Divisions setup nicely for ND invite

NC & Duke love the ACC and all the basketball tradition that goes with it, they ain't going anywhere. Plus the Big Ten wouldn't want to water down the football side of this.

ND starts playing BYU and Texas in 2015. Once they get to 4 teams in 2015, i think we can officially rule them out, unless they have a backout clause.

I don't think ND is going to join the B10, but having games scheduled well into advanced will have nothing to do with it. When you're discussing the kind of money that the B10 and ND could potentially make by joining the B10, a million or two to buy your way out of a cpl games is not going to stand in the way.

Maryland is a great pick, too, but less exciting as our protected rival than the possibilities if Missouri were admitted

but I've no interest in any "city" schools ... Pitt, Cincy, Syracuse, BC

Last edited:
I don't think ND is going to join the B10, but having games scheduled well into advanced will have nothing to do with it. When you're discussing the kind of money that the B10 and ND could potentially make by joining the B10, a million or two to buy your way out of a cpl games is not going to stand in the way.

Good point, i won't completely rule them out unless there is some ungodly buyout attached.

I doubt the Big10 expansion was all about adding Nebraska. The end goal is bigger than that. With the success of BYU going independent and with Texas heading down the same road, it looks doubtful that ND will join. A more likely scenario will be to add Rutgers and Maryland and then Wisconsin and Illinois get rotated back into the west to even the divisions. It really looks like Wisconsin took it pretty bad in this division split, unless they know that a couple more eastern teams are coming and they expect to get moved when that happens.

I doubt the Big10 expansion was all about adding Nebraska. The end goal is bigger than that. With the success of BYU going independent and with Texas heading down the same road, it looks doubtful that ND will join. A more likely scenario will be to add Rutgers and Maryland and then Wisconsin and Illinois get rotated back into the west to even the divisions. It really looks like Wisconsin took it pretty bad in this division split, unless they know that a couple more eastern teams are coming and they expect to get moved when that happens.

Good point that Wisconsin might of been promised a possible return to the West, but Rutgers and Maryland just seem like filler teams to me. Like say if we added ND we fill with rutgers or like a Texas we fill to have even number of teams with Maryland. I just don't think BIg Ten schools are going to jump to not play each other even less, just to gain Rutgers and Marylands TV market. Would you be happy to see Rutgers and Maryland on the schedule rather then a Penn State and ILlinois??? I just don't see how that excites anyone.

What if we went and got Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech? (I know VT is not AAU)

then we give ND one last chance, and if they pass we get Rutgers

How about Missouri (Wisconsin moves back west) and Kentucky, West Virginia and Syracuse? All of the states are contiguous. Basketball is substantially enhanced. New TV markets. All are college towns. Might dilute the East some, but would make the most sense from economics (not sure about the academics, but probably not way off). Has the feel of a strong Midwest and Mideast conference.

No matter what the Big Ten does it will think it out and evaluate the Nebraska entry and new divisions before doing anything.