Did we show our hand?

iowa works on the run game early on. that hasn't changed since Fry as he did the same thing. you can't get to 2 without getting to 1 first.

not that they are 'holding back', but like anything, they build with progression.

iowa works on the run game early on. that hasn't changed since Fry as he did the same thing. you can't get to 2 without getting to 1 first.

not that they are 'holding back', but like anything, they build with progression.

This reminds me of the Fry press conference where he went off about how these kids were young and they were learning. Our OL will get better.

They're putting in a new system. From what I gather the WR routes are more dependant on the positioning of the defender than in the past (TE routes may be less so). The QB and WR have to be on the same page for this to work. Vandenberg has a history of being tentative on the road, and WR's are for the most part young. Davis the only real experienced WR has yet to prove he can be the go to man. Pass blocking left a great deal to be desired. NIU had a decent pass rush and kept them coming all day. Throw in the fact the field conditions at Soldier Field are awful, the weather wasn't cooperative either. The bright spot in this is they didn't make any fatal mistakes with the passing game, no turnovers.

How much of this they can clean up between week 1 and week 2 is a good question. I expect the pass blocking to get cleaned up a lot, especially by the front five. Pass blocking for HB, FB, and TE will probably be more of a work in progress. The young WR's may come along slowly.

So much of this is a head game for Vandenberg that it is hard to say how well he will do in week two. He has a history of doing well at home, but this is a new offense. Unfortunately, Vandenberg seems to be a bit of a fair weather QB so pray for favorable weather.

Last edited:
We showed our hand. It just appears we weren't dealt much, we didn't fold and managed to stick around long enough to win.

I think it was a combination of execution and that field was in terrible shape as usual in soldier. It should be crisper alone on the field turf next week.

Waiting for it? It has been here since 2007.

Every time Iowa looks like **** in the first game, people claim it's because they had a vanilla game plan. Aside from 09', that Iowa team has usually sucked and in '09, that offense did suck.

Latest posts