Dienhart: Iowa is the Team to Beat in the West Division

saw this on Hawkcentral and found it interesting regarding lack of credible pass rush ^

Alabama ranked 86th nationally last season, with 22 sacks in 13 games. Iowa tied for 77th, with 24 sacks in 13 games. The Crimson Tide were fourth in scoring defense and fifth in total defense. It’s not all about sacks.

“It’s more about passing and disruption in the passing game,” said Ferentz, whose team ranked ninth nationally in scoring defense and sixth in total defense last season. “But that’s one (sacks) that tends to get overplayed, a generality that people get hung up on. And it doesn’t tell the whole story.”

The offense will improve from below average to average - and we'll be thrilled. Rudock has a lot going for him but he still throws the ball late in the route, his release is slow and he lacks the strength to throw it deep. Therefore we won't see as many big plays as we'd like to think.

The defense will be about the same - again without a credible pass rush.

In the end this team will fall short of what prognosticators say and be an 8-4 team.

The good thing about underclassmen is that they become upperclassmen eventually. That's what you have on our DL now. I'd say the second half of the year we put a ton of pressure on the QB...mostly thanks to the Raider package, but also due to the fact that Carl Davis and LTP were occupying a few people. Why do you think our LB's ran so freely to the QB so often, especially against Nebraska. Ott is now a JR...and he's had time to mature...and I think he makes a leap.

So Rudock one of the best first year campaigns in school history and that's the credit you give him. Also factor in he played hurt for the last 4-5 games. Prior to the injuries, he made a ton of plays with his feet (see Minnesota) and was a different QB. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people as the year of experience, and extra spring and fall camps are going to make him that much better.

What did you predict last year...I'm thinking 4-8 or 5-7 right? So, taking your miss rate into account, your 8-4 is actually 10-2. I now agree with you.

A lot of focus on the inexperienced linebackers, and there should be. However, if they are good learners, they will not be inexperienced for very long. I am not saying we will be undefeated going into the final two games against Wisconsin and Nebraska, but certainly at that point we will no longer suffer from inexperience at the linebacker positions. I would believe that they will have plenty of time in the early season to mature; UNI, ISU, Ball St., and Pitt will be very good and well spaced opportunities for them to get their feet wet. We'll be fine. One other thought: I still see posters arguing that we were not that good on defense last year. If you look at our national rankings, you just cannot argue they were anything but very good. Yes, we had a couple of weaknesses...but, what defense does not have weak spots. Iowa will be a very, very good defense this year when the smoke clears.

I like Jake, he does a lot of good things out there. But the criticism is earned. He throws the ball late, the release isn't quick and the underthrows the deep ball.

Appreciate the post above drawing distinction between sacks and scoring D (Alabama). good to remember those things and yes the raider package (what ever we call it) was extremely effective last year.

Iowa is getting a lot of penetration, showing color, and forcing early throws. The pass rush was fine last year, which most fans can't see.

I like Jake, he does a lot of good things out there. But the criticism is earned. He throws the ball late, the release isn't quick and the underthrows the deep ball.

Appreciate the post above drawing distinction between sacks and scoring D (Alabama). good to remember those things and yes the raider package (what ever we call it) was extremely effective last year.

I like CJ a lot...but, reading Shimoneks exit interview about how difficult this offense is to learn resonated with me. Vandy and the receivers were not on the same page in 2012, probably due to this complexity.
I am not huge fan of Jake's arm, but decision-making is the single most important thing for a QB in this system.
He seems to have a good handle on that. I think the receivers also needed to process much more on the move than in the past and so Vandy and the receivers were not on the same page.
That had to lead to slower releases by Jake last year also...these receivers have to make the read and break the right way, while Jake has to hope he is reading the same ...lots going on there.

I expect Jake and the receivers to be improved this year in this phase. If not, then I say time to go to a simpler system.
I just hope that CJ gets significant time under QB early in the season where he can learn all the plays, in action.

Jake needs to be a college version of Peyton Manning where arm is not as important as the reads.

All you can say is that is all in front of them, Kirk and crew control their own destiny. 8 games in and there are no more excuses, just win baby.

Latest posts