Disappointed in the Defense

HaydenHawk56

Yes again the offense was not good enough, but the defense giving up that first touchdown I think set the tone. Iowa could not afford to get far behind in this game and ended up being down 3 scores at one point.

Like downgrading a hurricane going over land......Iowa defense went from Cat 4 to Cat 3 or strong 2. Iowa offense remains a tropical depression.

Yes again the offense was not good enough, but the defense giving up that first touchdown I think set the tone. Iowa could not afford to get far behind in this game and ended up being down 3 scores at one point.

Like downgrading a hurricane going over land......Iowa defense went from Cat 4 to Cat 3 or strong 2. Iowa offense remains a tropical depression.
But with injuries to Jacobs, Roberts, I think Benson, you had to think we might not be as good today

the way to beat iowa is to run the football.. we mostly play a base zone defense.

Teams (besides purdue) play into our favor when they try to throw the ball alot.

If our offense sustains a few drives, gets a few more first downs, and gets any points in the first half.... defensive performance looks a lot better.

Even with giving up that first drive, and yes too many rushing yards in the game. Defense did more than solid against what likelyis a very good offense that will score 40/game. Only giving up 327 yards and one of the tds in a desperate situation having to all out gamble.

Get ANY points in the first half and a TD at the 6 min mark from the 5, in the 4th....

Issue is still offense, by a mile.

Its unreasonable to expect the defense to hold good teams to under 20 points, have to score defensive pounts, while being on the field constantly and without breaks.... to win games.

We have a very good defense. But not so elite as to make up for this poor of offense.

Screenshot_20221001-154317_Chrome.jpg

I want to check on how many yards M had in the 1st half, and then what they gained in the second. Our rush yardage stat went down 31 yards with sacks. Did we have any negative running plays today?

How many times do you expect the defense to shoulder 90% of the load. Don’t blame the defense, tell the goddamn lineman to block and Stanley to get the hell out of the pocket when it collapses and look at more than one receiver. Jesus.

How many times do you expect the defense to shoulder 90% of the load. Don’t blame the defense, tell the goddamn lineman to block and Stanley to get the hell out of the pocket when it collapses and look at more than one receiver. Jesus.
This is absolutely correct. We are a .500 team at best with this worst in the nation offense. It is really hard to watch.

before the game the Fox crew talked about all of Iowa’s athletes on defense. But where are the athletes on offense? Why not play Nwampa and DeJean on OFFENSE? Why not play a mobile QB? I do not get it. How could it be worse with younger players, particularly at QB?

I want to check on how many yards M had in the 1st half, and then what they gained in the second. Our rush yardage stat went down 31 yards with sacks. Did we have any negative running plays today?
Total yardage at halftime was Michigan 236, Iowa 90.

I can't find a way to lay this on the defense
Generally agree: with 5 min remaining in the game, Big Blue had only 300 total yds.
That said, Parker needs to start dealing up some different looks at the beginning of games to disrupt opponents' tempo. Playing a soft zone and forcing an undersized DLine to go up against 5 really good OLinemen just made it too easy at the start of the game for the Wolverines. I know he likes to wait until the 2nd half to throw wrinkles at teams, but he doesn't have that luxury this year.
I will simply add for folks watching on TV today, that Petras was missing open receivers all over the field -- in addition to the 3 consecutive stinkers on the 2nd drive of the game when in Michigan territory.

lol, Stanley

Offense is the problem, but the defensive was not good enough today either. They gave up a touchdown on the first Michigan drive.....it was not like they were gassed.

We needed an A+ out of our Defense and we probably got a B- at best.

Defense is still definitively better than the shitty offense, but the defense needed to be Elite and they were just good today.

Last edited:
Offense is the problem, but the defensive was not good enough today either. They gave up a touchdown on the first Michigan drive.....it was not like they were gassed.

We needed an A+ out of our Defense and we probably got a B- at best.
Our defense is good, but our DL was overpowered by the Mich OL. Football is still about winning the LoS. Michigan won the LoS on both offense and defense.

Our defense is good, but our DL was overpowered by the Mich OL. Football is still about winning the LoS. Michigan won the LoS on both offense and defense.
They sure did. I also thought Jim called a good game....they mixed things up well and to their credit they did not turn the ball over.

The defense did what the defense does. Bend but don't break. 2 TD's and 2 FG's. 20 points against the 4th ranked team (other than the garbage TD when we would we would've normally punted from our own 28). They gave up 91 yards in the 2nd half. They gave up 1 play over 20 yards.

The amazing thing is that they did this against an OL that was working our DL over in the run and pass. They had to send extra guys and leave our DB's to cover more ground in zone and hold their coverage in man. Despite all of this, they held the #2 scoring offense in the nation to 20 points--30 below their average. 99 passing yards below their average and 62 rushing yards below their average.

The defense did what the defense does. Bend but don't break. 2 TD's and 2 FG's. 20 points against the 4th ranked team (other than the garbage TD when we would we would've normally punted from our own 28). They gave up 91 yards in the 2nd half. They gave up 1 play over 20 yards.

The amazing thing is that they did this against an OL that was working our DL over in the run and pass. They had to send extra guys and leave our DB's to cover more ground in zone and hold their coverage in man. Despite all of this, they held the #2 scoring offense in the nation to 20 points--30 below their average. 99 passing yards below their average and 62 rushing yards below their average.
Actually really good points to. It would still be enough to win the game if Iowa's offense was average.