Devan Kennedy commit

Zstatman

I'm reminded of a picture that surfaced earlier this year of high school teammates LeVar Woods and Kyle Vanden Bosch standing together in the Brophy Prep weight room patting each other on the back.

LeVar was on a recruiting trip where he offered RB Chrisitan Clark a scholarship. Clark just this week committed to the Texas Longhorns.

It wasn't too long after this trip that Iowa offered Vanden Bosch's twin sons, sophomores to be at Brophy, scholarships which prompted our own Fryowa to state something like it would be a cold day in hell before these two played at anywhere other than Nebraska. Maybe so, probably so but that's still a long way away.

Iowa likes to recruit schools with religious affiliations. Brophy is Jesuit Brophy has plenty of money and they have a weight room that is second to none at the high school level. I'm sure the Brophy coach would have met LeVar and I'd guess Kyle and He pointed out that there were other worthy candidates for recruitment, Devan likely being one of them.

I have to wonder, if Devan's first year of organized football was last year what was he doing before that? Wrestling? Track and Field? Weightlifting? Nothing? He's a pretty big dude.

Still, getting a line into a program like this would be a positive. Brophy is typically competitive although not with a string of titles like Dowling. It will be fun to see if this relationship develops into something fruitful.

Looks like a player with such good genetics and potential, was an absolute steal. Could be a gamble that puts another guy either in the pros or at a top 5 school through the portal. Hopefully he loves Iowa.

Let's see him develop into a meaningful player and then we can worry about losing him to the pros or Oregon. I don't mind taking a few flyers in football. 85 schollies is a lot and we don't get much recruiting action in Phoenix.

I read where one of the recruits commented that it seemed like we have a lot of DEs on the roster. It does seem like we have been recruiting a bunch. But if I were a potential DE why wouldn't I want to come to Iowa.

Also a DE recruited to Iowa could move to lots of other postions, offensive or definsive tackle, linebacker, and if they have the speed there are other possibilities.

I read where one of the recruits commented that it seemed like we have a lot of DEs on the roster. It does seem like we have been recruiting a bunch. But if I were a potential DE why wouldn't I want to come to Iowa.

Also a DE recruited to Iowa could move to lots of other postions, offensive or definsive tackle, linebacker, and if they have the speed there are other possibilities.
Yeah and often as they get to be Jrs and SRs some turn into DTs. Graves I think was brought in as a DE and he was quickly moved inside. Bring in a bunch of them guys like that and sort it out later.

Let's see him develop into a meaningful player and then we can worry about losing him to the pros or Oregon. I don't mind taking a few flyers in football. 85 schollies is a lot and we don't get much recruiting action in Phoenix.
Agreed. Iowa does a good job of putting players into the NFL. Infact probably above average considering most are three-star recruits and have to go through the training and development that Iowa offers. So, to worry about losing a player to the pros or another school isn't high on the list of things to be concerned about.

I hope all the recruits can do well at Iowa and develop not only physically and develop their football skills but more importantly as students, future graduates, and good descent men, husbands, and fathers who will make the University of Iowa proud of them.

Latest posts