Did an Iowa offensive player have a 'tell'?

I'd have to pay more attention in the bowl game, but does the RB line up further back on the PA passes too? If so, then defenses can't sell out on the run just because he's lined up deeper in the backfield.

And every audible is a run play, except for those pass audibles they call ;)

I wish there was a way to track it but it seemed to me like it is a 95% chance that it will be a run play if our QB changes the play at the line.

But I agree, 100% of our audibles are either run or pass plays.

I wish there was a way to track it but it seemed to me like it is a 95% chance that it will be a run play if our QB changes the play at the line.

But I agree, 100% of our audibles are either run or pass plays.

For what it's worth McNutt's TD was an audible at the line.

It wasn't one player who had a tell. It was the whole team. The Hawks have to be one of the most predictable teams in the country.

Like Persa said, preparing for Iowa is easy because they know what we're going to run.

I actually will have the stats for this later this off season but a rough estimate would be 60% of audibles are runs to the short side. This season has seen more passing audibles or at least adjustments to at the line of scrimmage than I can remember since I really started paying attention to this stuff. 2005. I didn't chart plays back then though. I won't be 100% accurate but I will be pretty close.

It wasn't one player who had a tell. It was the whole team. The Hawks have to be one of the most predictable teams in the country.

Like Persa said, preparing for Iowa is easy because they know what we're going to run.

No kidding...I believe the tell may have been, if KF seems relaxed, it's a run. If he has a grimace prior to the play, it must mean pass. Three things can happen if you go to the pass, and two of them are bad.

iowa sometimes shifts into a formation that renders the TE ineligible. i have yet to see us pass out of it.

iowa sometimes shifts into a formation that renders the TE ineligible. i have yet to see us pass out of it.

They save the really clever plays for the bowl game. You will probably see that play in the bowl. There may have been a roll out out of that formation this season but I think you are correct.

They save the really clever plays for the bowl game. You will probably see that play in the bowl. There may have been a roll out out of that formation this season but I think you are correct.

And every few years, to get really really really tricky, we ACTUALLY THROW to the tight end after we switch into the formation that makes the tight end ineligible. It's like an enigma wrapped up inside of a riddle that is really kind of ironic, don't you think?

The reason I ask is that I can't get the story of Iowa beating Michigan State with Jeff Smoker and Charles Rogers when Iowa broke CR's consecutive TD game streak out of my head for some reason when it popped into my mind a few days ago.

If you recall Iowa shut down MSU's offense and the story that resulted was that a walk-on defensive back who didn't play significant minutes (if at all) had noticed studying gamefilm of MSU at home in his apartment one night that Charles Rogers had a tell when the play was going to be a run versus when it was going to be a pass. I think it had to do with the heel of his back foot when he was lined up for the snap.

Anyway, Iowa pretty much shut down MSU and won the game.

Is it possible that an Iowa player on this year's team had a 'tell' sign and that the book on it got out there as the season progressed? I realize it may be a stretch but until someone can explain how Iowa's offense that was averaging over 30 points a game gets held to 17 points per in the last 4 playing against 3 of the worst defenses in the league I think it is as good of an explanation as there is out there.

iahawk72

ummm actually in my brief recollection of that game a guy named bob sanders did most of the shutting down of rogers, because he kept playing bump in run coverage and jamming him at the line, and by jamming i mean kicking his butt and dogging him into the ground. Not so much a tell as more just him plowing Rogers into field turf. although its possible i have the wrong bob sanders vs. charles rogers game in mind there were a couple. I just remember i found it weird that he was covering a receiver one on one most of the game and then i realized why afterwards when rogers couldn't get off the line of scrimmage at all.

I am sure both Indiana and Northwestern knew what Wisconsin was going to run before they racked up 84 and 70 vs. them. The difference they couldn't stop them.

Even if Minny, Indiana, NW at the very least knew what was coming there is no reason our O and the players we have on that side of the ball couldn't score more then 30 on all of those teams. It comes down to execusion and players wanting to kick the crap out of the guy across from them.

Sorry but if we played the same way vs. those teams as we did vs. MSU, tOSU, Wisc. etc. we win all three of those games by 20+ points that's the problem the players only showed up for the "big" games this year.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Good job out of you hoffa.
Its about getting "up" for every game not just the ones on national tv, and not just the ones that the pro scouts will be at. Unfortunately part of this falls on the coaching staff. For some reason in the Ferentz era they haven't been prepared for certain games. They weren't ready to play certain games.

Another thing I have noticed is kind of a personel package tell. Often times they will run out DJK and McNutt and bring in Keenen Davis and Herman. I would say 95%+ of the time this is a running play coming too. Or if they keep in one of the receivers and bring in Morse, that is more often than not a running play too. And you haven't seen it as much this year, but when Morse, or whoever the fullback may be, lines up as a single back this is a pass play 100% of the time.

Latest posts