Describe Your Best Memory from the Fry Era

ChosenChildren

There were so many.

Mine was the famous game in 1981 at Michigan. Michigan was the powerhouse in the Big Ten at that time but Iowa was a surprising 4-1. Michigan was still a heavy favorite to defeat Iowa. Back in those days, most of the games were NOT televised.

There was a closed circuit live showing of the game at the Cedar Rapids 5 seasons center. We drove from Des Moines to attend. There were about 5,000 screaming Iowa fans packed into that arena. It was so loud that there was no sound, but occasionally the live telecast would pan in on the famous Michigan scoreboard.

The game went back and forth and we knew Iowa had a slight lead. It was excruciating, because you did not know how much time was left in the game, and you knew Iowa's lead was oh so precarious.

Finally, after many changes of possession, the camera panned in on the big Michigan scoreboard: IOWA 9 MICHIGAN 7 QUARTER: 4 TIME: 2:34

Can you imagine the excitement when the crowd realized there were only 2 minutes and 34 seconds left in the game? Iowa had not defeated Michigan in 20 years. Michigan was the king of the conference, and UNBEATABLE in the Big House. Michigan had just taken possession on their own 20 yard line after an Iowa punt, and for the FIRST TIME it dawned on that crowd in that arena in Cedar Rapids that Iowa COULD WIN. You just can't imagine the roar and the emotion when the scoreboard appeared with 2:34 showing. I've never experienced any thing like it before or since! Iowa stuffed Michigan on 4 downs and took possession, and then people went crazy. CRAZY. Mobbing each other; crying; laughing; screaming; drinks being thrown; hats or jackets being thrown; yells of ROSE BOWL....ROSE BOWL. That crowd counted down the final 10 seconds and then everyone was hugging everybody. Absolute pandemonium. A monumental, incredible, truly unbelievable and unexpected upset. It had to be one of the biggest, most surprising wins in Iowa football history. Little old Iowa had slayed the Michigan dragon. It was truly David bringing down arrogant Goliath.

I was with my brother and a couple of buddies. It has been 38 years but I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was only 11 for the '81-82 Rose Bowl, but do remember the heartache of the 28-0 defeat. I think the most distinct glorious memory I have is after the Iowa State game in 1985. I was euphoric after the 57-3 dismantling and distinctly remember thinking to myself that we were going to be the #1 team in the country the next week! That was a beautiful five weeks.

I was a little too young for Fry. I obviously remember him and remember watching him and his teams, but I started college in year 2 of Ferentz.

My earliest memory of Fry was as a little kid being at my Dad's company picnic. A bunch of guys were listening to Iowa play Northwestern on the radio and Iowa hung like 60 on them. I remember my dad laughing and saying "typical Hayden just blowing the F out of Northwestern". I have no idea why but that memory has always stuck with me.

Chuck Long on the naked bootleg as he jogged into the endzone with the ball held statue of liberty style so even the officials could see it. I still love that play at the goal line and wish Iowa would run it.
I enjoyed hearing both Long and Fry tell the story of it as well. Fry told him to just do it without telling the team I believe he'd called a running play instead. That way the line and the RB were just running the play. That Rb had to be like WTF when he didn't get the ball. Great memory

I was at the game when Iowa beat the Goof's and went to the Rose Bowl. Everyone was running around w/roses. It was awesome and then I went down to the Airliner and was watching Gable dancing on the dance floor drunker than 10 Indians. God, what a riot.

Another one I thought of, it was when my brother ran track when he was a sophomore. He also played football and loved that more than track. We were at the Blue Oval for the State meet. Hayden was sitting down the same aisle we were. My brother went up to him, and was talking football, got his autograph, and it read, "Mark, I will be watching you for the next two years. Good luck, Hayden". A true gentleman and class act.

I think my goofy brother lost his autograph, couldn't hang on to anything. Damn

after losing to OU 21-6 in 1979, in a post-game interview he was asked (paraphrasing) if he was happy with playing such a close game against OU. he responded with "if i see one player smiling, i'm gonna punch him in the mouth."

that's all you need to know about hayden fry.

Beating Nebraska 10-7 in 1981. That was the moment I thought we had arrived. We had finally turned the corner and the losing seasons were over.

That was a great day.

Beating Nebraska 10-7 in 1981. That was the moment I thought we had arrived. We had finally turned the corner and the losing seasons were over.

That was a great day.
If message boards had existed back then, there would have been more "We're Back" threads started than there were the day Woodbury signed with Iowa basketball. And that was a lot.

The euphoria of 1981 - that year stood in stark contrast to many years. The excitement of winning the conference and the prospect of going to the rose bowl. I got a commemorative Hawkeye Pepsi Bottle.

One of the greatest was the win over #6 UCLA. I was there for that game. I have not been to too many games in my life at Kinnick. It was awesome.

Iowa's 26-0 win over Michigan in 1984 was awesome.

When Iowa beat OHIO STATE in 81 or 82 or was it 83. Long bomb to Moritz

First season 1979.
After years of frustration and non-competitive play suddenly things changed.
The Hawks were competitive, but more importantly they were fun to watch. No more running between the tackles and punting. They were passing when the opponents expected runs and vice versa. In the first games of the year they actually were in a position to win, only to fade at the end. But there was excitement and a sense of change for the better.
The change in the attitude and morale in Hawk fans was beyond description.

Don't forget the poster....that showed in detail the front page of all Big Peach sunday editions of the 1981 season. The day iowa beat UM and ISU beat Nebraksa.

1985 watching Iowa beat Michigan on a last second field goal. Watching it in Harrisburg, Arkansas.

Went to the Arkansas State game, in Jonesboro, Arkansas that evening with my Iowa jacket on. The ASU fans were congratulating me for the big win vs Big Blue.

Hayden was a person who brought hope to Iowa and to the program.

The sun don't shine on the same dog's rump everyday.
Lil dumplings
High Porch Picnic
Bo, we don't plan on punting today
If I catch anybody smiling, I'm going to punch them right in the mouth
The swarm
Tigerhawk
Pink locker room
I instructed Chuck to call a time out with six second to go. Chuck called it with two seconds left. I nearly had a heart attack.

The sun don't shine on the same dog's rump everyday.
Lil dumplings
High Porch Picnic
Bo, we don't plan on punting today
If I catch anybody smiling, I'm going to punch them right in the mouth
The swarm
Tigerhawk
Pink locker room
I instructed Chuck to call a time out with six second to go. Chuck called it with two seconds left. I nearly had a heart attack.
The first home game of Haydens tenure. The very first play, the quarterback went to the line to get under center and shifted to the shotgun. The crowd went crazy! We had never seen anything like it. I also remember, not sure of the year, We buried ISU and we kept running at their big highly touted tackle. Cant remember his name...Bostic maybe? After about the 3rd play he could hardly get up.
I remember he came to Black Hawk County I club banquet in 1979. Had the room in the palm of his hand.

Latest posts