Des Howard on Pellini

Apparently, Martinez used his cell phone in the locker room (while he was being treated) to phone his dad and tell him what the extent of the injury was. Pellini has a policy (like most head coaches) that cell phones are turned off once the team reaches the locker room before the game, and are not to be turned on again until after the game is over).

So Pelini tears him a new one on national television? Classy. Do that stuff in private.

I don't think Des is full of it, Martinez wasn't even in the game when he got that *** chewing, to me there is a time and place for it, but right on the sidelines wasn't the place. If it truly was about him texting in the locker room while getting treatment and not a mistake he made on the field then chew the kid a new one in the locker room and in private.

Are you serious???

You honestly think that Des Howard would have slapped Bo Schembechler in the face if he was yelling at him like that? Please.

Schembechler never did that on the sideline..

agreed. next thing we'll here is punching players is just not a big thing, happened all the times back in the day. You think Woody never did that?? :)

Remember - JM comes from the mean streets of West Branch were people are just naturally tougher and punishment like this is doled out on a routine basis.

Are you serious???

You honestly think that Des Howard would have slapped Bo Schembechler in the face if he was yelling at him like that? Please.

No I don't think he would have slapped Schembechler, that wasn't my point. Would the tactics Bear Bryant used to do in preseason camp when he was at A&M work today? Not a chance, just like the way Schembechler was wouldn't fly today either, is it right? I don't know but times have changed, also I don't think Desmond would have slapped Pellini either, I think his point was you don't berate a kid like he did on the sidelines on national TV and I agree with him, especially when it had nothing to do with anything that happened ON THE FIELD. If you want to jump all over him for what he did in the locker room fine, but keep it a private matter, it wasn't something everyone needed to see.

The only thing I don't understand is why Pelini losing his mind is news. It happens every year. This is what you get with him.

The one who was really out of line was Carl, and hopefully he will at least be suspended for a little bit. If he's not I'd definitely press charges if I was the A&M fan to at least try and recover the cost of the camera.

Basically what this comes down to is that Pelini is a really sore loser. You don't see him doing this stuff when they win. He loses his mind when they get down. Somebody get him some Ferentz gum to help calm him down.

Agreed..... Verbal abuse, hitting, belittling is no longer tolerated. The Good ole coaches (Woody, Bo, Bear, etc..) may have done that in a time when it was more accepted. Call it being a wussy if you want, but the rules are the rules...... Just ask Mark Mangino, Jim Leavitt, or Mike Leach if you don't believe me... Coaches are paid to Coach, not bully kids like a playground thug. I realize Coaches have to get their points across, but you do it from a coaching standpoint, not in anger and hasty emotions.... Kirk Ferentz manages to coach his players without acting like Bo Pelini so we all know it can be done.

Des is full of it.

You think Bo Schembechler didn't get after his players like that? Come on now. Wussyville, USA, population: legion

No. A coach yelled at a player. Serious business.

Seriously, I watched the video after reading this thread, and my initial reaction was "Are these guys serious?"

Latest posts