Division trophy names

HawkfaninWA

I've heard several tweets and emails suggesting that they be named the Schembecler and Hayes trophies. Or that the divisions be named Bo and Woody. I understand that Michigan and OSU have a lot of tradition in our conference, but NO WAY! The Big Ten is more than two teams or two coaches.

I'm fine with an East and West Division. As for trophy names . . . what say you?

I don't remember who but someone said this long ago.

Division X: Black and Decker
Division O: Barasol

that would just be awesome and manly right?

Other then East and West, the one similiarity I could possibly see that they could call the divisions is Rivers and Great Lakes.

Great Lakes
Ohio state-Erie
Penn State-Erie
Wisconsin-Supieror and huron
Indiana-Michigan
Illinois-Michigan
Purdue-Micigan

Rivers
Iowa-Mississippi-Missouri
Nebreska-Missouri
NW-Mississippi
Minnesota-Mississippi
mich-????
mich st-????

Grand River goes threw Lansing,Michigan
Is there a big River in Michigan? Can't think one off the top of my head and they touch 3 Great Lakes so that's one flaw in that argument.

Last edited:
Durp, eveyone knows what their going to be:

East, the Ro-Tel Eastern championship Trophy

West. The Velveeta Western Championship trophy

Championship title: The Ro-tel Velveeta Queso Big ten championship trophy.

Combining forces of Rotel and Velveeta! Are you kidding me? This is gonna be of the chain!

Other then East and West, the one similiarity I could possibly see that they could call the divisions is Rivers and Great Lakes.

Great Lakes
Ohio state-Erie
Penn State-Erie
Indiana-Michigan
Illinois-Michigan
Purdue-Micigan

Rivers
Nebreska-Missouri
NW-Mississippi
Minnesota-Mississippi
mich-????
mich st-????

Dude...Wisconsin- Huron?

And yes, Michigan being more surrounded by the Great Lakes than any other state...this split wouldn't make sense.

Great Lakes
Ohio state-Erie
Penn State-Erie
Indiana-Michigan
Illinois-Michigan
Purdue-Micigan

Rivers
Nebreska-Missouri
NW-Mississippi
Minnesota-Mississippi
mich-????
mich st-????

Dude...Wisconsin- Huron?

And yes, Michigan being more surrounded by the Great Lakes than any other state...this split wouldn't make sense.

Sorry wisconsin-superier and michigan

Durp, eveyone knows what their going to be:

East, the Ro-Tel Eastern championship Trophy

West. The Velveeta Western Championship trophy

Championship title: The Ro-tel Velveeta Queso Big ten championship trophy.

The tradition would be that the winning teams would have the Ro-tel Velveeta Queso in the trophies and then Tostitos would be a sponsor as well so that the players and coaches could have a munch after the game (you know they'd be hungry!)

Whitup:

Seeing that Michigan is actually called the Great Lakes State, might be a little problematic.

Cue the cat.

Whitup:

Seeing that Michigan is actually called the Great Lakes State, might be a little problematic.

Cue the cat.

Yeah I pointed that out myself, but just brainstorming on possible names other then e/w. Haven't heard anything better yet though, feel free to suggest

I say sell the naming rights. We have gotten over the idea this is about anything but money. So lets just whore the whole thing out.

Verizon and Apple
Prudential and Target

I dont care what it is as long as we are raking in huge dough and using the money to make outlandish expansions to our stadiums, weightrooms, locker rooms and anything else that can be made to look like a Gold Plated Arabian Princes palace.

Looking at a map, the divisions look more like North and South, than East and West. With the exception of Madison.

I don't like those names, though. And I also don't like the Bo and Woody suggestions.

I'm inclined to name them the Yost and Stagg division. I'm not as fervent about Yost. The U of Chicago was instrumental in formation and in the history of the Big Ten. They still are a member of the CIC and just feel it is deserving to somehow recognize what Stagg and the UC contributed.

Heartland Division:
Michigan
MSU
Nebby
Iowa
NU
Minny

Rust Belt, or Grindstone:
OSU
PSU
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Wisky

Heartland: The common name used for the whole midwest or more specifically the Western Region of the Midwest.

Rust Belt: The common name for the manufacturing belt of the midwest including Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin.

However, if you don't want to have an issue with the whole Michigan being a part of the Rust Belt, you could go:

Grindstone: Play on the phrase, "Keep your nose to the grindstone." But a grindstone is a tool used to sharpen, and a type of millstone used to grind grains, which would get at both the rust belt and grain belt regions in that conference.

The hope would then be that you could sell the naming rights for each trophy.

I would like to see US Steel take up one trophy and John Deere take up the other.

Last edited:
It is going to be company names. They haven't said what the divisions are yet because they are selling the names to the highest bidder. If it was just East/West they would have said that already.

It is going to be company names. They haven't said what the divisions are yet because they are selling the names to the highest bidder. If it was just East/West they would have said that already.

Yep: Heartland Division Championship Trophy - John Deere Trophy

Grindstone Division Championship Trophy - US Steel Trophy

Latest posts