Did AJ Derby get any meaningful playing time at Iowa?

troy

AJ Derby is long gone, but I can't believe how the program didn't seem to get him involved in meaningful playing time in his two, plus years at Iowa. The Iowa offense did not find him a "Wildcat" package of plays to implement, for even one series. What was Iowa's record the past 2 years?

Derby could have been given a better opportunity to get involved.

Troy, surely you can handle the arithmetic involved in calculating Iowa's record over the past two years. Sorry KOK and Kurt didn't sacrifice practice time to concoct an offensive package around a redshirt freshman. If you are interested in cheering for a team that involves multiple QBs there is one a short drive to the north in Ames and there is one over in Evanston. Of course, you would have to trade 7-6 records for 6-7 records, but the tickets are much cheaper.

AJ Derby is long gone, but I can't believe how the program didn't seem to get him involved in meaningful playing time in his two, plus years at Iowa. The Iowa offense did not find him a "Wildcat" package of plays to implement, for even one series. What was Iowa's record the past 2 years?

If the Hawks would've considered wildcat at all, Mcnutt would've been the guy IMO

The coaches clearly didn't envision him as a quarterback. If they did, he'd still be here. So why would they put in a special QB package for him?

Iowa's O is not good for that. It is predicated on running the fewest amount if plays possible. Think Butler BBall.

Maybe he wasn't good enough... ever think of that?

Never saw him play QB so can't judge him on that, but if KF and NP want you to play LB there's a reason for it. If he has/had aspirations of playing in the NFL, I would think LB would give him the best shot. Think Greenway, same size and I believe Greenway also played QB in high school. Guess he wanted to play QB. Best of luck to him.

Did AJ Derby get any meaningful playing time at Iowa? The real question is, did he show the coaches enough to warrant meaningful playing time at QB. Im thinking no.