DJ Johnson in Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked off the record with DJ, so not surprised by the Tweet. I won't share what he told me because I told him I wouldn't. He just wasn't happy here. It is what it is.

Sometimes it's just not a "fit" for whatever reason. The town, the vibe with a coach, difficulty with school, any number of personal things...who knows. Hope he finds a better fit and does well.

Last edited:
This one hurts. I thought DJ improved a lot after a rough start. I have no idea why Moss continued to play over him last year or why it sounds like he's ahead of Brents on the depth chart currently. Brents reminded me a lot of Josh Jackson as a freshman, hopefully he gets the nod this year opposite Hankins or he'll be the next to transfer.
If Brents and Merriweather transfer out of here because Moss and Koerner totally shut the door on them the Ferentz haters are going to be out in full force.

With the amount of secondary players that have either transferred or left with eligibility It makes me think back to the game at OSU in 2013 where I was sitting behind the Iowa team and listening to Phil screaming profanities at his players. I'm going to speculate Phil isn't exactly a players coach.

I just cannot get real worried about the D backs we have recruited. Our history at that position is pretty solid. We have had a couple of guys who were not highly rated but are in the NFL. Yes, I hate to see DJ transfer. He certainly showed some promise. However, as our recruiting ramps up, we are going to see some transfers. I wish him the best. Now, next man in.

If his heart isn't in it, then it's better he moves on anyway. Like hawkdrummer said, it could be any number of reasons. Could be reasons that have nothing to do with the program. I mean he was just home for the shut down. People tend to lose focus during times like we are and have been in.

Dang didn't see that coming. Figured he'd play quite a bit next yr.

Yes, surprising to see Rob's titled thread. I thought he played really well during his opportunities. I cant remember his size and weight but I thought he might be prime CASH player.

Well said. Stinks to lose him for sure.

For the recruiting aspect I still think there is something there. I love what the staff has done recruiting overall, but CB is the one position I can’t really figure out. We know recruiting rankings aren’t the end all be all and PP has had success with lower rated guys, but nonetheless I do think rankings and offers mean at least something. After we lose Hankins next year look at our CB room.

Brents (solid recruit)
Moss (preferred walk on?)
Roberts (low rated no P5 offers)
Harris (late signee, low rated, no P5 offers)
McKinney (low rated / Mac offers)
Deasfernades (very under the radar/ no offers)
Lawson (Minnesota offer)

We are recruiting very well at nearly every other position, but still just going under the radar here. We’ve recently produced Thorpe winners and NFL guys but can’t seem to start getting higher level talent at this spot.

One reason could be that guys that come in as RBs, WRs, QBs, etc., are the guys coaching staff really see as CBs/Ss who are better on the defensive side of the ball. How many guys probably think, "I'm the next great QB!", when those who truly know see them as "The next great ____". More than we, collectively on this board, could ever count with any degree of accuracy.

Moss didn't cost us the win. He and Brents were both getting roasted as true freshmen by a pass-happy, all-verts offense. It is not like Phil wanted them in there, we were down our 2 starting CBs to injury (OJ and Hankins), Rugamba had just transferred before the year, and J. Jackson had left early for NFL. With all of that, Iowa had a 4th quarter lead, and probably would have held on if not for...
  • Iowa was 0/2 on two-point conversions in a game they lost by 2
  • the first two offensive holding penalties of the game being called within a 3 play span on Iowa's last drive (turning 2nd and 8 into 1st and 20, and then turning 3rd and 7 into 2nd and 24)
  • a 31 yard punt setting up Purdue at the 50 for their game-winning drive (those hidden penalty yards didn't help, moving Iowa from at one point a 2nd and 8 from the 30 to a 4th and 19 at the 19)
  • A Blough 4th down conversion run on the winning drive (4th and 2)
  • A PI call on Brents after Iowa had forced Purdue into 2nd and 18 from the 31
Yes, Moss got roasted a few times in that game, but there was plenty of blame to go around.

