Did this team quietly go back to Old KF style FB?

GotTimDodge

Or is it my imagination?
Does nobody care since we are winning?
Lately the play feels like KF ball of old, and not the style that started the season.

Reason for concern?

We scored 40 points..over 500 yards...10-15 on third downs...which part of old kirk are you referring to? The one where the defense gets shredded because that was never old kirk....that was crappy parker. Give minnesota credit...they did their homework. Give our kids credit they fought hard. What was old kirk by the numbers last night?

Defense. Not ferentz (directly anyway).

This team is built to run it down your throat. They did just that. Defense makes a play or 3 and this game is a blow out.

No, we've never had this explosive of a run game. Old Kirk used it to control TOP and pace, now it's a weapon and he is using it. He used Weisman because he wanted a guaranteed 3 yards and didn't care if he had no shot to break one.

The offense never did change...we just have a QB who can throw or run and he's been hurt and the game plan for last night vs Minny's good CBs was to go to the TEs more.

Edit: Which makes it look more conservative, I should say.

Drew Ott - with him- new school.
No Drew - old school.
MN certainly had some slick passing plays for TD's.
We should copy thiem and then implement them.
Come on Kirk

Good points.
And with CJ not 100%, that limits things as well.
I dunno, just a feeling I guess.
Even against Indiana in the 2nd half last week.

Or is it my imagination?
Lately the play feels like KF ball of old, and not the style that started the season.

Reason for concern?

For the first time in history, the Hawks have scored 30+ points in four consecutive B1G games. The 506 yards last night is the most Minnesota has given up since 2011. Further, Iowa was ten for fifteen on third downs. Last, but not least, the Hawks have out scored the opposition 44-0 in the final two minutes of the first-half. If that is old Kirk, I'll take it.

The offense is scoring points because they're good. If it was Kirk's plan to sit back and let an average qb sit back and get into a rhythm, then Old Kirk is back. If it was Parker's plan, then New Kirk better have a talkin with him.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but I don't think Iowa has changed a whole lot, we just have guys out there making plays, more than before. That helps, yes?

But I'll say that Iowa continues to be more aggressive this year at the end of halves. Again, it helps to have guys that can make plays to make it feasible in that situation.

I thought at times that the play calling in the second half did feel a bit conservative at times (is that any different?) but then they broke out the trick play with T. Smith throwing that pass downfield in the 2nd half. So it seemed Iowa was still, overall, trying to score.

Third quarter has been pretty conservative on offense. Beathard being injured has a lot to do with it. Kirk has leaned on the run when he thinks he can. FOr the most part he has been right. It will probably work for the Purdue game, but becomes more problematic after that.

After that, keeping the defense off the field becomes much more important. Bend but don't break defense is going to get exposed against better quarterbacks. We have seen that already. They need to keep a good balance between run and pass, even when they have a decent lead. Defense needs to be more aggressive. It can't wait until the fourth quarter of the championship game. By than it will be too late for adjustments.

I will saying, going for two - was Old Kirk. Cautious.. playing not to lose mentality. Really, he thought it could come down to needing a 2pt conversion?

Or is it my imagination?

Reason for concern?
10-0. I don't care what you call Kirk, just keep winning.

I think the hawks have been re-imagined on offense with less outside zone stretch play being replaced with more pulling and trapping guards to go with the inside power zone run. The passing game seems to be more like 2008-11 going down the field more. The longer pass patterns seems to be more of a change for Greg Davis than KF.

But as others have said this team has a bunch of playmakers, receivers making great catches, moves to get YAC, the offensive line opening some large holes and really good running backs, but especially CJ on offense.

Defense we had Ott, but king and Jewell are playing great and the defense as a whole has been solid. Not sure if this is old KF but the defense tried to be pretty vanilla last nite and maybe more reactive than aggressive.

I can kind of see the argument. However we try to score at the end of the half. If we did that in the past Kirk has a few more wins and by few I mean at least 10.

Latest posts