Did I see that right? The Jets may make the playoffs?

GodGodGodBathia

THE JETS?! Thank you, Indianapolis, for making a non-deserving team jump to the top of the race. This is the problem with throwing a game away...now the Denver Broncos (who probably deserve to be out anyway after starting 6-0 and collapsing) get stiffed. The wild card is a mess.

THE JETS?! Thank you, Indianapolis, for making a non-deserving team jump to the top of the race. This is the problem with throwing a game away...now the Denver Broncos (who probably deserve to be out anyway after starting 6-0 and collapsing) get stiffed. The wild card is a mess.

The Broncos have lost 7 out of their last 9 games including a game at home against the Raiders, and the Redskins. They don't deserve anything

The Broncos have lost 7 out of their last 9 games including a game at home against the Raiders, and the Redskins. They don't deserve anything

Who said they deserved anything?

But the point is they would still be in a better position if Indy didn't throw the game.

Whoever makes the playoffs deserves to be in. Whoever doesn't can look back and point to certain losses that determined their season. Simple as that.

It's not up to Indy to determine who makes the playoffs. They take care of themselves as all teams should. If Denver would have beat Oakland at home a couple of weeks back, they would be OK.

Jets and Ravens win and they are in the playoffs. My Steelers have to beat the Dolphins then have a bunch of teams lose. But, they made their own bed with consecutive loses to KC, Oakland, and Cleveland. They have no one to blame but themselves!

It doesn't matter who any of these teams lost to during the year. The bottom line is after 14 games a bunch of them were 7-7 and on basically equal standing - bad losses included. In the last two weeks the Jets will get GOOD teams that are playing primarily backups, while the Steelers, Raven, Dolphins and Denver are facing teams that are giving their best effort. There is very little room for error in the NFL, and this season demonstrated it. No team should get a bid because the last two weeks they beat backups. The Colts should be fined, and so should Cincy if they bench their starters this week.

Speaking of "bad" losses, the Jets I believe lost to Miami twice this year. A Miami team that was also 7-7 but had to face a hot Houston team and a hot Pittsburgh team. I bet they feel cheated, and they should.

It doesn't matter who any of these teams lost to during the year. The bottom line is after 14 games a bunch of them were 7-7 and on basically equal standing - bad losses included. In the last two weeks the Jets will get GOOD teams that are playing primarily backups, while the Steelers, Raven, Dolphins and Denver are facing teams that are giving their best effort. There is very little room for error in the NFL, and this season demonstrated it. No team should get a bid because the last two weeks they beat backups. The Colts should be fined, and so should Cincy if they bench their starters this week.

Speaking of "bad" losses, the Jets I believe lost to Miami twice this year. A Miami team that was also 7-7 but had to face a hot Houston team and a hot Pittsburgh team. I bet they feel cheated, and they should.

IRR the Colts fans want a refund lol

Indianapolis politician thinks Colts fans deserve a refund | ProFootballTalk.com

How do you determine who to fine? The teams who want to rest their players will just put them on the injury report and say they can't play. Carolina is playing their 2nd string QB and RB (due to injuries) and is killing teams (like the Vikings and Giants) that had something to play for. Carolina had nothing to play for and is winning. In pro sports, that's just the way it is. You can't legislate effort.

If you want to make the playoffs, you have to take care of your own business. It happens in baseball and basketball as well.

Basketball and baseball are entirely different. Both those sports have a large number of games, so resting players for a game or two isn't going to make a big difference in a season. Football, with only 16 games, is entirely different.

Ownership should be fined if starters are pulled when a game is in question. Professional leagues are desired around COMPETITION, and resting players without concern of the outcomes is a crock. If they want to put players on the injured list then fine, they can go through the process. All leagues have rules set to ensure "mystery" injuries do not occur.

OK. How do you know when a game is in question? I know the Colts game vs Jets was, but you would need to define criteria. Did Carolina plaster the Giants last week with some subs (because of injury)? The Giants had everything to play for and the Panthers nothing yet Carolina won. The Bengals may want to rest starters against the Jets because it is possible that the Benglas will play the Jets again if the Jets make the playoffs. How do you make the Bengals play their starters and not take them out? That could also be a competitive edge.

Also, you would need this legislation of effort for the bottom teams for draft position. Was Steven Jackson hurt last week or do the Rams want the #1 pick? I think it would be much harder than you think.

Baseball and basketball teams do not throw the subs in for 1 or 2 games (but it has happened - 2 years ago, the Cubs had the division clinched and played their subs against the Brewers who won and got the wildcard). Basketball has a history of teams that tanked at the end to get better draft picks (hence the lottery). Teams still do it for months at the end of seasons to get more ping pong balls in the lottery. Baseball teams routinely play younger players instead of the starters and teams that play them make the playoffs because of it. Actually, there have been studies done where teams that are out of it in some sports can play better knoing they can knock another team out of the playoffs.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Should they also charge extra before they start an overtime period?

Buying a ticket does not entitle you to see what you want to see. There is an inherant risk involved. Iam sure if those who are offended would relinquish their tickets out of protest, hundreds will line up to take them off their hands. Let's see how many of these outraged fans have bite to their bark.

WHat a bunch of cry babies.

I know this is a bit of a different situation, but the Patriots were playing the Texans today. A win by the Patriots would give them the #3 seed (I believe). The Texans needed to win (and get some help) to get in the playoffs. The Patriots rested some players (including Maroney) but started Moss and Welker. Welker was injured making a cut and had to leave the game. Now, should the Patriots be fined for not starting some players who could have played (supposedly)? I am thinking they won't be happy if Welker cannot play next week as well.

Again, I know this is not the same as the Colts and Jets, but I was pointing out the different scenarios and situations that can occur.

If you are in the position you are in at this point where you have to rely on someone else to win to put you in. That's your own fault. If Denver wanted to make the playoffs they should have beaten Washington and Oakland.

Latest posts