Did Last Nights Game Change Your Mind?

Not really. We shot <30% from the field and played with no effort in the 2nd half against the top team in the B12. It’s November. If our guards look this bad in January then we have a serious problem. Can’t get too up or down right now.

I had Texas as a loss. That said I didn't expect to be facing Syracuse tonight so 2-2 was not the start I had envisioned.
After the first half I did not expect the total breakdown in the 2nd half. This team has no leaders, the players that should not shoot as much shoot too often and the ones that should be more active in the offense do not engage. Feel sorry for those that live and die with how the team does because this is going to be a rough season.

Our guards looked terrible. PG position is not good. And our best player doesn't like to take open shots. All around we looked bad. Even up 10 in the first half I was frustrated. I didn't know what to expect or what to expect at this point. Gut feeling says we struggle to make noise and get in to the dance. However, there is a long way to go and hope and pray they figure it out and improve.
Go Hawks!

Our guards looked terrible. PG position is not good. And our best player doesn't like to take open shots. All around we looked bad. Even up 10 in the first half I was frustrated. I didn't know what to expect or what to expect at this point. Gut feeling says we struggle to make noise and get in to the dance. However, there is a long way to go and hope and pray they figure it out and improve.
Go Hawks!
Agree, Iowa will be lucky to make the dance. There is more to being the best player than potential, on offense the best player is engaged in the game, agressive, looks for open shots or others that are open. I don't consider him to be our best player because he takes too much time off while still on the court for some reason? Sure he has show what he can do but when he does it or for how long is a mystery to the team and how does a team get any sort of chemistry with this going on. I truly hoped they would be better now that there is no "superstar" to take over but you need consistant guard play and a threat at the 3, 4, position. Who is going to show up tonight, JU, AW, both or neither??

We won't make the dance with these guards. I see 16 wins.

Look at it this way: Iowa's backcourt can't possibly play any worse than they did last night and Iowa still only lost by 14 to a top ten team. The guard play has to improve, for sure, but I'm not ready to push the panic button just yet.

Where Iowa was strong, Texas was stronger and more physical. When Iowa had one fast guy on the floor, Texas had two. There aren't many teams that will be able to match up with Texas.

Lets see what happens today. We should learn a lot about this team today. Tx is a pretty good team. The crowd today should be hostile. If we can pull this out I will feel much better

Its gonna be a long year. 16-18 wins max. The guards aren't B1G caliber. They may show signs from time to time but its fools gold. AC and MG are in the 3rd year of the program and have shown very little improvement.

If our 5 guards each make 1 more of the open shots they shoot it would have still been a bad shooting night for the group and it would have been anyone's game at the end. Today we either would have been talking about beating a top 10 team or hanging with a top 10 team on a night where our guards didn't shoot very well.

We rebounded with one of the biggest front courts in the nation. We played defense almost as good as them (better for some stretches and worse for others). We pretty much got open shots as easily as them. The only difference is they made more open shots than we did.

There is only one thing I'm worried about this year and that's Gesell.

The more I see of other big ten teams, the less confident I become that the Hawks can achieve a 9-9 record needed to get on the bubble. We are going to lose to UNC ...and probably ISU...and maybe UNI.

That leaves the Hawks with a tiny margin of error in the Big Ten season.
Our first 9 games in the Big Ten are brutal...we could go 2-7 and be buried.

Even IU beat #23 SMU last nite....with frosh 4 star guard Blackmon scoring 26 pts 7 rbs and 4 of 5 from the arc. The kid is 12 of 18 from the arc so far this season....we could use someone like that.

NW got a last second shot from Demps to tie North Florida, and won in OT. Their frosh guard, McIntosh( Iowa recruited him also) had 16 pts, 5 assists. NW shoots better than Iowa.

PSU rallied to take Charlotte to OT, with John Johnson hitting a 3 pter to tie it at the end of regulation.
Newbill can shoot it also...PSU shoots it better than Iowa.

Iowa plays OSU twice, Neb, MSU, Michigan, Wis, at PU in the first 9 games....ouch.

So, yes, I am downgrading my expectations a bit, as I had not seen the Hawks live until last nite.
I had them at 10-3 in the non-league and 9-9 in league to go 19-12 and on the bubble....we do need to win today, and Cuse is vulnerable...if we lose this one, I could see us ending up at 16-17 wins, tops.

Last night did not change my opinion on this team...

I still believe if everyone on the team would grow beards this team would be top 5 in pure awesome...that includes coaching staff.

I'm not about doom and gloom as I was worried about Texas going into the game. The biggest thing I took away from last night was the difference in athleticism between the two teams. While we've come a long way in the last few years I think last night served as a reminder of how far we still have to go to be a top 10 team. Doesn't change my perception at all about this team, as I still think they'll have a good season, but as soon as the game started I immediately thought athleticism and the length of their defenders would be an issue.

You can't lose the experience we did last year and expect a stronger team to come out at the beginning of the season. That's what the pre-conference schedule is about. Work on areas that need improvement and hopefully have your players playing at peak ability as you go into conference.

The best players will show themselves as we approach the B1G conference. I am sure the guard play will improve as each one of them learns their role on the team. I expect Dickerson to learn how to play within himself more and I hope the other guards can find their groove. You know it's easier to make those shots fall when you are up by twenty points and you are more relaxed knowing if you miss the shot it's no biggee. It's another to make them when you are down to a top ten team and you know if you miss they may start to pull away.

Now having said that there are some concerns I have had but never expressed before.
I have read the words "Fran's System" on here several times. I've never liked that term and I really hope we are not a "system" team. When players try to play in a "system" instead of playing to their own personal abilities and skills then those skills are not being utilized to their fullest.

I just wanted to puke watching a system that we are all familiar with know as the "butler way". I am not comparing Fran ball to that but just using it as an example of what a failure a "system" can be. To me system equals gimmick for teams who lack the talent to go head to head against more talented teams. We don't want to go down that road again.

I really see no signs of a "system" under Fran, however I do see a philosophy. To me it's one of trying to wear a more talented team down to level the playing field in the second half. This only works if you can keep it close going late into the second half. It's possible that by the time we got into the second half of conference play last year that our opponents had become conditioned to go the distance this taking away some of the affectiveness of Fran's philosophy.

I hope going forward that recruiting can improve for Fran to the point that we can change some of this philosophy because we will have the horses to match straight up with the top teams in the country and in the B1G.

Its gonna be a long year. 16-18 wins max. The guards aren't B1G caliber. They may show signs from time to time but its fools gold. AC and MG are in the 3rd year of the program and have shown very little improvement.

agree. not only are the guards slow, they don't shoot well or handle the ball well. We may beat the lower 100 this year, but the top 100 we will struggle mightily i fear. i think the 16-18 wins may not be far off.

last nights game didn't change my mind but tonight sure did.

We could not have worse guards. they are awful right now and i haven't seen anything in the last 3 years to think there is much hope in that regard. We actually have one of the better front courts in a number of years, but our horrible guard play will be the undoing of this team. Yes, it is very early but tell me you think we can win with the guards we have. I don't see it.

After the first half I did not expect the total breakdown in the 2nd half. This team has no leaders, the players that should not shoot as much shoot too often and the ones that should be more active in the offense do not engage. Feel sorry for those that live and die with how the team does because this is going to be a rough season.

I don't mean to post this in hindisght but go back and look at the Texas thread... if Jon even still has it up.

I could tell we were in trouble. Texas was getting better quality looks as to Iowa scored from the free throw line and the 3 point line. Tough to sustain that type of scoring. It was only a matter of time.

Granted, I didn't anticipate quite as much as they did. But the dunk and 3 on back to back possessions early in the 2nd half pretty much set the tempo for how the half was going to go.

Latest posts