Dienhart: Iowa builds season to remember

"When we look back, we'll all remember this season and these seniors as the turning point in Ferentz 3.0. They could have laid down and died (like some posters here were hoping), but showed grit and resiliance and determination to right the ship and get us pointed back in the right direction..."Nowhere, in any of that, is a suggestion that this has been a great season. He said this year's seniors, instead of rolling over and dying, have managed to get things pointed in the right direction again. 1. If you couldn't glean that from a pretty well spelled-out post, you're either a troll or suck massively at reading comprehension.2. If you can't see that his point is valid, then you really are clueless.
The point is far from valid, dingleberry. It is an assumption at this point that the program is turning around. People have said that after every single win for the last 3 years. Iowa is on track for a 7-5 regular season, trip to Phoenix, and possibility of a 7-6 final record. This is EXACTLY where the program has been for the last 4 years with the exception of a few more close losses last year. Right on the precipice of mediocrity.

The point is far from valid, dingleberry. It is an assumption at this point that the program is turning around. People have said that after every single win for the last 3 years. Iowa is on track for a 7-5 regular season, trip to Phoenix, and possibility of a 7-6 final record. This is EXACTLY where the program has been for the last 4 years with the exception of a few more close losses last year. Right on the precipice of mediocrity.

Who are these people? I'd sure like to meet even one of these people who were saying anything approaching this last year. And, by the way, "on track for a 7-5 regular season"? Nice attitude, buster.

Or, they're on track for an 8-4 regular season with the possibility of a 9-4 final record. Both are very reasonable possibilities (even at Nebraska, the Huskers are a long ways from unbeatable this year). Is it an assumption that the program is turning around? Sure. But so is your assumption that Iowa will lose its next two games and finish 7-6. And neither is any more laughable than the other.

But looking strictly at the records would also be a mistake. Last year, Iowa was a couple bounces from being 6-6/7-5, like you said. Except those close losses were to Purdue, Iowa State, Indiana and Central ******* Michigan. They were completely dominated in losses to Northwestern, Michigan and Penn State.

This year, they haven't been blown out a single time and have hung with OSU, Wisconsin and MSU (I'm hardly satisfied with this, but it's a point of improvement; in other words, something pointing in the right direction). They've taken care of business against the teams they should beat, rather than stumbling (if you think THAT'S par for the course under Ferentz, you really haven't been paying attention).

Things are moving back in the right direction. If you don't want to admit that, that's a you problem.

People complaining just to complain. Barry Alvarez, Bill Snyder, and Pat Hill. There are three and I spent 2 minutes thinking about it.

You're saying I'm complaining? No, I'm not complaining.

I'm pretty sure Barry's program didn't reach 6-7 and 4-8 nadirs, then rallied for upper tier bowl games.

Snyder and Hill never did.

Gee, took me less than two minutes to think of that!

Last edited:
My favorite part of beating Michigan is how much it pi$$es off the Ferentz haters. Not really, but I am enjoying reading their pathetic responses to real Hawkeye fans posts.

You left out the part where they're also on track to possibly go 9-4...

Actually, Barry did have three rebuilding opportunities (Barry Alvarez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) with pre-1994 Rose Bowl, between the 1994 and 1998 Rose Bowls, and between the 1999 Rose Bowl and 2004 Outback Bowl (Wisconsin was 9-0 to start that season). His tenure actually looks pretty similar to Ferentz in many regards including two seasons where Wisconsin did not make bowl games and many seasons with only 7 or 8 wins. In fact, Ferentz has a slightly better career Big Ten record (63-55) than Barry Alvarez (65-60-3). I would actually consider their coaching tenures very comparable.

Pretty easy to fact check these kinds of things ....

You're saying I'm complaining? No, I'm not complaining.

I'm pretty sure Barry's program didn't reach 6-7 and 4-8 nadirs, then rallied for upper tier bowl games.

Snyder and Hill never did.

Gee, took me less than two minutes to think of that!

Actually, Barry did have three rebuilding opportunities (Barry Alvarez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) with pre-1994 Rose Bowl, between the 1994 and 1998 Rose Bowls, and between the 1999 Rose Bowl and 2004 Outback Bowl (Wisconsin was 9-0 to start that season). His tenure actually looks pretty similar to Ferentz in many regards including two seasons where Wisconsin did not make bowl games and many seasons with only 7 or 8 wins. In fact, Ferentz has a slightly better career Big Ten record (63-55) than Barry Alvarez (65-60-3). I would actually consider their coaching tenures very comparable.

