Disturbing stat from NIU game

I

Ian Pike Hammer

I see we gave up 20 offensive rebounds to the Huskies. That ain't gonna cut it vs Gonzaga! That is the kind of single stat that can bring about a loss as I'm pretty sure the #1 team in the land can take advantage of that to score. Every one of NIU's starters had at least 1 offensive reb. Hopefully, our subs gave up the rest, but even that is a bad sign. Gotta clean that up if we are to beat the Zags.

I’m not disturbed by that because NIU was a HORRIBLE shooting team, they had 46 opportunities to get an offensive rebound. Iowa only missed 32 shot and still got 15 offensive rebound.

Having said that if they do give the Zags a ton of 2nd chances it will be a struggle.

I’m not disturbed by that because NIU was a HORRIBLE shooting team, they had 46 opportunities to get an offensive rebound. Iowa only missed 32 shot and still got 15 offensive rebound.

Having said that if they do give the Zags a ton of 2nd chances it will be a struggle.

No this has been an issue so far this year.

From watching every game I see a lot of standing around under the basket instead of boxing out and creating space for a rebound. We have played some very bad teams so far and its easier to get away with that.

If you saw the beginning of the North Carolina game, the Hawks came out like gang busters on the boards. You could easily see they practiced for that. Unfortunately that effort lasted for only so long and they returned to standing around looking up at the basket.

They are going to need that extra effort on the boards. Fran needs to instill major discipline on boxing out.

Last edited:
Iowa beat this team 100 something to 50 something. Our reserves got extended minutes. Gleaning too much off these can be difficult because of said extended minutes. Obviously, Iowa is not perfect, but they are destroying their competition so far. When every team you play is inferior, sometimes ya give some things up to them and you’re fine with it. When they start losing games or a trend such as boxing out and rebounding cost us something, I’ll complain or worry, but until, I’m not too concerned.

If this sort of thing was going to matter it woulda been a factor against UNC. To me the defensive end we aren't going to be all that great at we just aren't. So focus on what we are good at. Scoring. Keep putting up 95 plus pts and none of that will matter. It's just tough for other teams to keep up what we can do at that end.

I bet half the offensive rebounds were 15' out from errant 3 point launches- boxing out doesn't help much when the rebound is sailing over their heads.....

No this has been an issue so far this year.

From watching every game I see a lot of standing around under the basket instead of boxing out and creating space for a rebound. We have played some very bad teams so far and its easier to get away with that.

If you saw the beginning of the North Carolina game, the Hawks came out like gang busters on the boards. You could easily see they practiced for that. Unfortunately that effort lasted for only so long and they returned to standing around looking up at the basket.

They are going to need that extra effort on the boards. Fran needs to instill major discipline on boxing out.
To me it doesn't stand out as much as the perimeter defense, which leads to a lot of offensive rebounds because the other team is launching a lot of 3's. But even if it is our biggest concern all I'm saying is that THIS isn't the game to be worried about, a game where none of the starters played more than 20 minutes and they won by 53 points.

I see we gave up 20 offensive rebounds to the Huskies. That ain't gonna cut it vs Gonzaga! That is the kind of single stat that can bring about a loss as I'm pretty sure the #1 team in the land can take advantage of that to score. Every one of NIU's starters had at least 1 offensive reb. Hopefully, our subs gave up the rest, but even that is a bad sign. Gotta clean that up if we are to beat the Zags.
Offensive rebounds are not a statistically significant figure when determining wins or losses - I wouldn't worry about it. Teams that get a lot of offensive boards often times miss a lot of shots, which is what happened here.

Offensive rebounds are not a statistically significant figure when determining wins or losses - I wouldn't worry about it. Teams that get a lot of offensive boards often times miss a lot of shots, which is what happened here.

Agreed I think 2nd chance points are much more important. Giving up offensive boards won't, by itself, kill you if it leads to 2-3 more clanked shots during a possession, but it will sting if they start taking advantage of those 2nd chances.

Agreed I think 2nd chance points are much more important. Giving up offensive boards won't, by itself, kill you if it leads to 2-3 more clanked shots during a possession, but it will sting if they start taking advantage of those 2nd chances.

Yeah but that is the point though. It leads to second chance points when we could prevent that. It doesn't matter much when we play bad teams but with better teams like Gonzaga it can make a big difference.

Last edited:
Yeah but that is the point though. It leads to second chance points when we could prevent that. It doesn't matter much when we play bad teams but with better teams like Gonzaga it can make a big difference.

Maybe it's just me because I was never a scorer and loved playing defense and rebounding simply because it really came down to effort and out hustling your opponent, but I've never understood why so many teams struggle with this.

Most of Iowa's team is already sprinting down the court towards our basket. Very seldom do we have more than 1 or 2 rebounder working to prevent offensive rebounds. That is coached I believe.

Most of Iowa's team is already sprinting down the court towards our basket. Very seldom do we have more than 1 or 2 rebounder working to prevent offensive rebounds. That is coached I believe.

I believe this to be untrue.

Last edited:
Iowa boxed out so well on some possessions against NC that the ball bounced once or twice before an Iowa player grabbed the rebound. My wife and I were impressed...reminded us of rebounding drills in HS.

Iowa boxed out so well on some possessions against NC that the ball bounced once or twice before an Iowa player grabbed the rebound. My wife and I were impressed...reminded us of rebounding drills in HS.
The flipside would be against NIU.

The flipside would be against NIU.
It’s difficult to be totally focused every single game. If NIU were a decent team it would have been considered a trap game...after NC and ISU and before Gonzaga. Fortunately our trap game was against a team that couldn’t beat us on their best night IMO.