DJK and the NFL draft

PJHawk

Of the 40 (or so?) NFL draft picks from the Ferentz era I don't believe that he has had a WR drafted (nor a QB?). Will DJK be the first?

McNutt is also only a junior, so DJK will go before him, and I would say he's a late round draft pick when you look at some of the guys that get drafted rounds 5-7 at the WR position.

If Ferentz wants to help DJK out he will have him returning kicks and punts...that will be the only place he has in the League. Either way he's a FA. McNutt could definitely go in the late rounds.

If Ferentz wants to help DJK out he will have him returning kicks and punts...that will be the only place he has in the League. Either way he's a FA. McNutt could definitely go in the late rounds.

I disagree. It's way to early to tell. If DJK has a nice year and puts in a good performance in work outs or the combine he could get drafted.

I think the biggest unknown at this point would be what type of 40 he runs. If he runs an above average 40 he will be drafted.

I disagree. It's way to early to tell. If DJK has a nice year and puts in a good performance in work outs or the combine he could get drafted.

I think the biggest unknown at this point would be what type of 40 he runs. If he runs an above average 40 he will be drafted.

What is your definition of above average? I think running in the high 4.5's is the limit for DJK, and with his size that is not wowing any NFL scouts.

WR is the hardest position to scout college performance vs pro potential unless the guy is a dynamic athlete

DJK's game:

Pros
-He runs pretty good routes. Has the ability to sell a route.
-Very strong
-seems to be a gamer
-very intelligent
-decent returner

Cons
-Doesn't actively grab the ball
-catches with his body
-immature
-not fast, but not slow either
-low YAC avg

People are way to hard on DJK and putting the cart in front of the horse with McNutt.

Everyone is talking like McNutt has been our leading receiver statistically...but it's been DJK who has led Iowa in all major receiving categories for years. While McNutt had some big plays last year he seemed to completely diappear at times especially during the middle portions of games. I really think DJK will get drafted next year. He's been productive and will really wow some people with his strength and quickness/agility during drills next year. Also, how can people act like speed is an issure with DJK but not McNutt. DJK is definitely faster than Marvin.

DJK's game:

Pros
-Very strong
-seems to be a gamer
-very intelligent
-decent returner

Cons
-catches with his body
-immature
-low YAC avg

Like you said, he's not a burner, but he's not slow either. One of his best attributes is that he is a chain-mover. He's our version of Dallas Clark in Indy. If we need a big catch on 3rd down to move the chains, DJK is our man, and he seemingly always delivers.

People are way to hard on DJK and putting the cart in front of the horse with McNutt.

Everyone is talking like McNutt has been our leading receiver statistically...but it's been DJK who has led Iowa in all major receiving categories for years. While McNutt had some big plays last year he seemed to completely diappear at times especially during the middle portions of games. I really think DJK will get drafted next year. He's been productive and will really wow some people with his strength and quickness/agility during drills next year. Also, how can people act like speed is an issure with DJK but not McNutt. DJK is definitely faster than Marvin.

McNutt is decpetively fast. He looked to hit top speed much quicker in the spring game, and I'm sure that will improve again before he goes pro. He also has one big advantage that makes up for not having elite speed: the guy is 6'4" 215, and only going to add more muscle. And he's got terrific hands.

DJK's game:

Pros
-Very strong
-seems to be a gamer
-very intelligent
-decent returner

Cons
-catches with his body
-immature
-low YAC avg
-refuses to get with the program

yup..mcnutt has the prototypical body that scouts are looking for. i'm not saying djk can't or won't get drafted...but he's got a bigger hill to climb than mcnutt does. pro scouts don't look at who lead this category in college on a specific team. they look at what do you bring to the table.

djk in a scouts eyes is short, average speed, questionable hands(i say this because he doesn't use them, not knocking him one bit), a decent route runner, and strong for his size

mcnutt in a scouts eyes is 6'4, great hands, average speed, decent route runner, average strength.

which of those 2 would you draft?

I think he will be drafted. Not sure where yet. His 40 time will be a big factor. As far as size, I wouldn't say he's small. He's 6'1" 200lbs, that's not small. 6'4" 215lbs wouldn't be prototypical NFL receiver size. If McNutt makes improvements close to what he did over the last year or so I could see him being taken fairly high in the 2012 draft.

I really think McNutt has a chance to be a high round selection...he's HUGE, decently fast...and has hands about the size of frying pans...and catches almost anything.