Pretty easy to fact check these kinds of things ....

I agree with your research and I stand corrected.

1995 4-5-2
2001 5-7

He only had two sub .500 years after he built the program as has KF.
Good find...well done.

Still, the 3x is rarefied air.

I agree with your research and I stand corrected.

1995 4-5-2
2001 5-7

He only had two sub .500 years after he built the program as has KF.
Good find...well done.

Still, the 3x is rarefied air.

He still only had 7 or fewer wins in back to back seasons twice, if you include his first three seasons when he was in the process of building the program the first time (and that was the only time he failed to hit 8 wins for three straight seasons). Ferentz has done that three times, and he's failed to hit 8 wins in three straight years twice (with the chance for a third right now, but I don't think it will happen).

The bottom line is that, as you said, doing it three times in one tenure is pretty rare.

He still only had 7 or fewer wins in back to back seasons twice, if you include his first three seasons when he was in the process of building the program the first time (and that was the only time he failed to hit 8 wins for three straight seasons). Ferentz has done that three times, and he's failed to hit 8 wins in three straight years twice (with the chance for a third right now, but I don't think it will happen).

The bottom line is that, as you said, doing it three times in one tenure is pretty rare.

The mich win was the first close come from behind win in years. I can't remember the last one. This will increase expectations for next year. Looking at next year I would be disapointed with less than 10 wins looking at the schedule.

"Iowa builds season to remember"
Sounds like someone got caught up in the moment and made an overreach. Iowa is back to playing solid football. They are not giving up after mid-season. They win games after tough losses. Against a Michigan team that has struggled to eek out wins against the weakest challenges on their schedule.

Iowa is back on track. But there are the same ole cracks in the foundation. Nothing more.

Dear Tom Dienhart,
I'm pretty sure that this season is not the season for this sequel.

51wOqm1ICJL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

wow, all the butthurt fans after beating Michigan is unbelieveable. By some peoples definition I guess Hayden Fry was mediocre as well.

I could care less, Iowa just beat Michigan! Can we enjoy it?

wow, all the butthurt fans after beating Michigan is unbelieveable. By some peoples definition I guess Hayden Fry was mediocre as well.

I could care less, Iowa just beat Michigan! Can we enjoy it?

the reax after victories this year makes you think there is something in the water. and, yes, your comparison is correct - and actually Fry would be a bit less than mediocre in comparison. but i say neither were or are. i'm guessing some folks are tough to live with - especially if you were their dog.....

7-5 will be a "good" season...and the typical season under Ferentz (in many ways, including statistically)... but nothing special.

8-4 would be a really good season... but still nothing special, it's what this program should be producing on a fairly regular basis.

It will only be a "special" year if it proves to be the beginning of better things ahead. Meaning, we make a run at a couple of conference titles and reach the 9-10 win range again.

Bitter Iowa fans are hilarious. It would be like Tom Brady complaining about a speck sized mole he found on the underside of Giselle's foot. "God damnit Giselle I don't care about the big picture. You have got to take care of that freakin mole!"

No matter what they are determined to find something to ***** about.

7-5 will be a "good" season...and the typical season under Ferentz (in many ways, including statistically)... but nothing special.

8-4 would be a really good season... but still nothing special, it's what this program should be producing on a fairly regular basis.

It will only be a "special" year if it proves to be the beginning of better things ahead. Meaning, we make a run at a couple of conference titles and reach the 9-10 win range again.

I am going to move your scale just a little.

For this year 7-5 is a good season, it exceeded expectations and a big improvement over the previous season. But for me a 7-5 season is "ok", your still going to a bowl game but we still had to endure 5 weeks of losing, an 8 win season is a little better, and 9 wins gets me into a "good" season feeling. A season with 10 wins and above is a great season, especially if it ends with a bowl win.

Thanks for the compliment. I agree it is rarefied air to have 3 chances for rebuilding opportunities. I think that speaks to Ferentz's commitment to Iowa and the Iowa Brass's commitment to him.

I actually assumed Alvarez was a better coach until I started looking into the numbers. I was surprised how close Ferentz and Alvarez were during their overall tenure. However, it is interesting how Wisconsin reveres Alvarez for his accomplishments and yet there are a lot of Iowa fans calling for Ferentz's head at the moment. Then again there were rumblings (much smaller from what I remember) for a change at Wisconsin near the end of Alvarez's tenure.

Latest posts