Devon Archie Injured (Collarbone)

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
I was told this morning that Archie had a broken collarbone, hawkeyesports.com has now confirmed a shoulder injury to Devon. So whether or not it's a collarbone or a shoulder, Devon is out for a while.

Likely to miss a month or two, should be back for the Big Ten season, though.

Last edited:
Wow, that really sucks. I was looking forward to seeing him get some action in the non-conference schedule. He sounds like he's a great athlete. Looks like he's going to get thrown right into the fire coming back during the Big Ten Season though.

So unfortunate that it has too happen all ready! I am still really looking forward to a productive season and then the 2010-2011 season will be something to get this program rolling again!

Wish you would have been able to break it this morning Spank! Would have loved to see the news broken on a new site! ;)

I was looking forward to seeing Archie play early on to see what he would bring to the table....I guess we will have to wait. I feel bad for him, I wish him good luck and a quick recovery.

Nope, not unless the injury is worse than they think, but they said 4-7 weeks, but usually it is 6-8 weeks, or if it is severe, it is 3-6 months.

They are gonna have to redshirt him aren't they?

I don't think they have to. The issue is big bodies. If Iowa goes into the Big Ten season with a decent record in tow, I don't think they can go the full distance with just Brommer, Cougill, and Cole at the 4/5. They'll need bodies. Sort of why Brommer didn't redshirt last year when he should have.

We'll see though. The lingering effect of missing Archie is his inside presence on the D end. He can really get up there and would be a primary shot blocker when in the game.

Bad news. I hope this is the end of the bad news for the team this season because this team is already thin. I have high hopes for this team to makes strides this season and every set back is criticle. I hope Devon's recovery is quick and he gets back soon.

I think these guys are going to fight hard this year. But I think they are going to struggle. The good news is that football is riding high...and people will be focused on that through December. That's not a shot...this program is rebuilding, and needs another year before the new class gets in, and that won't be smooth sailing right away either...but exciting.

If Archie is out 4 weeks rather than 7 weeks then he might still be able to compete this year. But if he misses 8 weeks it's hard to see how he could contribute very much as a new guy. Hope he is a fast healer!

Stormin' saw a couple posts about Archie being are best post defender. Is that just because he can block shots? I can't imagine he is strong enough to bang with anyone, or is he also good at denying the post feed?

I was looking forward to what he could provide on defense. I hope that is the only injury of the pre-season!!!

This is a shame.Hawks only have 10 scholly athletes as it is, and this cuts that number to 9 for awhile. Hope Archie recovers quickly. Good luck to him.
We have to cross our fingers and pray that the hawks remain healthy and eligible the rest of the way...they have a thin margin of error and a repeat of last year losing players would doom some good kids to a frustrating year of being overmatched just on a numbers basis.

I was looking at the Minny board and they were discussing their Tubby Tipoff event last friday...some were opining off of that performance they could start any one of 13 different guys...and that is with their entire starting five returning from a NCAA team! Minny has to be the deepest team in the league with their #12 and #13 players being top 40 recruits! What a contrast with the Hawks right now. Sad.

Awful news, but this season was going to be a tough one for the bball team. I do, however, like the way Lickliter has the program moving in the right direction. I think next years recruiting class is pretty solid. I'm curious to see how we play this year, but i'm looking forward to the future.

I think these guys are going to fight hard this year. But I think they are going to struggle. The good news is that football is riding high...and people will be focused on that through December. That's not a shot...this program is rebuilding, and needs another year before the new class gets in, and that won't be smooth sailing right away either...but exciting.

I agree Jon - I think it will be a tough season. I just hope to see them be competitive. Iowa really is lacking athleticism, but I think 3 point shooting may keep them in games. I always look forward to the basketball season, although less so in the last few years and that is no dig on Lickliter, but it seems the passion is just not there. Each year starting from last year should be better and I hope we are dancing in 2010-2011.

I don't think they have to. The issue is big bodies. If Iowa goes into the Big Ten season with a decent record in tow, I don't think they can go the full distance with just Brommer, Cougill, and Cole at the 4/5. They'll need bodies. Sort of why Brommer didn't redshirt last year when he should have.

We'll see though. The lingering effect of missing Archie is his inside presence on the D end. He can really get up there and would be a primary shot blocker when in the game.

I don't think Archie will redshirt either, but don't forget about Fuller at the 4.

Latest posts