Did tOSU get a 1st down in the 3rd quarter?

HawkeyeTech

I don't remember any. But then I was so busy hooting and hollering and drinking I might have missed one. Total domination on both sides of the ball after the first quarter.

I watched the game on " BTN Football in 60". The Buckeyes had no first downs in the 3rd. Incredible. That sealed the game.

I believe they had 5 total 1st downs in the 2nd half and 4 of those came on one drive early in the 4th qtr.

I watched the game on " BTN Football in 60". The Buckeyes had no first downs in the 3rd. Incredible. That sealed the game.

Hawks big picture defensive game plan was brilliantly executed!!

Against zone read run in the first half - always tackled the RB 1st - which forced Barrett to keep it. He did get yards and 1st downs, but he did get hit! and hit!.... watch the 3rd qtr runs by Barrett - definitely going the ground earlier.

No pass rush - yeah,OK - but QB contain - force Barrett to make reads, make him hold the ball longer (throws timing, receivers off, see how many balls your DT's can deflect or alter (at least 7 total) by playing the throwing lane.

Would be great to see a former Hawk introduce himself in an NFL game today as from "THE University of Iowa".

Against zone read run in the first half - always tackled the RB 1st - which forced Barrett to keep it. He did get yards and 1st downs, but he did get hit! and hit!.... watch the 3rd qtr runs by Barrett - definitely going the ground earlier.

No pass rush - yeah,OK - but QB contain - force Barrett to make reads, make him hold the ball longer (throws timing, receivers off, see how many balls your DT's can deflect or alter (at least 7 total) by playing the throwing lane.

Would be great to see a former Hawk introduce himself in an NFL game today as from "THE University of Iowa".
I believe the slow pass rush was by design in this game. Containment was priority. I agree with you teacher.

If you look at the replay, notice the play where Epenesa batted down the JT pass. It was text book scheming and excellent execution. He slid into the middle of the fray, didn't bull rush and instead, was watching JT. The moment JT passed, AJ jumped up and batted down the ball. Well done.

being aggressive on offense and putting points on the board allows our defense to excel. It forces the opponent to be one dimensional and then we only have half of their playbook to defend and we know which half. Its what we've been giving to our opponents for years.

There was talk before the year about how many balls our Dline was batting down, but then we hardly saw any once the season started. Lately we've seen a ton of them.

Latest posts