I don't get the Moss hate some have. He got burned a few times as a true freshman, but he was always in position (just didn't get head/hands around). He is probably the fastest guy in the DB room. He has good size. He played well last year after coming back from a pretty bad injury. And the coaches definitely seem to trust him the most out of the younger guys.

Let's also not forget that Purdue WRs got away with a healthy dose of "push-offs" that weren't called..for whatever reason.

Last edited:
With the amount of secondary players that have either transferred or left with eligibility It makes me think back to the game at OSU in 2013 where I was sitting behind the Iowa team and listening to Phil screaming profanities at his players. I'm going to speculate Phil isn't exactly a players coach.

Funny though that Desmond King and a host of others come back and fully support Hawks and Phil Parker.

Moss didn't cost us the win. He and Brents were both getting roasted as true freshmen by a pass-happy, all-verts offense. It is not like Phil wanted them in there, we were down our 2 starting CBs to injury (OJ and Hankins), Rugamba had just transferred before the year, and J. Jackson had left early for NFL. With all of that, Iowa had a 4th quarter lead, and probably would have held on if not for...
  • the first two offensive holding penalties of the game being called within a 3 play span on Iowa's last drive (turning 2nd and 8 into 1st and 20, and then turning 3rd and 7 into 2nd and 24)
  • a 31 yard punt setting up Purdue at the 50 for their game-winning drive (those hidden penalty yards didn't help, moving Iowa from at one point a 2nd and 8 from the 30 to a 4th and 19 at the 19)
Yes, Moss got roasted a few times in that game, but there was plenty of blame to go around.

I don't get the Moss hate some have. He got burned a few times as a true freshman, but he was always in position (just didn't get head/hands around). He is probably the fastest guy in the DB room. He has good size. He played well last year after coming back from a pretty bad injury. And the coaches definitely seem to trust him the most out of the younger guys.

Brents gave up one touchdown pass and was benched for Moss. Moss wound up giving up 3 TD passes, including ones of 40+ and 80+ yards. I said in my most post that Parker is more to blame for that game than Moss, considering he allowed Purdue to put Moss on an island, and that is what costed Iowa the game.
IMO, Brents starting opposite Hankins is a no brainer. Not only has he looked better than Moss in games but he's 6'3 and has a much higher ceiling.

^ This

Completely agree. Moss did struggle, but some credit has to go to Purdue. Some of those passes were absolute dimes, and Moss generally had good position. He just needs to learn to keep his composure and play the ball. That will come with time.

The penalties and that punt were absolute killers in that game.

Brents gave up one touchdown pass and was benched for Moss. Moss wound up giving up 3 TD passes, including ones of 40+ and 80+ yards. I said in my most post that Parker is more to blame for that game than Moss, considering he allowed Purdue to put Moss on an island, and that is what costed Iowa the game.
IMO, Brents starting opposite Hankins is a no brainer. Not only has he looked better than Moss in games but he's 6'3 and has a much higher ceiling.

Hankins did not play vs. Purdue per his bio. According to OJ's bio, he played but did not record a stat. It is my recollection that Moss and Brents were both playing most of the game due to injury.

From the highlights, Brents gave up the first TD (got turned around, was no where close to the play).

Their 2nd TD was set up by a deep cross to TE that went for 50 yards, Stone fell down on the play. Not sure who was mainly at fault; it seem Hockaday didn't do a good job of getting under it, and Stone widened too much and then fell.

Their 3rd TD was over Moss. He was in good position, but then got shoved in the back just as he was starting his jump to make a play on the ball.

Their 4th TD was their first offensive play of the 2nd half, and Moss got flat burned for an 80 yarder.

Their 5th TD was a slant/flat combo at the goal-line. Moss seemed to hesitate as he thought they might combo the route (the sort of mistake a tr freshman is likely to make).

Brents committed the PI that set up the game-winning FG.

Hard to tell for sure from the highlights, but it looked like Brents was in there for most of the snaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts