Did Iowa strike out with Powers and Estrella?

We more than likely stuck out with both of them. But the new offer only means we for sure struck out with one of them.

probably not going to win to many head to heads with NC and Duke. Estrella, NIL tipped his scale. Iowa needs to get in those waters more aggressively and I don't really put it to much on Fran as his hands are a bit tied in that regards. He's actually killing it despite that. Fran is the only reason either guy was even considering Iowa.

Last edited:
Gotta admit. The hype machine had me in on Estrella. Thought we had him.... I shoulda known better. My bad. Sounds like NIL $ won out with him. We'll know tomorrow for sure.

Anybody who does not conclude that promises of big $$ from NIL is not directly specified by recruiters, exists in a different universe. NIL is not evil; athletes need to be rewarded; people are evil; they need to be exposed and held accountable.

On this site, those who question NIL are accused of attacking players’ opportunities. Others claim those who question NIL are held in contempt and insulted as living in the past. Then some attack Iowa for failure to implement a “competitive” NIL.

Guess we are to join the liars and cheaters. No. We need to start over with a reasonable plan to help athletes. If not, we become complicit at best.

Anybody who does not conclude that promises of big $$ from NIL is not directly specified by recruiters, exists in a different universe. NIL is not evil; athletes need to be rewarded; people are evil; they need to be exposed and held accountable.

On this site, those who question NIL are accused of attacking players’ opportunities. Others claim those who question NIL are held in contempt and insulted as living in the past. Then some attack Iowa for failure to implement a “competitive” NIL.

Guess we are to join the liars and cheaters. No. We need to start over with a reasonable plan to help athletes. If not, we become complicit at best.
For sure. You either keep up with the Joneses or get left behind. That's what's up with all the TV contracts & conference realignment too. I was worried that Iowa would be slow to assimilate to the new world of NIL and how that's affecting things and I guess we can all just see for ourselves with the results....

Has Iowa offered a kid more $ and had it turned down for them to go somewhere else for less?? I doubt we'll ever read about that story...

Sounds like out-bid not necessarily out-recruited on this one. Have to feel for Fran & staff for all the effort & time put forth although I would guess they weren't blindsided. It's part of the game now..........have to figure something out or be prepared for more similar endings.

Seems to me the NIL will have more impact on BB program recruiting than FB if only due to roster size.

Pretty f’n standard. Every year is pretty much the same. Combine the Bball O and fball D.
4* 5th year senior and easy throws look like he has feet hands.
No it factor at all.
Ruddock scenario all over again.
do something different

College sports is nothing but a semi pro league now. Under the counter crap has always gone on, but NIL now legalized it. This is not Iowa, and if we don’t play the game, we will soon be on the outside looking in.