff was floating around, especially once people started hearing things, like "So and so did some blow with so and so the other night." etc, etc.

I stand behind my comment. Showing up and working hard once a week doesn't work for KF...and it never will. DJK did plenty to avoid practice time....up to you if you want to believe it or not. I frankly do not care.

I'm glad you don't care - because your credibility just went into the toilet.

There certainly was a problem on the basketball squad from 2001-2003. I remember seeing a couple players out til like 4 in the morning at after hours getting dirty on a Friday night when they had a game the next day at like noon.

DJK never got "it"....from drugs to driving with a revoked license earlier in the season and getting pulled over to a lack of effort to not listening to coaches...blah blah blah

I'm sorry, but this is 100% wrong. DJK gave 100% on gameday, and that isn't up for debate.

There certainly was a problem on the basketball squad from 2001-2003. I remember seeing a couple players out til like 4 in the morning at after hours getting dirty on a Friday night when they had a game the next day at like noon.

Yes, I saw this on multiple occassions. I also heard several stories. They were regularly out after games and on nights before games. Again it seemed like it was a select crew, not everyone was involved but it was certainly an important portion of those basketball teams that were.

Yes, I saw this on multiple occassions. I also heard several stories. They were regularly out after games and on nights before games. Again it seemed like it was a select crew, not everyone was involved but it was certainly an important portion of those basketball teams that were.

i can vouch for this as well. i wouldnt call it a "problem" but it was definitely happening. i cant say i saw it the night before games or anything like that though.

Latest posts